Talk to me about the Fitbit

Options
Hello friends,

I've used the search feature to find information on this topic before posting this, but didn't quite find what I was looking for. My birthday is coming up and I thought about getting a Fitbit since I'm struggling with my weight loss. My question is, is it worth the money? Is it better than just using MFP alone? Have you had better success incorporating Fitbit into your lifestyle change?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• fitmama2e
    fitmama2e Posts: 19
    Options
    I like wearing it daily, it gives me that extra reminder to keep moving. My son has even gotten into it and checks the flower to make sure we are being active enough. If I'm short on steps I will squeeze in an extra walk to hit my target. The new versions sync to mobile devices which is great, mine just syncs when I am at home.
  • quitaharkess
    quitaharkess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new to both the fitbit and mfp. I got fitbit after seeing lots of good reviews on many different forums and I suppose it will be down to you but i do like all the extra features it gives you, including the sleep tracker!

My version syncs on my phone so I can always check on the go as I hook it to my bra and it's not always easy to check in public!
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It's a high end pedometer which I use soley as a motivating tool. I sync it with MFP and the fitbit adjustment shows me if I am ahead of the game or behind the curve in regards to the amount of calories I strive to burn each day. It is less accurate than a Bodymedia Fit which has a monthly cost associated with it. The fitbit does not have a monthly fee and is very discreet. I really like it for the motivation it gives me.

ETA: I have the iphone sync as well. It's a great set up as I am able to look at my adjustment a few times a day.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback. :smile:
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Can I piggyback onto this topic, specifically for those following IPOARM? I'm also in the "birthday-coming-up-and-I-think-I-want-one" club.

Did you find that it was pretty close to online BMR/TDEE calculators? Was it worth it to see this number daily?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Can I piggyback onto this topic, specifically for those following IPOARM? I'm also in the "birthday-coming-up-and-I-think-I-want-one" club.

Did you find that it was pretty close to online BMR/TDEE calculators? Was it worth it to see this number daily?

I bought the Fitbit One to clear up any confusion I had about TDEE/BMR and all that. It seems to be pretty much in line with the TDEE I had calculated. I still feel it was a good purchase because it definitely makes me more mindful of how active I am. I have a desk job. Before Fitbit, I hardly ever got up to walk around. Now I go several times a day just to take a lap around the building. I also love the sleep feature. It shows me how much I'm NOT sleeping which I kind of already knew, but now I can see it in black and white.

TLDR: worth the hundred bucks
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I started MFP and Fitbit at the same time! But my calculated TDEE came out much lower than what Fitbit. I thought I was more lightly active....come to find out I'm moderate to highly active. Therefore, it helped me understand my body much more than I expected. It also helps me stay inline with my TDEE everyday. I know what my daily goal is and at anytime I can look at my fitbit to see where I am. So then its just a matter of ....getting off my butt....or taking it easy the rest of the day. I have a zip and for $40 bucks, I thought it was worth the investment (caught it on sale). I don't worry about sleep and stairs. My wife has a One and is addicted to it.
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add my two cents - I got a fitbit for Christmas and I absolutely LOVE it. I use it mainly as a motivational tool to keep me moving during the day (I'm a stay at home mom) and also to really see how active I am during the day even without a workout. I found myself squeezing in more activity just to make a certain goal. Plus - you have buddies on the fitbit sight so seeing there progress helps move me as well. I recently lost mine and I have really missed it (don't clip on your waistband - that's how I lost it) but I have a new one in the mail!

That being said I only found one drawback - it is not very accurate when it comes to recording steps from cycling or spin class.
  • 120weeks
    Options

I got the fitbit because I had the same concerns. Eating too much? Eating to little? I have played with numbers and outside of my fitbit, my closest comparison is entering into MFP that I am "lightly active" goal to lose "1 pound a week". Whatever that number is (for me, 1860), add 500 and that's my TDEE (2360). I use the fitbit to help me reach my 2360 target.

