Hot Yoga

Options
I have been taking an 80 minute hot yoga class - that is a combo of bikram and vinyasa. Anyone know if you burn more calories than regular yoga? Or what the calorie burn is?

Replies

• uponmytoes8884
    uponmytoes8884 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga!! Just did a 530am class this morning :) The teachers at my studio say people burn on average 900-1100 calories during a class, which where I go is 80 minutes. It all depends on how hard you work and your weight etc. The heat increases your heart rate making it a CV workout. I love all the benefits of yoga, fat loss being a bonus :) Enjoy!!
  • jpan1
    jpan1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks - I googled, and even on here - regular yoga is 224/hour.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Consider - if the calorie burn of 900 or so calories has been calculated by the use of a heart rate monitor, a HRM works by counting heartrate over a set period of time and, using an in-built formula, displays a figure for calorie burn.

But in hot yoga, your heart is beating faster in an attempt to cool down the body and not entirely because of increased effort, compared to an unheated vinyasa style yoga session. So your HRM is calculating an over generous calorie burn.

I would suggest a 75 minute vinyasa/power/hot yoga session would burn an average of 4 - 500 calories.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Funny! I took the class this morning and its an intermediate class. I burned about 210 and I wore my Polar Heart RAte monitor. It depends on how hot the room is and how hard you push yourself in the postures and positions. I take it mainly for the deep stretching and adds flexibility and corrects posture issues. it's good after a long week of heavy lifting and spin classes and running! I said I would add once /week.

After meeting a cute 72yr old lady while traveling...she was too cute, heels on, black sexy outfit and dark black bobbed hair cut and spunky!! I went up to her and asked what her secret was and she was too cute! She then told me she was 72 and does yoga and is a belly dance teacher for Carnival cruise line and hikes mountains and everything! After that, I was sold on yoga! I pray when I'm 72 I am bouncing around like her and too sexy and cute!! lol!!

I feel everyone should incorcporate in their workout routines, I never understood the benefit and my new gym offers it and also pilates. Both are awesome and have great health benefits! I don't do for the high burn, but for several other health benefits!

enjoy!!

shan, ATL