Running Alternative

Options
Up until October last year I was running 3-4x a week, not because I enjoyed it, but loved the results. Then I had a hip scope to fix a tear & a bone chip removed and my thigh bone sanded down. After i was finally off crutches and done with PT in December, I gave running a try once more. I was in pain by the half way mark and haven't tried it since. I do hit the elliptical & walk on an incline at a high speed at the gym, but don't see the results like before. I had someone tell me that it could take up to a year before i might be able to run like I was doing before. I get bored with the machines indoors and like the running challenge outdoors provides.

Any suggestions, clues, ideas... getting frustrated but don't plan to quit any time soon :bigsmile:

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Katz good morning. Would you mind sharing what your doctor and your physiotherapist have recommended for you in the meantime, just so that before anyone dares share a suggestion, we may first conceptualise what you're allowed exactly ~ (the range of physical activity)?
  • llama_sammich
    Options
    Swim!!!

I honestly hate running. It hurts me. My joints, my breasts, my lungs...ugh. No thanks.

Swimming works evvvvery part of your body. That used to be all I did. Not for exercise but training for my lifeguarding courses. And my body was so toned... My legs, my arms, my stomach, butt, back...everything. And I find it incredibly relaxing. I left my mind drift and everything that's bothering me just...floats away.

A couple years ago, I was hitting the gym for an hour then swimming for an hour and I was seeing results within a month-a month and a half. And I wasn't achy or in pain at all. It was delightful :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Have you sought the advice of a PT or your surgeon/doctor? You may need to build your running base back up. Start with walking. Do it outside, since you like that better. BUild up to a solid 30 minutes at a brisk pace. Then, try something like the Couch to 5K program, or your own (gentle) interval program. Gradually increase running time and decrease walking time. Then, graduallyup the destance and or speed. You may just need to ease your way into it.

Have you tried the rowing machine?
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Swim!!!

I honestly hate running. It hurts me. My joints, my breasts, my lungs...ugh. No thanks.

Swimming works evvvvery part of your body. That used to be all I did. Not for exercise but training for my lifeguarding courses. And my body was so toned... My legs, my arms, my stomach, butt, back...everything. And I find it incredibly relaxing. I left my mind drift and everything that's bothering me just...floats away.

A couple years ago, I was hitting the gym for an hour then swimming for an hour and I was seeing results within a month-a month and a half. And I wasn't achy or in pain at all. It was delightful :)

^^this!! Swimming is great. Cardio + resistance. If you find that you have trouble kicking because of you hip/thigh use a buoy.
  • katzbluez
    katzbluez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do have my own pool so I will be back in it within the next coucle of months. My doctor said I should listen to my PT on what to do/not to do after therapy ended. She suggested the elliptical and walking on the treadmill and to progress as my body 'lets' me. I just don't have patience and am frustrated that I am not back to where I was last fall.