Choosing a running shoe?

Options
Hello. I'm trying to pick up running. I've looked at some posts about running and avoiding injury, and most seem to say that it comes down to the shoes. I've developed shin splints, and posted on that. People told me to get good shoes. The problem is that I have no idea what to look for in a shoe. I've gotten lots of conflicting feedback. Some say as much padding as possible with arch support and all, some say go minimalist. See why my head might explode from this? The answers that made the most sense to me were the ones that said it depends on an individual's feet and everyone is different.

Is there an easy way to tell what kind of shoes I need? I've seen posters suggest going to a "running store." Before joining MFP, I didn't know there were stores specifically for running. I really don't think that's a thing in my area. Unless Academy does that sort of thing, I'm out of luck. Is there a different way for me to figure out for myself what kind of shoes I need?

Replies

• GNeiswender
    GNeiswender Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The reason you want to go to a "running store" is because they can watch you walk and properly fit you in the sneaker you need - with the proper support you need. I need extra arch support so it was good to know and they helped me pick a sneaker that best fit me.

We found the running store near us by a referral from the high school track team coaches - maybe if you know a runner in your area they can point you in the right direction.
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you. After searching online, I think I might have found one. They really don't have much info on their site. I'm actually surprised to find one. I hope they're still in business.

Before I go there, can you tell me how much I should expect to pay for them to look at my feet and sell me shoes? It would suck for them to look at my feet and how I walk/run, and then I don't buy anything because I can't afford it. It seems like it would be quite expensive, but what do I know? I've never even heard of this place.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Thank you. After searching online, I think I might have found one. They really don't have much info on their site. I'm actually surprised to find one. I hope they're still in business.

Before I go there, can you tell me how much I should expect to pay for them to look at my feet and sell me shoes? It would suck for them to look at my feet and how I walk/run, and then I don't buy anything because I can't afford it. It seems like it would be quite expensive, but what do I know? I've never even heard of this place.

What's the name of the place?

The analysis should be free.

The running shoes depending on the brand can be $50-$120 or so.
  • KassLamb
    Options

What's the name of the place?

The analysis should be free.

The running shoes depending on the brand can be $50-$120 or so.

It's called Foot Tech. It's been a looong time since I've paid over $35 for shoes, but I understand that shoes designed specifically for running with certain types of feet in mind would cost more than that. I sure hope I can find some closer to the $50 because otherwise I'll be using them to get me to work and school instead of putting gas into my car.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I won a pair of free shoes from a store called Gear Running here in MN. It's a small, independent store with a wealth of knowledge and walls full of shoes. I got fitted and the shoes explained to me, pros and cons, etc. I would definitely encourage you to go to a running store.

Running Room is a bigger chain that might be able to help, otherwise look for a smaller business. (Yay for supporting small business!)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and he measured my feet, looked at my feet and watched me walk. I recommend trying to find one....even if you need to travel a little to get to one.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you're from but is there a Fleet Feet near you? That's where I go and they are AWESOME.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I think the problem is that you need to think of shoes as an investment: an investment in your running and health and an investment in preventing injuries. For that reason, I don't think twice about paying over $100 on running shoes.

While I think running stores are helpful, I had to strike out on my own into minimalist territory. Some of the stores I've been to have had no such minimalist shoes even provided and everything screamed padding to me. Having had an ankle injury before, I turned to orthodics for a while, but now I am making the transition to minimalist shoes and have been pleasantly surprised with how easy it has been to "run correctly" with them. I always had a flat-foot strike with regular shoes, due to a drop in the heel that is normal in most running shoes. With minimalist, they take out that drop (zero-drop) and your feet practically force you to start running on the balls of your feet, which is the proper form (particularly to reduce injuries in your ankles and knees, where heel-running impacts the most).

With that being said, I transitioned my way to there. If you're brand new to running, this may not be the best fit, at least not right now. If you're only going to run a little bit, then you probably don't need to worry too much about the shoe.
  • JHarr454
    JHarr454 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am intimidated by "real runners," but that's because I know nothing. I went to a running store, and they were great. They employees were very friendly and they're all runners. I explained that I knew nothing, and then roughly what I wanted, and then they helped me get what I needed/wanted.

For me, that's key. Let them know you know nothing and then let them educate you.
  • KassLamb
    Options
    I won a pair of free shoes from a store called Gear Running here in MN. It's a small, independent store with a wealth of knowledge and walls full of shoes. I got fitted and the shoes explained to me, pros and cons, etc. I would definitely encourage you to go to a running store.

Running Room is a bigger chain that might be able to help, otherwise look for a smaller business. (Yay for supporting small business!)

