Losing weight at a snails pace...scale and NSV

Options
1brokegal44
1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
I refuse to call this a "journey", as that implies a beginning and an end. For me this is a quest...a mission...an attitude adjustment....mind over all of my matter! I WILL make my body conform to what's in my mind!

But it's just taking so freakin' long. I've been actively at this since mid-January and have lost a whopping 6 lbs. On the one hand this absolutely frustrates me. 2 months and only 6 lbs?? WTF?? But, on the other hand, I do see and feel changes in my body. Clothes are looser. My tummy and arms are a little tighter.

I didn't take before pictures, but the motivational bikini has been purchased and I've promised myself that I'd post the requisite bikini shot when I reach 10 lbs gone.

I will not quit. I will get there. I will succeed.

Replies

• AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    KEEP ON GOING. Don't give up because you WILL look back one day and say WOW I didn't think this day would ever get here, but I'm in my BIKINI!!!!! "Never give up on a dream due to the amount of time it takes to accomplish it... the time will pass anyway" :flowerforyou:
  • salmonmama
    salmonmama Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! I'm like at a 1 pound every 2 weeks pace (if that). Slowly, but surely!

Took me 10 years to gain all this weight, and I calculate it may take 1-2 years to take it off.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    There is no harm in calling this a journey. Consider it a journey of life which ends when your six feet under and people throw dirt on your face :tongue:
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! I'm like at a 1 pound every 2 weeks pace (if that). Slowly, but surely!

Took me 10 years to gain all this weight, and I calculate it may take 1-2 years to take it off.

I'm about the same. The closer you get to goal the slower it goes. At this rate I would be happy to see 3 lbs a month loss ;) Considering you have less to lose your rate is really good! Don't get frustrated - you are doing it right!
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I, too, have labeled this a quest. It even says so on my profile :) It's hard to rewire my brain to think of this as a permanent change, but that's what I'm trying to do. I'm right there with you. I've been working out HARD every other day for months and I haven't seen the scale budge. My body is changing, but it would be so nice just to see that number go down. We all have our frustrated moments. Mine was yesterday when I kicked the scale across the floor. Hopefully it helps to know that there are many other people out there just like you, all struggling to find that sweet spot that will get us where we are trying to go. Good luck to you. It sounds like you have the right attitude and that makes all the difference.
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am also taking the slow way, 5 months.. 5 long months and just shy of 25lbs gone. I was doing pretty good, and then over the last 30 days I have been swinging between a gain or lose of 3lbs. Driving me crazy, but I am starting to look at NSV more. For one, I am wearing a pair of jeans just l couldn't tolerate the tight waist band of last week. Today, I am comfortable in them. Will actually be able to wear them all day, versus changing them within 2 hours.

My doctor says the slower the weight loss, the better chance you have that you have developed changes in your lifestyle versus a "diet". Changes within your lifestyle help assure you will not gain the weight back.

Are you feeling better than you did 30 days ago? Stronger and more capable due to you increasing your activity? Slow and steady is the best way to go. Your doing great! Remember that!
  • debbieled32
    Options
    you always have to remember, you got the way you where over your life time so far. its not just going to come off in 2 months. keep at it. its a life style change, it takes time. we all understand. :laugh:
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Don't trust the scale. You are replacing muscle with fat which weighs more and for some people it takes longer to show on the scale. I have been stuck at the same weight for 4 weeks now but I measure myself every week and that is showing me that I am loosing weight. 6 lbs is fantastic. Keep up the good work.
  • Caleen58
    Caleen58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I refuse to call this a "journey", as that implies a beginning and an end. For me this is a quest...a mission...an attitude adjustment....mind over all of my matter! I WILL make my body conform to what's in my mind!

But it's just taking so freakin' long. I've been actively at this since mid-January and have lost a whopping 6 lbs. On the one hand this absolutely frustrates me. 2 months and only 6 lbs?? WTF?? But, on the other hand, I do see and feel changes in my body. Clothes are looser. My tummy and arms are a little tighter.

I didn't take before pictures, but the motivational bikini has been purchased and I've promised myself that I'd post the requisite bikini shot when I reach 10 lbs gone.

