Upped my calorie intake - Worried/Weight Loss ???

Options
Due to my many friends here on MFP (thank you) my daily calorie intake was WAY low!.. Now that I've adjusted my calorie intake and upped it since it was way low for a Male, plus I’m working out more 5 days instead of 3 days..How long for a weight loss? 1 week or more? Or does this all depend on what I eat and how much I exercise? I guess I'm just nervous since I upped the calorie intake and afraid I'll gain weight instead of losing weight..

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Due to my many friends here on MFP (thank you) my daily calorie intake was WAY low!.. Now that I've adjusted my calorie intake and upped it since it was way low for a Male, plus I’m working out more 5 days instead of 3 days..How long for a weight loss? 1 week or more? Or does this all depend on what I eat and how much I exercise? I guess I'm just nervous since I upped the calorie intake and afraid I'll gain weight instead of losing weight..

when I upped my calories it took me two weeks to see progress on the scale I didn't gain but I didn't lose either, it was really though to keep eating my recommended amount but today I checked and I am down 2 lbs!
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    When you up your calories you may temporarily gain weight. It's not fat if you are under your TDEE. Give it a few weeks. Sometimes it takes 4 or so weeks for people to see changes.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on how much you were eating before, how long you were at the lower calories and what you increased to. Your body will have to adjust... but recognize that any weight gain is likely water fluctuations. When I go from a cut to maintenance (I eat at TDEE for a week before every race) I will put on 4-5 lbs during that week... it's water weight. Within 2 days of cutting after the event, the weight is back off. You cannot gain a pound of fat without eating 3500 extra calories on top of TDEE. Know that... trust it.
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I had to up it by 600 calories based on the TDEE formula.. Thanks for the answers too!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Did you up then because you were hungry or tired? I never want to mess with my numbers when I am losing.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No way to know for sure... some people can see it in just a few days, others it takes 2-3 weeks. Sooo many variables involved, just be patient and be consistent.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll see results from this and I'm excited for you. It sucks having your calories super restricted.
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Did you up then because you were hungry or tired? I never want to mess with my numbers when I am losing.

I upped them because i was eating WAY to low for a daily intake level based on the TDEE forumla..
    I'm sure you'll see results from this and I'm excited for you. It sucks having your calories super restricted.

Thank you! :)
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I recently upped my calories from 1700 to 2400 because I had my RMR tested and it was way higher than what all the online calculators showed. In three weeks, I gained about 3-4 lbs. It has now been almost a month and I'm back down to what I was before I upped my calories. But, even though I had gained, I'm down one pants size. I sleep much better, have tons more energy, and have been lifting heavier than ever. It may take a little while to see the results you want, but hang in there. It's worth it.
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    I upped mine slowly from 1200 to 1700 and it has made me feel much better. Weight loss stalled for a week then lost a 1lb then another 1.3lb's this week.

Plus if you are more active with working the additional days that will help too.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I upped them because i was eating WAY to low for a daily intake level based on the TDEE forumla..

Thank you! :)
    I never got what tdee means
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ]I never got what tdee means

Total Daily Energy Expenditure... the amount of energy (cals) your body uses in a day to do EVERYTHING it does, from breathing and pumping blood to running errands and paying bills to workouts and house work.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    was at 1200 and getting nowheres, upped my cals to 1400-1500 and doing so much better, def lost inches, and did not gain, those calories gave me more energy at my workouts so it makes me work harder longer and getting to my goal faster I think !! too low calories, no energy.

I just calculated my TDEE and its at 1500 cals a day, I have MFP set at 1400, gonna change it right now :bigsmile:
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200 calories according to MFP, and wasn't losing any weight. Did my BMR and upped my calories to 1450, cut down on my exercise, and the weight started to come off along with losing inches. I was worried also, but it was the best thing for me
  • beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I lost 87 pounds eating 1200 cals a day and exercising 5+ days a week. After some time I started putting on weight and gained 15 pounds back. My Dr. told me that I no woman needs more that 1200 calories a day, even when exercising. I was so frustrated because I was lifting weights and and pushing myself harder and harder and couldn't lose.

I read IPOARM and I upped my cals to 1800. I was scared to death that I was going to gain weight. I don't ever want to be morbidly obese again! But guess what? I started losing weight! Better than the weight loss was the FAT LOSS! I am losing inches more than pounds and I LOVE it.

Your body is your vehicle and all vehicles need fuel. The better the fuel the better the performance.
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies :) .. Hopefully all goes well and I see results by end of this month.. This is why I like MFP great people here always helping out :)
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great Job.. thats what I am trying to do, up calorie intake.. hoping my Fitbit keeps me motivated...
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200 calories according to MFP, and wasn't losing any weight. Did my BMR and upped my calories to 1450, cut down on my exercise, and the weight started to come off along with losing inches. I was worried also, but it was the best thing for me
    Maybe that is why I started gaining... exercising more & not eating enough......So I have upped the calories.....