Losing Faster Than Planned

Options
I have been using MFP consistently for about 5 and a half weeks. I used the MFP guided goal setting and placed it at 1 pound a week. I've adjusted my goal every 5 pounds so I stay at a consistent deficit.

I usually have some calories left over at the end of the day and more if I do any workouts.

The point of my post is that in my 5.5 weeks, I've dropped 24 pounds :noway: My biggest loss in one week was 7 pounds.

I've considered calling my doctor, but I wanted to check with the masses first. Most have told me that I'm perfectly fine, but I'm still a tad worried. I'm not trying to screw my body up... It's the only one I've got!

Replies

• ctheluck
    ctheluck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you. I think because you have quite a bit to lose, you are ok, and as you get smaller, those losses will slow down.

It would help if you opened your diary so we could see what your net calories, etc are... You definitely don't want to under-eat to a point that your body is starved for nutrition.
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Weight typically comes off a bit faster the more you have to lose. Enjoy it because it won't always be that way :)
  • valmegb
    valmegb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Remember if this is a major over haul and you were quite heavy then the weight will fall off quicker. You will eventually start losing weight slower. Enjoy it while it lasts, your obviously doing the right things!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That's a relatively unusual complaint around here :)

But you are right that it *could* be something to worry about. Or not--it depends.

The first few weeks can be a period of heavy water loss, especially if you tend to retain a lot of water in your fatty tissue. This is especially true if you are changing not just how much you eat but what you eat (e.g., less salt, fewer carb-y foods, etc.). Many people drop loads of weight early on because of water loss and then get discouraged when they hit a plateau.
  • Gimarie_sud
    Gimarie_sud Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You are fine, the more you have the more you lose. I lost 11 lb the first 6 days
  • graciesmomma0209
    graciesmomma0209 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Some of it was probably water weight. I have lost almost 15 pounds in 4 weeks and I am not worried about it yet. I know that a lot was water weight. I would give it a couple more weeks and see if you don't start to even out on your weight loss a little. I am still averaging about a pound a day now but I know that soon it will stop and will be small amounts every week.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I started at 274 and lost the first 20 lbs in 4 weeks. Enjoy it, it don't last LOL
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to lose faster at the beginning, especially if you have a good bit to lose. Do eat all of your calories, including those from exercise. It's really important to give your body adequate protein and other nutrients to recover from your workouts and maintain your health. And don't be discouraged when the weight loss slows, as it will. It's just a normal adjustment.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    I lost a lot at first, and it definitely slows down as you get closer to your goals. The final 20 pounds is taking at least 3 times as long as the first 20 did!
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it! It will taper off. When I started I was losing pretty much at the same rate you are. My biggest loss one week was just over 7lbs as well.
    I've been at it for almost 5 months now, and my rate of loss has slowed down. I actually had a GAIN 2 weeks ago for NO apparent reason.

Now I am losing approx 8lbs per month average.
    Over all, i'm just over 10lb/month, but that's because of the quick/big losses I had at the beginning.

As long as you are meeting all of your health requirements, i'd keep doing what you're doing.

Good job!
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If it worries you, you could try increasing your calories, or increasing your activity level? You might just not be eating enough.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies! I do have quite a bit of weight to lose. I started out at 290 and I would like to be in the 150s when all is said and done. I may change that goal once I get closer.

I started off eating what I normally do, just smaller amounts. I cut a lot of my sugar down and I'm trying to reduce sodium.

I also went from sitting on my bum most of the time to doing some kind of workout 3-4 days a week. Even if it's just a walk around my neighborhood.

Edti: My diary is also open now!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies! I do have quite a bit of weight to lose. I started out at 290 and I would like to be in the 150s when all is said and done. I may change that goal once I get closer.

I started off eating what I normally do, just smaller amounts. I cut a lot of my sugar down and I'm trying to reduce sodium.

I also went from sitting on my bum most of the time to doing some kind of workout 3-4 days a week. Even if it's just a walk around my neighborhood.

Well, keep it up--things will probably slow down a bit in the next few weeks, but you know to expect it now :)
  • SweetTart87
    Options
    When you have more to loose than the pounds fly off a lot faster. I was the exact same way. I was loosing 4 lbs on average a week and when I hit the 2 month mark I had lost a total of 33 lbs. Then I plateaued for about 1 month. Eventually your body will start to slow down and you won't loose so much. I say keep doing what your doing because tomorrow might be the day your body stops loosing so much weight.
  • wdeidra19
    wdeidra19 Posts: 30
    Options
    HOW did you do it? What was your daily rountine?
  • dramallamaduck
    Options
    Daily routine:

Wake up around 6:00am.
    Breakfast and out the door by 6:45.
    Work from 8:15ish to 4:30ish.
    Lunch either a 6' Subway with a ton of veggies or something packed (protien bars, string cheese, yogurt, carrots, granola bars, left overs, etc...). Usually I eat around noon.
    Lots of water throughout the day.
    Dinner around 6:30 or 7:00.
    7:00-8:00 take care of chores/down time/play with the dog
    8:00 is time to workout. Either time on the elliptical, C25K, squats, walking, etc... Something for 20-30 minutes.
    8:45 Personal time (shower, talking on the phone, reading, etc...)
    Asleep around 10:00-10:30.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

Starting at 290 it is perfectly reasonable that you would lose more than 2lbs a week (in the beginning) dont be disappointed because within the next few it will slow down, but awesome motivator for such a great start!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, you lose faster when you have more to lose. Also, one tends to lose a lot of water weight early on as well. It will eventually taper off, so enjoy the ride for now.
  • dramallamaduck
    Options
    This may sound goofy, but I'm ok with only losing a pound a week! I was really stressed out when I saw the 7 pound drop. I just knew I had done something wrong.

All my life I've heard that losing weight slowly helps you to keep it off and that weight lost quickly is gained back easily. I think I'm still under that mindset (I'm pretty sure it's wrong, especially if you are losing the proper way). I know that what I'm doing is changing my lifestyle.. It's the mental part of the journey that I struggle with the most.
  • EAPTX
    EAPTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree it comes off faster at first, especially with reduced sodium. But I looked at your diary, and you have some big deficits because you get a lot of credits for exercise and haven't eaten to those numbers. Keep in mind that MFP has a built in deficit, so if you eat to your goal (including exercise) you'll lose the amount per week that you've set it to. You could stand to fill in with some bulky, healthy veggies and fruits to keep your body nourished. When your weight loss slows down, you might want to eat to your limit to be sure you're keeping your metabolism pumped - though the exercise makes a huge difference, especially if you're gaining muscle! Congratulations on your accomplishments so far.