Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are some penalties/rewards you use for motivation?

2»

Replies

• Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    I was recently reading a great heath book called "Drop dead healthy" and one of the motivational tools that the author found was to write a cheque to a cause you hate and give it to a friend, then if you do something you don't want to do they send it in.

Example: I want to go to the gym and work with my trainer 3 times a week. ----> Give your trainer a cheque for $100 to the KKK, or neo-nazi local group(insert a cause you hate, pro-abortion group/anti-abortion group whatever) with a postage paid envelope. Then instruct him or her that if you don't show up three times a wekk they are to send it in. Seeing your money go to something you hate, and potentially getting a tax reciept to remind you can be a powerful motivator to do something!

Or reward yourself, but I think that the study this comes out of demonstrated greater completion of goals with the huge negative penalty rather then a positive reward (that you might just get yourself anyway)
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    I was recently reading a great heath book called "Drop dead healthy" and one of the motivational tools that the author found was to write a cheque to a cause you hate and give it to a friend, then if you do something you don't want to do they send it in.

Example: I want to go to the gym and work with my trainer 3 times a week. ----> Give your trainer a cheque for $100 to the KKK, or neo-nazi local group(insert a cause you hate, pro-abortion group/anti-abortion group whatever) with a postage paid envelope. Then instruct him or her that if you don't show up three times a wekk they are to send it in. Seeing your money go to something you hate, and potentially getting a tax reciept to remind you can be a powerful motivator to do something!

Or reward yourself, but I think that the study this comes out of demonstrated greater completion of goals with the huge negative penalty rather then a positive reward (that you might just get yourself anyway)

I don't think there is any excuse to give money to those people!
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Which is why it can be a great motivator!

okay maybe tone it back a bit and not do the KKK, but there has to be something you dislike that you would rather not send money to. The canadian seal hunters federation? The 7 day cleanse support groups? People for a smoking america? Something.
  • I adore dresses, so if I'm good for a month, I get to buy myself one :)