Never-ending plateau

So, hello! Hope you're all doing great.

I've been dieting ever since I can remember, but it became a real issue when I gained 20 pounds in 2011, due to career stuff (I could explain it later on, but it's a little hard to understand for those who are not from Brazil ;) ).

I lost a lot of weight with the Dukan Diet throughout the second semester of 2011 and the first of 2012. Like, some 40 pounds. As I started my journey weighting 150 pounds, which is not really a lot, I have to say I ended up pretty skinny, weighing around 110. I felt great by then, I had never weighted so little.

But then, after the "career stuff" had passed and the diet was over, I started to gain weight again, and now I'm weighing 125 lbs, which is not really a lot, but it worries me, because the pounds keep coming on, and I seem to have no control over it.

Five months ago I started going to the gym in order to see if I could control my weight. I was not really aiming at losing any more weight, I just wanted to stop gaining it.

It did not work, I gained another two or three pounds since I started going to the gym.

I got really desperate and then I finally started using MFP. Since then, I have not been been able to lose any weight at all, though I would like to lose some 4 pounds, the ones I've put on during the last months.

I really don't know what to do. Am I eating too much?

Please don't be mad at me for having so little to lose. I'm just worrying about the future, because I know that if I let it all go I might gain it all back (the 40 pounds) and much much more. I know myself.

Thank you very much!

Replies

• paolapaola
    paolapaola Posts: 10 Member
    I've just realized half of my entries are not in English, so it might be a little hard to understand them. Oh, well!
  • Don't feel guilty about weighing so little. It's very important to maintain and be worried about your weight when you worked so hard to get it off. I hope to be in your shoes in about a year. Keep up the good work!
  • paolapaola
    Thank you, Carol! Best luck on your journey, it's hard, but it is definitely worth it!
  • paolapaola
    At first, MFP said my calorie goal was 1200 a day, so I followed it. Then I found this community and they said I should take the TDEE into account, rather than BMR. I changed my calorie goal to 1320, but I do exercise everyday and I eat back the calories I lose during the workouts. So I usually end up eating some 1500 / 1600 calories.

When I was calculating my TDEE, I chose sedentary, since when I am not at the gym I sit all day at home, as I work at home.

Did I do something wrong?
  • Lieann22
    Lieann22 Posts: 67 Member
    try mixing your exercise up a bit more. Interval training is very good for this and not that time consuming.

maybe you might need look at whats making those calories up as well. Are you eating enough volume of food. Your body might just be hanging on to those pescy lbs.

Good luck - keep positive.
  • paolapaola
    I found it, Pu_239! It's 1,630 calories/day!
  • paolapaola
    Thank you, Lieann22! I'm not sure what interval training means in Portuguese, I'll try to look it up and follow your advice.
  • paolapaola
    So, I should be eating less than I do now?

I chose "sedentary" because I didn't want to put anything higher since I work at home, but I do exercise everyday! Should I change from "sedentary" to "lightly active" and not eat the calories from exercise back?
  • NewMomNewME24
    NewMomNewME24 Posts: 71 Member
    bump
  • Lieann22
    Lieann22 Posts: 67 Member
    interval training is about intensity... for example

Running for 20 mins
    example:
    walk fast for - 2 minutes
    jog for - 1 minute
    sprint for - 30 seconds
    Running for 20 mins
    jog for - 1 minute
    sprint for - 30 seconds
    Running for 20 mins
    jog for - 1 minute
    sprint for - 30 seconds
    then cool down

by raising the heart rate in peaks like this you will encourage faster fat burn.

Also pyramid training on weights
    example:
    12 reps at - 2kg
    10 reps at - 3kg
    8 reps at - 4kg
    6 reps at - 5kg - this weight should be the highest weight you would use for the exercise
    12 reps at - 2kg
    12 reps at - 2kg

hope this helps
  • ToniG50
    ToniG50 Posts: 9 Member
    What has MFP suggested for a calorie goal for you?
    Toni
  • paolapaola
    Oh, I see, Lieann22! Thank you, I'll try that!
  • paolapaola
    Toni, it suggested 1200 calorias per day!
  • paolapaola
    Thank you, Pu_239!