Tell me about heart rate monitors...

Options
So I'm thinking about starting to run and I want to buy a CHEAP but accurate heart rate monitor.

I've never used one in my life, so I'm clueless.

Where can I get a GOOD cheap one?
What is the best one to use?

etc...

Replies

• Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    I have just bought myself a Polar FT7 from Amazon, mainly based on the reviews plus I'd been gifted with a £50 voucher to spend. Should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to using it! It cost £65 so cheaper I'm not sure what to recommend, I just liked the look of this particular one and thought (or rather hope) to get plenty of use!

Good luck!
  • divid
    divid Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I bought a polar ft7 from amazon.ca and i love it. it has a chest strap which i find to be more accurate than the cheap one I had before with no strap. best purchase I've made
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A Polar FT4 will probably be your best buy. You need a brand name monitor with a chest strap to get an accuracy.
  • LAWSBIGGAL
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A Polar FT4 will probably be your best buy. You need a brand name monitor with a chest strap to get an accuracy.

This! I have the ft4 - super easy to use and not too hard on the wallet.
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I agree! I LOVE mine! Got it on Amazon :)
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I agree! I LOVE mine! Got it on Amazon :)

I 4th this suggestion. I also have an FT4 and it's really easy to use. It's a small investment (I think I got mine for $80), but it seems like it'll last forever. Very well made.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap Crane one from Aldi. Was about £13 I think. Works perfectly for monitoring my heart rate but a bit generous on calorie estimates. If you're not bothered about the calorie information I would recommend it. I just use the strap with the gym machines and it gives a consistent signal.
  • RhondaOnAJourney
    RhondaOnAJourney Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a Gaiam Oregon which is the watch-like one, and I love it. I've tested it, and it's pretty accurate. I got a great deal on it on Amazon. I love having it...the read-outs on the cardio machines are SO OFF (as is to be expected...). I never realized how far off they are until I started using a HRM.