Rest days on 30 day shred?

Options
I am on Day 6 of 30 day shred. I am exhausted. Is it ok to take a rest day or will that totally defeat the purpose?
thanks!

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with 30 Day Shred, so I'm bumping this for you.

Personally, I think a rest day is essential for an active fitness level. Over time, small little sprains, pulls, micro-tears, etc. can add up to a more substantial injury. Also exhaustion can make someone a bit unfocused (and uncoordinated) which can lead to injury.

Maybe someone who's done this will tell you to stick with it. But, I don't see how a day of rest per week will prevent you from reaching your fitness goals.
  • belle19822000
    belle19822000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You should listen to your body.

You don't have to do it EVERY day! Hey!!!! You could take a day or 2 rest now, because you're tired, but try working out one day with 1 day rest, or 2 days followed with 1 rest day. And I mean rest! no cardio, no nothing until you feel comfortable to do some stuff on a rest day.

I exercise every other day ( no more t.z.) or short programs like 30 ds, ripped in 30 or 6Weeks6pack (around 30 mins) 2 days in a row, and then 1 rest day.

Last week I felt comfortable to WALK my butt off (like for 3 hours fasssssssssssst pace) on my "rest day" and even on my exercise day, and I got to that point in less than 2 months.

It's ok to push yourself, but you are probably too tired now to even want to get back to your routine, right?

So take 1-2 days off, and do it again, then rest, etc....

Give your body time to recover.

Best wishes with 30 DS!
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    According to Jillian, the schedule she recommends for the 30 DS is 2 days Shred, 1 day cardio, 2 days Shred, 1 day cardio, 1 day of rest. She says the "30" in the name is just a marketing tool.

I do 3 days Shred / week, then 5 Jazzercise classes, and 1 day of rest.
  • sharnut751
    sharnut751 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm nearing the end of Level 3 of the 30 Day Shred and I always incorporate rest days. My schedule has been: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday-30 Day Shred, Thursday-rest day from Shred but working on a nice jog/walk combo, Friday & Saturday-30 Day Shred, Sunday-rest day and some walking/jogging or pilates.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there was a method to this madness. I thought it was 30 days straight through with no resting! That's what I've been doing! I'm on day 17 right now and I'm not really ever sore any more. I know I need to add in more cardio and eventually more weights, but I really was under the impression that it was 30 days, no quitsies. I would love to take a damn rest day!
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    According to Jillian, the schedule she recommends for the 30 DS is 2 days Shred, 1 day cardio, 2 days Shred, 1 day cardio, 1 day of rest. She says the "30" in the name is just a marketing tool.

^ this

I also read that. I did the same thing as the above.
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post this is really good to know Iluvco3 thanks becuase i was feeling like i wasnt following the program correctly. I have done up to 4 days in a row and my shins and ankles were killing me. now I do 2-4 days 30 day shred depending how Im feeling plus i do cardio 5 days a week just a light jog. but I think the rest days are good becuase you arent getting the full benefits from the excercises becuase you are too sore to push and have good form. I would rest one day from the video every couple of days.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day. You will not ruin anything. I believe I read once that even Jillian said she doesn't intend her work out to be 30 consecutive days in a row.
  • elsbbels
    elsbbels Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have one every saturday :) just started level 2 today and I'm already looking forward to Saturday :D haha x
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    YES! YES YES!
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I take a rest day :flowerforyou:
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above!!! I too have the 30 Day Shred. I also have her "Ripped in 30" and the "No more trouble Zones" (which just about kills me). I have found that I get bored doing the same workouts over and over so varying between her workouts and the YMCA, along with some other DVDs. When I get bored with one workout, I know from experience that I start "slacking". But, I do think a day of rest, or even just walking on a rest day if it makes you feel better would be a good thing.
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yea...I did 30 days straight as well. Glad I got through it though!! Bob wore a shirt on Biggest loser last week that said 3 on, 1 off, 365 days a year... thinking of going in this direction
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have one every saturday :) just started level 2 today and I'm already looking forward to Saturday :D haha x

Wow, you have done great!!!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    You NEED to rest at least 1 day a week. 2 rest days a week is more managable.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I did it for the 30 days straight...but have heard many people incorporate one or two rest days into each level (meaning out of 10 workout days, take 2 rest days, which would make it a full 2 weeks per level).
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken a rest day since I started. I am done on Thursday WOOHOO!! Next up p90x, I'll probably die!
  • victoriageorgina
    victoriageorgina Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I done it every day purly because i didnt realise you should have a rest day. But when i done riped in 30 i realised that yup.. A rest day is good as even jillian says do five or six days and then take a rest day or two. But i think working it in with cardio us a great idea. I built so much muscle but lost no lb's .... I can feel all my muscle underneath so now i have switched to more cardio and am finally loosing the lb's which is starting to show all the work i done on shred, ripped and extreme shed and shred. So yeah.. Defo have a reast dayand mix it with cardio days too :)
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there was a method to this madness. I thought it was 30 days straight through with no resting! That's what I've been doing! I'm on day 17 right now and I'm not really ever sore any more. I know I need to add in more cardio and eventually more weights, but I really was under the impression that it was 30 days, no quitsies. I would love to take a damn rest day!

I'm only on day 2 but was under the same impression that this should be 30 days straight for max results? Am I wrong? Because if that is not the case, I will damn sure take a rest day! lol
  • aperradise
    aperradise Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    from what I have read you are suppose to do it for 30 days straight, 10 days each level which is what I'm going to try to do BUT I'm only on day 2 so we'll see if I feel like I have to take a break or not, I hurt now so we'll see.. I'm also using my elliptical every day so either way I will exercise.