TDEE calculators have no idea what the intensities are of my workouts so they are far from accurate, IMO. I sometimes hit 2360 on average, desk-job workdays, where I have lifted earlier in the morning. So, you can see, I did workout, but I didn't run or cycle which would've made my TDEE for that day much higher.
  • 120weeks
    Options
    That being said I only found one drawback - it is not very accurate when it comes to recording steps from cycling or spin class.

Yes, I hate seeing the false elevated numbers when cycling so I just take it off during those times. I'm not really stepping anyways, I'm shaking!
  • vcfervc
    vcfervc Posts: 28
    Options
    I've had mine for about a month and love it. I've had no issues. It has made me realize how sedenatary i really am and I need to get moving.:smile:
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    I got one for my bday in January and LOVE it! It keeps me motivated and I want to hit my daily goals. I take pride in myself when I see great numbers on there! I totally recommend it. I saw some negative reviews before I got it and realized that people were just being critical. I love it and will always use one as long as they are on the market!
  • Flora_k
    Flora_k Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Somebody was telling me about the Striiv and they loved it. Anybody know the difference and, if so, why is the fitbit better? Thanks!
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I thought about getting one but I think I read that I can't sync it with my Iphone4....only Iphone4S and above? :grumble: Not going to invest in it and an updated Iphone!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add my two cents - I got a fitbit for Christmas and I absolutely LOVE it. I use it mainly as a motivational tool to keep me moving during the day (I'm a stay at home mom) and also to really see how active I am during the day even without a workout. I found myself squeezing in more activity just to make a certain goal. Plus - you have buddies on the fitbit sight so seeing there progress helps move me as well. I recently lost mine and I have really missed it (don't clip on your waistband - that's how I lost it) but I have a new one in the mail!

^^This, except I am not a stay-at-home mom. :tongue:
  • grlygrl123
    grlygrl123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I do use it in combination with an HRM while I am working out, though, as it's not very accurate for calorie burns during exercise. I also have the Aria scale. I like to track things because I am nerd and this just makes it fun and interesting! Stats and graphs and gadgets! YAY!
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY FITBIT

It has been a great motivational tool for me to get up and leave my desk, or to walk instead of read while DS is at soccer.

I also credit it with getting me through a tough (busy) few weeks where I have not been able to make it to the gym. With the Fitbit, I am motivated to get in movement (walking, stair climbing) where ever I can. Without the Fitbit, I probably would have become discouraged at my lack of "exercise" and likely gotten very down on myself. But with the Fitbit, I have a much better idea about how active I really am without the gym (and how beneficial my lunchtime walks are) and I feel really good about what I have accomplished during a crazy busy time. (But I still need to make time for the gym)

Best of all, I get rewarded for the walk or climbing enough stairs with extra calorie :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I did the math from the data since I bought mine, I'd say it's +/- 60-80 calories off my true TDEE. (I do override the calories when I do weightlifting or bike riding, since it doesn't record those correctly.) But that could be my own food measurement errors.

I find wearing it very enlightening. My TDEE is higher than I thought it was for my days when I'm active, but also lower on my sedentary days than I would have thought. I'm also more active overall than I thought I was. I would have thought I had more sedentary days. But it turns out doing housework and grocery shopping really, actually does burn calories.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I thought about getting one but I think I read that I can't sync it with my Iphone4....only Iphone4S and above? :grumble: Not going to invest in it and an updated Iphone!

Just FYI, mine doesn't sync with my phone ap. Just my computer. And I still love it.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I did the math from the data since I bought mine, I'd say it's +/- 60-80 calories off my true TDEE. (I do override the calories when I do weightlifting or bike riding, since it doesn't record those correctly.) But that could be my own food measurement errors.

I find wearing it very enlightening. My TDEE is higher than I thought it was for my days when I'm active, but also lower on my sedentary days than I would have thought. I'm also more active overall than I thought I was. I would have thought I had more sedentary days. But it turns out doing housework and grocery shopping really, actually does burn calories.

But how do you know what your true TDEE is? Maybe the FItbit is right? Maybe the online calculator? maybe none of them are? In the end, its all estimates. I tend to trust the Fitbit over the online calculators (while acknowledging that it is an estimate) since it is with me all day.