What is my activity level?

Options
Hello,
I am trying to figure out how many calories I should be eating per day. I am used to not eating much and so this is all new to me. I feel like I am eating way too much but then I read things about the body going into 'starvation mode' and perhaps I am doing that? Eating next to nothing kept me thin most of my life but Im 28 now and my body is gaining. Im trying to make a healthy change I guess.

So activity wise; I usually run or do cardio for an hour each day (not light cardio but soaked with sweat cardio) and I lift weights for about 30 minutes. Is this moderate? or very active?

I've opened up my food diary so I'd also appriciate comments on that.

Thank you very much to those who can help me out.

Replies

• nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out how many calories your body needs to maintain your life. You can do this by either following the steps on "roadmap" (search for this in the MFP forums) or go to this website: http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php. Once you know what you need to eat, then you will eat a deficit (up to 30% to lose weight).

Your activity level would be as follows:
    - Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    - Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    - Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    - Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

Regarding your exercise calories, most would agree that you should eat half of the calories you burned so you are fueling your body.

This is a frequent topic on the forums. It is confusing and could take a few weeks for your body to react.
  • LittleMissLisa
    Options
    I have figured out my BMR is 1486.1. So if I then "guess" (but i dont really know) that my activity level is somewhere between active and very active (1.6) than I should be eating 2377.76 calories to MAINTAIN (if I understand correctly). BUT of course I want to loose. So MFP says I should consume around 1200 calories a day. but isnt that too little?

I feel like I should have a PhD to figure this out.
  • nczuczu
    Options
    From everything I read, if you go with what MFP sets you at, then you should eat back at least half of your calories from exercise. If you go with the TDEE, then you would not eat back the exercise calories. At 1200 calories, you definitely need to eat those calories back...you never want to go below 1200 Net calories.
  • nczuczu
    Options
    Now mind you, I am no expert. Just a person trying to lose weight and have seen a lot on the forums about this.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's numbers then you choose your setting based on your "job" whether it be working an 8 hour day or tending your home. Exercise is added separately as you do it and it's your choice whether you eat those calories or not. I have a desk job so I'm set at sedentary but if I go for a run I log those calories under Exercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your tdee sound about right. Keep in mind you will have to try a few things for a month to see results. I would take 20% of your tdee number and try that for a month. Also, i would adjust macros to 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats to start. Protein is critical to muscle retention. Also, i would suggest cutting some cardio out. I would limit it to 2-3 days to help preserve as much muscle as possible. I would also increase the weight training. Either 3 full body workouts for an hour, if time allows, or start a program like strong lift 5x5. You can keep reps around 8-12 for optimal strength gains.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're using MFP's numbers then you choose your setting based on your "job" whether it be working an 8 hour day or tending your home. Exercise is added separately as you do it and it's your choice whether you eat those calories or not. I have a desk job so I'm set at sedentary but if I go for a run I log those calories under Exercise.

If you want to get technical, if you follow mfp then you should eat back exercise calories... it wouldnt be a choice then, its following a program as designed.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Do not include dedicated exercise in your activity level setting, but instead log those using the Exercise tab. Your activity level is based on your job (usually 8 hours per day).

This will help you understand MFP and how to make it work for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    To answer your actual question... I think that to be safe I would probably use "moderate", but again, I usually error on the side of caution and am not an expert. I say try that and if you seem to be not losing the way you want to, maybe bump it up to very active and give it a try for a while and see if you like that better...I guess I'm not really much help, LOL! Good Luck!
  • LittleMissLisa
    Options
    Thanks for your help! its appreciated.