HRM?

Options
i was thinking about getting a heart rate monitor today. i heard they're great and they really help people see how many calories they're burning accurately and if they should step it up a notch. i feel lately that i'm growing tired with my workouts. they get me sweating, but my heart rate doesn't really get going much. my question is, what heart rate monitor should i get? specific brands? or does it really matter? i seen a lot of ones on the walmart website, and i'm really not sure which one to get. i just want something basic, that will count my calories...nothing fancy.

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    HRM's are great and it's the only way to know exactly how many calories your burning as I find the the MFP calculator calculates the calories burned way too high (no offence MFP I love the site). :heart:

I say just buy a basic one as really all you need it to do is teel you how many calories you've burned. I know there are really fancy ones out there which do hundreds of things but is it really necessary? Nah, just go for a simple one, it will do the job.
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try to get one with the "strap". They are more accurate. Plus, you don't have to keep pushing buttons to see where you are. I have a Polar -- seems to be very popular. They are very motivating -- I keep trying to add to the previous day calorie loss! They run around $100 but it's worth every dollar.....
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Try to get one with the "strap". They are more accurate. Plus, you don't have to keep pushing buttons to see where you are. I have a Polar -- seems to be very popular. They are very motivating -- I keep trying to add to the previous day calorie loss! They run around $100 but it's worth every dollar.....

If you search the message boards there are a ton of good posts about HRM's. But I agree, you need one that has a chest strap. I personally have a Polar FT7 I got less than a month ago and it's great.
  • ChristineMcGrae
    Options
    I have one ordered and it should be hear early next week.. can not wait! :love: Mine is a Polar RS200

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-RS200-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000H287NI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1276982480&sr=8-1

In my research before I bought mine I can agree that you need one with a strap they are far more accurate. Also it is best that it has a feature that not only has a calorie count but tracks energy expenditure, this also makes it far more accurate.

:flowerforyou:
  • care1221
    care1221 Posts: 27
    Options
    i have polar ft6 i got it on amazon.com for really cheap and it does its job i really like it it keeps me modivated.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I just went to ****'s Sporting Goods today and bought a PolarFT4. I love it. It also came with the chest strap. After my first workout wearing one I now see that MFP was way overestimating my calories burned, by like 100. That's a lot to be overeating each day, considering I wasn't really burning that much. I have researched a lot of HRM and found this one to meet my needs, but you can find them anywhere from sporting good shops, to Walmart and Target. Also, check out Overstock and Amazon. Good luck to you!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I just went to ****'s Sporting Goods today and bought a PolarFT4. I love it. It also came with the chest strap. After my first workout wearing one I now see that MFP was way overestimating my calories burned, by like 100. That's a lot to be overeating each day, considering I wasn't really burning that much. I have researched a lot of HRM and found this one to meet my needs, but you can find them anywhere from sporting good shops, to Walmart and Target. Also, check out Overstock and Amazon. Good luck to you!

Wow, I just saw that it blanked out the first part of the name of the chain sporting goods store! Too crazy. Sorry MFP, I wasn't trying to be derogatory!
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Wow, I just saw that it blanked out the first part of the name of the chain sporting goods store! Too crazy. Sorry MFP, I wasn't trying to be derogatory!

HA! Were you referring to, uh, RIchard's Sporting Goods, aka....? That's where I got mine. :wink: