Shin splints during insanity..

Options
I've been getting shin splints during insanity the last few days. I just got done with the third week and its the first time they have been acting up. I usually go without shoes, because I am on carpet. i tried shoes today to see if it would work better and they got worse so I took my shoes off.

Is there any way to prevent shin splints? How do you deal with them when working out?

Replies

• mamalizpdx
    Options
    My son had them when he was running track. It got so bad we went to see a ortho guy. He sent my son for a foot cast and had shoe inserts made.. and they worked. He had arches that were weak and this caused the shin splints.

I think a cheaper way might be to go to Walmart and check out the Doctor Scholls machine. Good Luck
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Your body just needs to get used to the strain on your shin muscles. Ice your shins for 15 minutes after you workout. This helps a lot with recovery if you're having problems. If you can get some crushed ice in a ziplock bag that works. You can also get reusable gel packs you can freeze to do this.

Do some calf stretches on stairs or a raised platform. Draw the alphabet in the air with your toes a couple times a day. These will help till you adjust to the new level of work you're asking your body to do. Be a bit patient. It takes time for the lower legs to get accustomed to this.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/242169.php

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/leg_injuries/a/leg2.htm

I suspect you'll need to take a rest. You can seriously harm yourself. I know that icing is supposedly a treatment people do for it. In the meantime, I'd invest in better shoes with good insoles and some sort of good support. I bet your shoes aren't providing you the protection you need while doing that sort of high impact aerobic activity. When I've had it, rest was the only solution or it'll get worse.