Fat people and Amusement Parks

Options

Replies

• yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    U wont have ANY problem fitting!! I went when I was an 18 (I am now a 10) and had no problem!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i can't say that i had an issue on too many rides. At a size 18, it could be a squeeze on some of the older coasters if you share a seat with someone. but as far as belts and bars, nothing that a little sucking in couldn't handle. you'll be fine! enjoy yourself!! :) sounds like you've come a long way!!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I actually had that happen when I was a size 22 (tight fitting). Now that I am a size 16-18 I have had no problems with any of the rides at Kings Dominion or Six Flags :)
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You could always contact the park and ask them what their weight/measurement limits are for rides?

This is a good idea just to make you more comfortable!
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That's one of my major WL goals, to get thin enough to be able to ride amusement park rides again. Although I know I fit just about everything at Disneyland/Disneyworld now (and did when I was even heavier, at 340 lbs), I don't fit the older theme park stuff like at the SC Boardwalk, where I live. Once my weight went over 240, I couldn't ride the coasters anymore, and I went out sobbing on that realization. Although I was a size 20 at that point, so if you're in the 16-18 range, and going to a park with newer rides like Six Flags, you should be fine.
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    First of all, WOW! From a size 32 to a size 18?! That's incredible!

A few years ago, I took my niece and nephew to a Six Flags. I was originally a plus-size 22ish and had dropped down to a regular size 16/18. I had been to an amusement park when I was a size 22W and the seatbelt had fit, though barely and it was uncomfortable. It was also difficult to squeeze in and out of the rides. For each ride, I was like " Will this seatbelt fit around me?", "Will I have to get off and embarasse (sp) myself?

It felt soooo much better after I had lost weight and I was able to enjoy the experience. You'll love it, I hope you have an amazing time for such an awesome accomplishment!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I was much bigger than your pic looks two years ago when I went to Universal Studios Florida. I fit. I had to go to the fat boy seats, and they had to crank on the restraint to get me in, but I never had to get out.
  • shanebovee
    shanebovee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a couple of years back at Universal Studios/islands of Adventure , I tried to get on a rollar Coaster ride, and they couldn't get the bar down or some sort of balanced system thing so they pulled me off, my family got off too and told me that if I couldn't get on then they wouldn't - that day was hard but it really stuck with me and helps motivate me with the MFP journey I am taking now. I'd like to return to that park and ride that darn ride in the future - go in with confidence and don't worry about the outcome :)
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I remember just a few years ago being so scared of that! I would be in line watching all the people getting on before me and trying to figure out if they were bigger than me (I was probably a 16-18 at the time) and I would try to find someone who i felt was bigger than me and see if they had any problem fitting on the ride. I have seen people turned away after everyone struggled to get the restraints to close and I always felt so bad for them. There was only one ride at Knott's Berry Farm that I couldn't get the lap belt to close and I had to get off but it was an old kiddie ride so you should be just fine. But keep up all the good work and you will be even more comfortable going and be able to enjoy yourself more! Have fun!!!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    so you KNOw you're not a fat person but, deep down, you still FEEL like a fat person?

i think this theme park experience will be liberating! you'll fit into normal seats and start to feel normal.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You should be able to get on the rides without question.

I agree with the above poster. You have made a MAJOR accomplishment in your life, but you aren't embracing the victory yet. You may still feel like a size 32, even though you are a 16/18. Bask in it, and enjoy it - you've done so much for your health and well being.

That said, there's nothing wrong with staying motivated. I just hope that you realize what strides that you have made.
  • Absandok23
    Absandok23 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have a problem fitting on the rides. The problem I have is my hips. My husband is 6"1' and about 300 and he had no problem fitting, but I was fitting in really tight because of my hips!
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    Wow! Once again the amount of support here is simply amazing!

To date since I started this journey 3 years ago, I have lost over 100 pounds. I used to love roller coasters when I was younger, but since I gained the weight I have been terrified. My problem is my hips. I've been blessed with an hour glass type figure, but my hips are HUGE. It's ridiculous. I am an 18 in plus sizes specialty shops...not an 18 where I can walk into any ordinary clothing store and buy a size 18. This is one reason behind my fear.

I am embracing what I have done. I know that I have come so far and I have no intention of quitting. But no one likes to be humiliated. My weight and size have kept me from doing so many things that I have wanted to do and to be humiliated after I think that I have accomplished so much would be horrible.

Y'all have made me feel better though. Thank you SO very much for your words of support and encouragement and reassurance. I love my MFP family!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Six Flags has a 54" rule of thumb, if your chest is larger than that then you will have an issue on some rides, otherwise your won't.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    Six Flags has a 54" rule of thumb, if your chest is larger than that then you will have an issue on some rides, otherwise your won't.

My Chest is definitely smaller than 54. My hips aren't though!!! :grumble:
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Your story and mine are very similar. I am a little over 100 pounds down from where I was 12 years ago. The good news is that you will fit!! Have a blast and congratulations on your weight loss! :smile: :smile:
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I only had it happen to me once. The bar wouldn't go down all the way when I tried to ride the harry potter indoor roller coaster in Florida. I had to get off and wait for a seat for bigger people. They actually had bigger seats. It was a little bit embarassing and not something I want to go through again.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Quit worrying. You're NOT too big at size 18, even if nothing changes before then.
  • Foxxy18
    Foxxy18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I was a size 18, I had no problem getting onto roller coasters. I think you'll be fine(: