Older women (55+)

Options
Are there any women out there, over 55 who have had success? PLEASE share if so!!
I've been faithfully following MFP since Jan, 2; and have only lost 4 pounds. I've been
exercising, too. But I'm not seeing the results you guys are. To be honest, I've never
eaten "poorly" . . . I didn't have much "junk" to cut out of my diet. I've been at 1400 calories
faithfully . . . but not having much success. Tips? Encouragement? Thanks!

Replies

• bglisson
    bglisson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm confused. Your profile says you've lost 225 pounds. If that's true, and you've only lost 4 pounds since January, your body is probably just trying to adjust. Did I mis-read?
  • bettershedder
    bettershedder Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The profile number is wrong. I don't know where it came up with that number. All of a sudden
    one day it said I had lost 225 pounds. I don't know how to reset/change(?) it. I've lost a
    total of 4 pounds. Sorry for the confusion
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am a bit older at 56. And the weight is coming off slowly! Lost 28 since Sept. My advice would be to fill out your profile and get some active committed friends. Committed to logging their food daily and active on MFP. I have learned SO much from my MFP buddies! Have a couple friends who really are taking the weight off and it helps me to interact with them. They also read my diary and are not shy on comments about some of the stuff I eat! But they are very supportive also.

I would strongly urge you consider that. There are a ton of older people on here. What I have changed since Sept is that I eat alot cleaner and i have started exercising (in December). Its not coming off fast but that is ok, I won't have to deal with loose skin issues! And i do feel so much better. My feet and my knees are better and my balance has improved. Can't wait for it to get warmer out so I can get out and see how these lame exercise videos are affecting my walking! I don't like to go out when its below 35. I know I am a wimp. Hopefully next winter the cold won't make me so housebound.

Use these website. I have a friend who got me on this and when I am confused on something I can call him up and he walks me thru whatever issue I have.

Also start weighing your food. Got a cheap food scale on Amazon and I had no idea what some of the portions I had been consuming were. I don't weigh that much but when in doubt I do.

You can do this if you want to. Just commit to one day at a time, don't whine about blowing it yesterday. Just take it one day at a time.

Blessings!
  • wagonblaster
    wagonblaster Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am only 50, but it is a lot harder at this age, because we have so much going on. However, really track your fat intake. Make certain MFP is telling you how many fats you are consuming, and don't go over the count. It is really hard to loose weight, if you are consuming too much fat. You can be under calories, but having too much fat and sugar. Count the sugars too. Otherwise, MFP has really helped me.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I am almost 54 and have lost 54 pounds since May 2012. I am eating much less, have cut out a lot of carbs and exercise 120 minutes a day including cardio and lifting weights.
  • virgolove34
    virgolove34 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My mom is 59 and has lost 27 pounds since the start of this year just by changing her diet. She does weight watchers online, so instead of tracking calories, she tracks points. Fresh fruits and veggies are 0 points for weight watchers so if she meets her point limits, she just continues to eat fresh fruit. She started drinking more water and she's just started to incorporate exercise "walk away the pounds"... goodluck on your journey. you will get there in no time!!
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and have had a wonderful year here on MFP. I'm down a total of 59 pounds since Christmas 2011, and 42 pounds on here. I've done it slowly to lessen the saggy skin, but still have quite a bit of "yucky flab"! I had 2 months when I didn't really lose anything. So I had a look at my goals and activity, etc. I had put down that I would exercise 4x/week, but I was only doing maybe 2x. For now, I've reset my goal/calories at 2x/wk, and once I consistently am exercising 2x/wk, I will increase to 3, then 4 again. This has caused some of the saggy skin, I know, but gotta dredge up the will to exercise when it's so dang cold outside!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Soon to be 57 here also!! It is tougher as we get older but not impossible!!! MFP is a great way to connect with like minded people with the same goals and you will learn a lot. But don't wait to learn here, grab a couple of good nutrition books and educate yourself along the way. You will find the thing that works for you.

One very successful "loser" on the site says his secret was that "he never quit" and it won't always be smooth sailing, you just keep getting it done!!

Good luck, add me if you wish!!!!
  • bettershedder
    bettershedder Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. From your responses, I've learned that there's more to My Fitness Pal than
    I realized. I'm going to do some exploring this week-end to maximize my experience. Thank
    you again.
  • lbshipley
    lbshipley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The profile number is wrong. I don't know where it came up with that number. All of a sudden
    one day it said I had lost 225 pounds. I don't know how to reset/change(?) it. I've lost a
    total of 4 pounds. Sorry for the confusion

You can edit previously entered weights by selecting "Check-In" at the top of the screen on the My Home tab and then selecting "Edit Previous Entries" located underneath the box for other measurements.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!