quitting soda - anyone want to join me?

Options
Hi everyone!

So after hearing the onslaught of information that soda is bad for you time and again I finally decided to stop drinking it Tuesday. Unfortunately I've caved twice! (There is a vending machine 20 steps from my apartment that sells can for $.60 apiece!) Both times I gave in while studying for the tedious CPA exam - I was getting sleepy... So, basically I'm looking for support in this endeavor.

Would anyone else like to join me in kissing the chemical cocktail good-bye?

Replies

• selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I pretty much gave up soda a few months ago... I had massive cravings in the beginning. I've had a couple here & there... and really couldn't remember why I liked soda in the first place. Proof positive for me that the crap they put in it is addictive.
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Since for months, i drink as much water and unsweetened tea as possible, I have found that I have lost my taste for soda. I just gave away my last 12 packs yesterday. I dont think I will ever want to waste a beverage on soda. Wine maybe, soda no!:laugh:
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    i never used to drink soda very much, but have found in the past few months i just HAVE to have a diet soda a few days a week, steadily increasing.

i don't want to start that habit. no calories, but not a good choice.

i'm with ya!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I quit sodas cold turkey back in Jan and haven't looked back. When I craved sweet drinks I used the crystal light flavored water packets (walmart brand too - has many more flavors), to help and over time it's gotten to the point where I prefer plain water over anything, with exception to milk/oj for breakfast and with mexican food :happy:

Try those, they may help.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I quit a month or so ago and lost ten pounds! I still have one every once in a while though!
  • water4life
    water4life Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking anything besides water and milk about 4 1/2 years ago, but I don't have a problem supporting you. I am a person that likes keeping count of how long since certain things have happened. I know this may sound silly but 2-3 times during the first year of quiting all that stuff, I would have a dream were a drank something besides water or milk and I would get so pissed at myself that I would wake myself up. I did it when i was 16 just because i wanted to lose a little weight and instead i have turned it into a lifetime devotion. If you really thing about how you feel after you drink a coke or something like that you will love water. I realized that every time I drank something like that, I was also just as thirsty as I was before I drank it. I will support you 100% because water is the most important necessity of life, even greater than food!
  • chelseap891
    Options
    I'll try....diet coke is the devil though. And I'm addicted to it! haha. I've been drinking crystal light lately in my water...it helps add some flavor!
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I gave up pop about 5 months ago. I had a hard time for the first several weeks but about a month ago I was out with some friends and took a sip and could not stand the taste anymore!! If I am going to consume calories I would rather eat them then drink them!! Good job on making the choice to give it up, stay strong and stay away from it, it will make loosing weight so much easier.
  • Christine0111
    Options
    Hi, my name is Christine and I am a Diet Coke aholic!!!! I quit drinking it about a month ago and have only given in to the dragon about two or three times since then. I was always the ok with it because of the no calorie option but then I started thinking of all the other chemicals and things couldn't be good for me as well. I will join you through the twelve step pop program =)
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    i occasionally grab a coke zero... i used to have one bottle everyday.

another thing guys... i was using splenda for like a year straight everyday... and developed chronic... CHRONIC migraines.. id wake up with it... and it would be with me allll day long..
    so i gave it up a few days ago and my headache is gone! and i just feel so much better!
    plus because i cant have splenda... that means nasty coffee or 2 teaspoons of sugar so my coffee has gone down to 2 cups as well.

sorry for stealing ur thread!
    but ya im in! lets go H2O!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I quit sodas about a month or so ago, and I'd like to keep it that way for good! I've read so many horrible things about sodas, and even worse things about diet sodas. My goal is to not eat anything "diet" or artificial - starting with sodas. :bigsmile:
  • beutiful5678
    beutiful5678 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    All I drink is Diet Coke - I wouldn't want to waste my calories on soda! However, diet is purported to have its own slew of problems and while I'm not qualified to comment on the truthfulness of that, I'm inclined to believe that its true.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    Dr. Pepper is my greatest weakness. I have been trying to quit since I started eating healthy. I am down to about a can a day. Even though I have been under on calories this past week, that one can of soda bumps me up so much in sugar that I don't like it. I did manage to refuse to allow my boyfriend to buy me any today at the store. So~ I am ready, let's go H2O!
  • nessie994
    nessie994 Posts: 11
    Options
    I keep trying to quit, but I too keep caving in! It's worse than crack!(just kidding of course......)
    But seriously, it is bad for you, I know this, but we just gotta try to stay strong!
  • SayRah
    SayRah Posts: 104
    Options
    I don't drink it a lot...but I do have my cravings. I'll definitely quit for the rest of the year :)
  • PrettyPrincess2011
    PrettyPrincess2011 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I used to drink 2 liters a day then I dropped to 1 liter a day and now im down to 2 cans a day of diet coke or coke zero. I didnt know how addictive it was when I started drinking it 5 yrs ago.)= But its time to quit!
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I replaced all my soda cravings with soda water about 6 months ago. It really does the trick! I found flavored soda water at my grocery store (Kroger's). It's not a strong flavor......just a mild hint. The best part is that it's 0's across the board on the nutrition facts!:flowerforyou:
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    Four days solid with no soda after a week long weaning period due to caffeine withdrawal migraines! Even went to a restaraunt and got water, everyone at the table looked at me funny! lol