how many calories do you consume?

Options
Wondering how you guys calculate how many cal a day you eat. Mfp tells me I should eat a low number, my trainer says between 1500-1700 and doing the BMR method it tells me to eat 2165 ish. Thoughts? i've lost 25, need to lose another 50.

Replies

• fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I go to Weight Watchers so they have set a points value for me, which works out to EXACTLY what MFP tells me I should eat, which is 1250. I always eat more than that by 200-400 calories though because I eat my exercise back and use my weekly bonus points. So to answer I am generally eating 1450-1650 daily. I am a 33 year old female, starting weight 239.6, total loss 9.4, 66 to go.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I set my calories and macros according to the info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Best move I ever made - started it about a year ago and have the best success since then.
  • divid
    divid Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I set my calories and macros according to the info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Best move I ever made - started it about a year ago and have the best success since then.

I was reading this last night which was kinda why I was contemplating changing. Thanks for the help!
  • EasyBakeOven
    EasyBakeOven Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Found this explanation to be a pretty simple guide, I set my macros according to the information in this thread. It has been very helpful to me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr?hl=Anewlucia
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1800 + exercise calories which is roughly 600 below my TDEE
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I came to MFP at 180 lbs and ate 1660 + exercise calories... which worked out to about 2100 calories daily to lose. I'm now 156 lbs and my TDEE is about 2600 calories/day.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1300. My BMR is 1460, and I'm 40-years-old with a desk job.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Wondering how you guys calculate how many cal a day you eat. Mfp tells me I should eat a low number, my trainer says between 1500-1700 and doing the BMR method it tells me to eat 2165 ish. Thoughts? i've lost 25, need to lose another 50.

Your trainer is probably about right. There is no "BMR method"...I assume you're talking TDEE Method. I have no idea what your activity level is like, but 2165 looks like it could be your TDEE (maintenance)...to lose weight, you would do TDEE - XX%...often minus 20% which would put you around 1,700 calories for weight loss.

Just remember if you use that method (TDEE), your exercise is included in your gross calorie intake. If you use the MFP method, they use your NEAT rather than your true TDEE...so exercise is extra and you should eat those calories back.
  • jimosaurus42
    Options
    I eat 1200-1299 calories a day. I am a 24 year old 6" tall male. I find this works relatively quickly while stil allowing me to get all of the nutrients I need. Hope this helps. Also, I generally don't eat all of my calories back because I feel that MFP overestimates calories burned (especially for the lowest and highest intensity exercises like walking [low] or snowshoeing [high]) and it impacts weight loss in a very negative light.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Both MFP and In Place of a Road Map give me less than what I think I need.

I've been doing my own calculations for WEEKLY DEFICIT and find it much more accurate.
    So, I use MFP to calculate my daily intake - it's great for that.
    I put that on a spreadsheet like this:

what I ate today - what I think my TDEE was = deficit (or surplus)

When I lose a pound, I go back and see how it works out with the numbers.

If, according to my calculations, I only had a deficit of 2,500, I know my TDEE was off.
    So I can up it or lower it as need be. It takes time, but it really works.

All that said, I'm 5'0, burning 300-400 exercise cals a day, eating average 2,000 calories.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

i started using this method a little over a week ago and i am eating jsut over 1800 calories daily.

i am 5'8" and 153 lb
  • sammycat1
    sammycat1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Ditto, upped mine to 1400, and feel so much better and weight coming off.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Roughly about 1700. I was eating around 1400 but I was always hungry. I upped my calories and the last 10 pounds I wanted to lose is melting off.
  • mcouturezz
    mcouturezz Posts: 145
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-1299 calories a day. I am a 24 year old 6" tall male. I find this works relatively quickly while stil allowing me to get all of the nutrients I need. Hope this helps. Also, I generally don't eat all of my calories back because I feel that MFP overestimates calories burned (especially for the lowest and highest intensity exercises like walking [low] or snowshoeing [high]) and it impacts weight loss in a very negative light.

If you don't work out at all, your 6'0", 24 year old ~180 lb body will burn about 2300 calories daily. Much of the weight you're losing is coming from lean mass.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I use the Scooby Workshop calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) to calculate my TDEE based on no exercise, subtract 15% from that and use that as my net goal (which is 1400 give or take a few). I eat my exercise calories back.
  • divid
    divid Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Your trainer is probably about right. There is no "BMR method"...I assume you're talking TDEE Method. I have no idea what your activity level is like, but 2165 looks like it could be your TDEE (maintenance)...to lose weight, you would do TDEE - XX%...often minus 20% which would put you around 1,700 calories for weight loss.

Just remember if you use that method (TDEE), your exercise is included in your gross calorie intake. If you use the MFP method, they use your NEAT rather than your true TDEE...so exercise is extra and you should eat those calories back.

Yep I was talking about the TDEE method, i go to the gym about 6 days a week..so i'm thinking I need to up my calories based on this method. lately i've had my calories set at 1700 and sometimes I eat back some of my calories when I work out and sometimes I don't. Just trying to figure out if I should focus on calories or just eating clean?