Best Exercises for Saddlebags??

Options
My problem area is really my butt, thighs and saddlebags. What are some specific things I can do to kick these saddle bags? I have 2 small children and no time to go to the gym, so I do dvds and have a nice elliptical.

Replies

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Watching replies with interest as I have the same problem - bum toning nicely, legs lookin good but the saddlebags? Eeuuggh!
    x
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem area lol. I have a spin bike I use at home because nothing burns fat like cardio over a long period of time with little to no resistance. I also do blogilaties (YouTube it) and squats with my legs together to target the outer thighs! But that's just what works for me :)
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    Lose more fat and do a good full body resistance training routine. If you can't go to a gym or get much equipment at home, try googling You Are Your Own Gym
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Gotta lose the fat, period. Maintain a healthy calorie deficit and be patient.

To your question... walking/weighted lunges, squats and deads too. Though, they won't matter if you're diet isn't right, so it really goes back to my first point.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    strength training. for my butt it was step ups, lunges and squats and I went from a BIG and round butt to a lean tinier bum. Never been this small.

for my back was lat pulldowns

thighs is the same as it was for the butt....

I lost sooooo many inches doing the New Rules for Training for Women.... seriously changed my life.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Maintain a reasonable calorie deficit. Eat healthy foods. You can't choose where the fat will drop ("spot reduce"). The closer you get to your goal weight is when you'll see your trouble spots disappear.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    i want to trim down and tone up, but I have a confession, last time I lost weight I kinda missed my saddlebags LOL.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Horsejumps.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what the heck is a horse jump?

In other news- can't spot reduce fat- so eat clean- lose over all BF% and work out- squat squat squat- lunge lunge lunge.

Pick up some weights and start using them.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    SQUATS!!! You don't need a gym for these.

Here's your challenge:

go home and take back and side view pics wearing a swimsuit bottom or undies. then for the next 30 days, i want you to do 50 squats, and 50 lunges. Don't skip!!! Then 30 days from now, retake the pics wearing exactly what you did the first day.

i PROMISE you'll see changes!! Keep them up!!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have saddlebags on my Harley.. but i certainly dont excercise them...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    lol I have two soft ones and one hard top case- they get exercise on road trips- and that's it- only because I over stuff the crap out of them ;)
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals. You say "problem area". Does that mean they are just soft and out of shape, or are they big and flabby and need to be reduced?

If you need to reduce your body fat, you can only do that through a calorie deficit eating regiment. Any exercise will burn calories and help you with the deficit.

If you are looking to firm things up, you need to pick an exercise that works those areas. Some folks here will tell you to lift weights, others have proven results from body weight routines.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Iv been doing the Leslie Sanasone 5 mile walk at home workout 4-5 days a week for 3 weeks and my saddlebags have gone down so much. Its lots of walking, high knees,kicks and side steps so good for the legs and hips. Im more pear shaped so my bottom ahlf needs the toning and this has helped so much
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing worked wonders for me! And it's a great stress-buster!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Saddlebags are genetic and are reduced when body fat levels are within 20%-25%. You can't spot reduce them through ANY direct target exercising, so it's just going to be that they reduce when they reduce. Lipo would be your other choice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Iv been doing the Leslie Sanasone 5 mile walk at home workout 4-5 days a week for 3 weeks and my saddlebags have gone down so much. Its lots of walking, high knees,kicks and side steps so good for the legs and hips. Im more pear shaped so my bottom ahlf needs the toning and this has helped so much

I like her videos and ur right they do help your legs out.

I also like turbo kick or turbo fire :)
  • kmraymond
    kmraymond Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! I understand that your can't spot reduce areas and totally common sense to eat better and move it. :) Not a fan of squats and lunges, but I should start doing more I guess. I just started Jillians 90 day Body Revolution yesterday. I also try to spend at least 30 minutes on my elliptical. (usually can burn anywhere from 300-400 cals) I'm 5'7 and wear a size 10 or 12 in jean. When I was at my tiniest adult size, I was 145lbs and still had a booty so I don't think it will ever be "small". That was about 8 years ago and two kids ago. As for genetics, that makes sense. My mom is very small but does carry her weight in the butt and thighs like I do. Guess I'll keep trying to cut the crap out of my diet and keep going with the cardio and circuit training and be patient. :)
  • kmraymond
    kmraymond Posts: 22
    Options
    Challenge accepted! :) 50 each does not scare me at all. Thanks for the idea.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    unless someone has epically bad knee problems- I've never gotten the aversions to squats- they are awesome.

Squat jumps- single leg squats- squat with leg lift (staying low)
    box jumps (these include squats) squats are super fabulous.