Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Yogis- What do you think?

I have started Yoga for over couple months now and already started to see some benefits like- feeling more ebergetic etc.
I have also noticed that I am starting to tone my body. Is this possible with yoga?
Or is it just the healthier eating and' some kind of workout' combined together?

Also, please let me know what other benefits of yoga have you seen?

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Also, please let me know what other benefits of yoga have you seen?

Yoga Pants.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Depending what kind of yoga you're doing, there could be a lot of body weight resistance work going on. Definitely can tone your body.
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Thanks for responding. I am just doing the regular yoga. By that I mean- not the hot or core or how many ever versions out there.
    Any more yogis out there????
  • Bobbyjr72
    Bobbyjr72 Posts: 28 Member
    I've been doing bikram (hot) for a while now. When I was doing it 3 -5 times per week at night (along with other training programs in the mornings - P90x, Insanity, Tapout, etc) I noticed most of my weight loss (~30 very stubborn pounds). I wore a HRM to about a dozen classes and my calorie burn averaged 875 for 90 minutes ( I had heard that some people saw 1200 while others claimed it was impossible to be over 400, so I needed to see for myself). I also did a lot of other training with it but not even an hour of Insanity month two was close (capping out around 600). Definitely helped me with the chronic lower back / IT band issues, sleep, muscle tone, weight loss and I find I eat better and lighter when I am really in the yoga groove. You can't eat for 2 hours before class and after class you just don't want to. Plus your muscles appear longer and leaner. I'll tell anyone who listens to try it.
  • GoofyG
    GoofyG Posts: 1 Member
    So many different types of yoga - all will tone - hot/power yoga (Baron Baptiste) will cause quickest impact - kripalu is slower/meditative - any vinyasa is your middle of the road yoga. Read class descriptions when attending a studio - they vary greatly on class structure and intention. Many health benefits once you stop watching others around you and do it for your own 'self'. Lowers stress and is a wonderful tool if you are looking for a begining into being more mindful of your breath and becoming more flexible not to mention awesome introduction into meditation. Willingness is key - there is no bad or lesser than yoga. Namaste!
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    yoga is great for strength and flexibility. It can be a simple exercise routine or you can go a lot farther with it and make it a complete lifestyle....veganism and all.
    Good luck with your journey
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Based upon the recommendation of my personal trainer, I started attending a Yoga class this past November at my gym to increase my flexibility and balance. I went once a week for a couple of weeks and got totally hooked. I wanted more. So I joined a formal Yoga Studio near my home. Now I attend at least four classes each week. Since then, I've gained a noticeable increase in core strength, a reduction in my blood pressure, a loss of about four inches from my waist measurement, increased vitality, and of course, the expected increase in flexibility. My inherent balance is still a work in progress, but that too has improved somewhat as well. I'm also down about 12 pounds since my first Yoga class but I'd hesitate to give my Yoga practice sole credit as I ramped up my level of physical activity in many ways. About two months ago, I wore my Polar FT7 HRM during a beginner-level "Gentle" Yoga class and recorded a burn of 632 calories during that 75-minute class. I believe that calorie burn was accurate due to the heavy sweating I experienced during that particular class, and my limited level of physical fitness at that time. I recommend Yoga to anyone who asks about it. I'm definitely a convert and a fan.