I will not quit. I will get there. I will succeed.
  • missff
    missff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I've been doing this for 12 weeks and I've lost 10lbs so far (weigh in tomorrow so hopefully a bit more). It sounds like such a measly number doesn't it? I'm not doing much in the way of exercise as I'm recovering from a foot injury so no chance of me replacing fat with muscle, BUT! on the plus side, my "fat trousers" are much more loose, my jeans are no longer cutting into me like a cheesewire and I can now do the bottom button of my coat up so I'm on the right track. It took me 5 months to put on this extra weight so I guess it's going to take 5 months to get it off. I'm not giving up either!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Two months is NOTHING!

It does sound like you are in it for the duration so....HANG IN THERE BABY!

FYI.....I've been at it for 10 weeks and have lost 10 pounds!!! I'm VERY happy with those results as it's exactly what MFP set things up to do.

Good luck!
  • pl7285
    pl7285 Posts: 14
    Options
    Just want you to know you helped me today, I too started the same time as you this year and only down 5 pounds, I too feel the difference in my body, more tone, clothes fitting better. But I totally know how you feel! Reading this made me feel like I'm not alone and you are not either! I just try to thinking this way...... I'm not gaining and I'm NOT going to quit!,,,,,,, It will happen, hang in there!!!!!!
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Member since Dec 2, 2012.. really serious since Dec 27th. I've also been frustrated by the evil scale..but my daily NSV's has put me in a happy place. Yesterday, able to take off my size 18 w jeans without unbuttoning or unzipping.. Today tried on a size 16 jean skirt and I looked GOOD...
    Snail pace is ok inches is better!!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    The RPG nerd in me would definitely consider this a quest. A quest for a better body.
  • 1brokegal44
    Options
    Member since Dec 2, 2012.. really serious since Dec 27th. I've also been frustrated by the evil scale..but my daily NSV's has put me in a happy place. Yesterday, able to take off my size 18 w jeans without unbuttoning or unzipping.. Today tried on a size 16 jean skirt and I looked GOOD...
    Snail pace is ok inches is better!!
    Whoohoo! :drinker:
  • 1brokegal44
    Options
    Just want you to know you helped me today, I too started the same time as you this year and only down 5 pounds, I too feel the difference in my body, more tone, clothes fitting better. But I totally know how you feel! Reading this made me feel like I'm not alone and you are not either! I just try to thinking this way...... I'm not gaining and I'm NOT going to quit!,,,,,,, It will happen, hang in there!!!!!!
    Thanks! We are not alone in this. The more time I spend on this site, the more I realize how many of us 40ish folk are in the same boat. I know I can do this because I've done it before. I want faster results, but I know I need to appreciate all the small victories along the way. :happy:
  • 1brokegal44
    Options
    The RPG nerd in me would definitely consider this a quest. A quest for a better body.
    :happy:
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Week 12 here and a piddly loss of 4lbs BUT I am thankful for those first photos I took when I started because Ive shurnk in the waist, my butt is a lot higher and my "capital B" (tummy) is getting smaller. I was going insane with weighing weekly with no real result but have come to terms with not letting the scale rule my head FINALLY. Reading message board threads and support has helped alot. If members can get past the scale weight then so can I I guess :)

Hang in there :)
  • cutie_patootie
    Options
    I've altered my way of eating for over a month and I've lost 9 pounds so far. It seems so less when I compared it to the changes I've made to lead a healthier lifestyle for weight loss. To top all, I was told that no one could see any changes in me. :(....but that was until yesterday when I wore jeans and T-shirt to the office picnic. So many people came to me to say that I looked "smaller". That's have to do for now and that is sufficient to keep me going.

PS: I secretly envy all my guy friends who melted away to their ideal weight in less than a month just by replacing soda with water. :(
  • missff
    missff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, I've been doing this for 12 weeks and I've lost 10lbs so far (weigh in tomorrow so hopefully a bit more). It sounds like such a measly number doesn't it? I'm not doing much in the way of exercise as I'm recovering from a foot injury so no chance of me replacing fat with muscle, BUT! on the plus side, my "fat trousers" are much more loose, my jeans are no longer cutting into me like a cheesewire and I can now do the bottom button of my coat up so I'm on the right track. It took me 5 months to put on this extra weight so I guess it's going to take 5 months to get it off. I'm not giving up either!

doh! I've been doing this for just over 7 weeks not 12, so I guess 10lbs isn't too bad afterall :embarassed:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!