negative calories

Options
Do we need to log in the foods that are "negative calorie" foods? Such as Canteloupe, mango, broccoli, celery, etc...

Replies

• ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I log everything and I would recommend doing so, it helps you see what you are actually eating
  • jbutts352
    jbutts352 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually log everything. It is a good habit and helps to track the good stuff
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    those foods have calories. there is no such thing as a negative calorie food.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as a negative calorie food. that's a myth.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Log it and count it
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ps... i WISH cantelopes and mangos were negative calories. fruit is delish, but i watch it because of the sugar.

where the heck did you hear that those were negative calorie foods? i can understand the celery myth, and MAYBE broccoli, but fruit??
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Do we need to log in the foods that are "negative calorie" foods? Such as Canteloupe, mango, broccoli, celery, etc...
    Log it!
    I can see maybe things like small amounts celery, lettuce or cucumbers not adding many calories to your diary but I don't believe in the negative thing. I don't see how mangoes can even be in the same category, they are higher in calories with a good amount of sugar. Even if it's a low calorie veggie I log it just to see what I'm eating, especially since I'm trying to make sure I eat enough vegetables.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh my! Your food has calories whether you want to believe it or not. Log it or you may be crying on the scale later!
  • cocopuff1919
    cocopuff1919 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok ok ok...lol. There are some foods that I learned take more calories to digest them than they actually have. That's why they called them negative calorie foods. It was a while ago though so maybe that has been retracted or declared as a myth now. Thanks for the replies... I will log them!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

There's no such thing as a negative calorie. Everything has calories. I eat a lot of fruits and veg and if I didn't log them I'd easily be over on my calories. I had two servings of broccoli yesterday for lunch that was 60 calories...why wouldn't I log that? Particularly when you consider I only have a 250 calorie per day deficit built into my diet.

Mangos are pretty calorie dense, as well are cantaloupes and pretty much most fruit...I often see apples on this list as well. I have an apple a day and it's about 90 calories. Why wouldn't I log that?
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I wish there were such a thing as negative calorie foods
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Ok ok ok...lol. There are some foods that I learned take more calories to digest them than they actually have. That's why they called them negative calorie foods. It was a while ago though so maybe that has been retracted or declared as a myth now. Thanks for the replies... I will log them!

You are correct, there are a few foods that take more to calories to digest than what they contain but the calories burnt from the digestion process are already calculated into your BMR, so by not counting those calories you'd be cheating yourself and eventually it would add up. I personally log everything down to vitamins or a tsp of ketchup. I'd rather overestimate my calorie intake then underestimate.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options

You are correct, there are a few foods that take more to calories to digest than what they contain but the calories burnt from the digestion process are already calculated into your BMR, so by not counting those calories you'd be cheating yourself and eventually it would add up. I personally log everything down to vitamins or a tsp of ketchup. I'd rather overestimate my calorie intake then underestimate.
    No, unfortunately there are no foods which take more to digest than they contain.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    those foods have calories...
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This site is good for also tracking nutrition. So log them and you can also be healthy. Not just skinny.
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    there is no such thing as a negative calorie food. that's a myth.

This
  • ljcazan
    ljcazan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    those foods have calories. there is no such thing as a negative calorie food.

this
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options

^^^^This! Absolutely!! We already are accused of underestimating our calories. Don't add to it by not logging something!! :ohwell: