exercises for a fat guy?

Options
I am overweight. I am 6-2 366 pounds. I get winded just walking around work when I have to or walking to my car in the parking lot. Are there any low impact exercises I can do that will help with my weight lost?

Replies

• rell2k13
    rell2k13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First make sure your doctor has cleared you for physical activity.

Start by walking. take little breaks if you have to. Try to walk a total of maybe 10-15 minutes/day. Maybe after a couple weeks gradually increase it to 20 minutes.

Do you have access to an exercise bike? That's low impact if you have knee problems. A good way to build up your indurance.

Take your time. Ease into it.
  • charlesnapolitano
    charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    thanks so much there is a enough places at work to walk i am gonna try that
  • Buryjam1
    Buryjam1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Walking and swimming
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Another small thing you can add gradually is start parking farther away from the door at work, the store, anywhere you have to get out and walk to. Stop looking for that front row parking.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Walking. When you go to the store park further away from the doors. Walk at lunch time. Start off slow and build your way up. All it takes is one step and the rest will follow.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Start walking then move up to slow jogging. I started at almost 400 pounds and have lost over 130. Keep at it and good luck.
  • charlesnapolitano
    Options
    thanks for much for the advice everyone...i will start walking :)
  • timeformetofly
    timeformetofly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I suggest swimming, and you do not have to do laps or be a great swimmer to do that, just get into the pool in the shallow end and move for and little while and work yourself up to 20-30 minutes, but if you do not have access to a pool.. there are table equipment that you can use for your arms and some others for your feet to do at home while you sit... start slow do 5 minutes and work it up..
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    YUP...walking and swimming. Also, start a weight lifting program, this will help with maintaining lean muscle and help with body composition.
  • bgraz1994
    bgraz1994 Posts: 56
    Options
    Start with walking, begin with walking 10-15 minutes a day. When youre body feels comfortable with that move it up another 10 minutes. You'd be amazed at what walking can do! Eventually try getting up to walking an hour a day, you;ll feel great :)

Once youre comfortable try bringing 2 pound dumbells with you, and increase them to 5 pounders when you feel youve gotten used to the two pounders.

You said you work in an office? Begin to take the stairs everyday! I live on the 6th floor of my building and I havent taken an elevator in over a month and I can already see shape changes!

Like many others already mentioned, swimming!!

Goodluck :)
  • charlesnapolitano
    Options
    thanks so much...i am glad i joined MFP...everyone here has been so helpful!
  • JHarr454
    JHarr454 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Walking. That's where I started. Then, eventually, very light jogging. And back to walking when you get winded. It takes forever, or so it seems, but eventually, your body gets it. And by forever, maybe months to years, but if you stick at it, you get there.
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying, my best suggestion is walking. Park farther away, at work take the long way around to the bathroom/break room/etc., take an extra lap around at the store, fit them in wherever. Every little bit helps!

Maybe pick up a pedometer - start small but challenge yourself to more steps every day. Walk with a friend. Vary your pace. All kinds of options to mix it up!

When I started I just took my time going around the block once. Eventually I picked up speed and added another lap, then another.

Good luck!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Walking has been my main exercise. Easy and you can do it anywhere!
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I gotta agree, walking is a great way to begin. I lost my first 100 pounds just by keeping track of my food and walking. Repeating what was said before, gradually increase your time. I was dealing with a lot of lower back pain. The pain would stop me before my muscles or lungs did. One thing I did to work around this was to find a location where I could take small breaks (generally to stretch my back) in my walk in order to increase my total time and comfort. When I first started I would walk five minutes and rest three minutes. Gradually, I increased to walking ten minutes and resting three minutes, then 20/3, and so on. Now I can walk hours without taking the breaks.