Thank you. I looked up Running Room. Apparently, they're only in 2 states, neither one of which is Texas (where I am). I did look at their online shop, and holy cheese and rice! Their running shoes START at $110? I couldn't do that anyway. I'm seriously thinking that there's only this one little place here that I've mentioned. Running really isn't popular in my area, with high winds blowing dirt all the time.
  • KassLamb
    Options
    Not sure where you're from but is there a Fleet Feet near you? That's where I go and they are AWESOME.

Lol! Approximately 388 miles. Thanks, though!
  • KassLamb
    Options
    I think the problem is that you need to think of shoes as an investment: an investment in your running and health and an investment in preventing injuries. For that reason, I don't think twice about paying over $100 on running shoes.

I can completely understand that it is an investment. The thing is, in order to invest money in something, you need to have money to invest. It's not just that I'm cheap. It's that I seriously don't have the money once bills are paid. I'm a college student, and with my part-time job, I make about $120 a week. The amount I budget to spend on extra things is about $20. Some people save for months for a brand new car. Some save for months for a nice TV. Some save for months for a pair of shoes. It'd just be nice to get started running sooner than later. I thought running would be a cheaper sport, but apparently, that's not always the case.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    You CAN go out and buy a cheap pair of running shoes at like walmart or something. They're just going to die out on you a LOT quicker than a quality pair of shoes. You'll also just want to be vigilant on preventing injuries with those shoes as well. But it can be done, and you can come out a stronger runner with them.

Also, if the running store says you need something with a high arch, go get the cheaper shoes and get a pair of inserts for your shoes that are for people with high arches (or whatever they may say you need). Those can be moved from shoe to shoe and will help keep down the cost as well.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you on the money issue. One thing to consider - you can go get fitted, find the shoe you love, then go online and buy last year's model. Sometimes they can be up to 50% off, with very little change to the design (usually just colors or something). I wouldn't get a generic Walmart shoe, that's just asking for injury.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I went to an expensive running shoe store and had my gait analyzed, etc. because of horrible shin splints.Guess what? They sold me a pair of super expensive Brooks stability shoes and guess what else?.....my shin splints were even worse than before! I figured out what I need (minimilist shoes) through trial and error....I literally ran to my mail box without shoes on and discovered that I had no pain. After figuring that out, I went out and got a pair of cheap Nike Free 3.0 v3's which aren't true minimilist but close enough for me. They taught me to run the correct way which is mid foot and not to heel strike. Now that I have a good stride, I can run in just about any light weight flexible shoe and don't get shin splints. Sometimes it is just trial and error. Be smart though......What worked for me may not work for you.
  • KassLamb
    Options
    You CAN go out and buy a cheap pair of running shoes at like walmart or something. They're just going to die out on you a LOT quicker than a quality pair of shoes. You'll also just want to be vigilant on preventing injuries with those shoes as well. But it can be done, and you can come out a stronger runner with them.

Also, if the running store says you need something with a high arch, go get the cheaper shoes and get a pair of inserts for your shoes that are for people with high arches (or whatever they may say you need). Those can be moved from shoe to shoe and will help keep down the cost as well.

Yep. I can confirm that Wal Mart shoes will last me about 3 months. I really probably should save for a pair or find some odd jobs around my grandparents' or aunts' houses to go to that running store.

Injury prevention is a concern for me trying to do it without guidance. This is how it goes: I get a new pair of cheap shoes, I try running for about a week. I either sprain my ankle or develop shin splints. I take time off to let it heal and meanwhile lose interest in running. I get interested in running again. The cycle repeats.

Thanks for the suggestion of the inserts or finding clearance items online. I may do that, although I'd hate to use up their time having my feet analyzed and then not buying from them.

edit: Ah, the online thing was someone else. Thanks anyway!
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I went right to ****'s Sporting Goods and they were very helpful and saw what kind of food I had and had me try on a few different ones to see which felt right for me. Everyone is different...so definitely go some place and talk to someone.
  • KassLamb
    Options
    I went to an expensive running shoe store and had my gait analyzed, etc. because of horrible shin splints.Guess what? They sold me a pair of super expensive Brooks stability shoes and guess what else?.....my shin splints were even worse than before! I figured out what I need (minimilist shoes) through trial and error....I literally ran to my mail box without shoes on and discovered that I had no pain. After figuring that out, I went out and got a pair of cheap Nike Free 3.0 v3's which aren't true minimilist but close enough for me. They taught me to run the correct way which is mid foot and not to heel strike. Now that I have a good stride, I can run in just about any light weight flexible shoe and don't get shin splints. Sometimes it is just trial and error. Be smart though......What worked for me may not work for you.

That's interesting. I've read about minimalist running and how many have reduced injuries by switching. I've also read that it's not for everyone and that it can actually increase risk of injury for some people. It seems that I've injured myself running enough times now that I may as well try it. At least if I injure myself again, I'll know that it's not for me. lol
  • KassLamb
    Options
    I totally feel you on the money issue. One thing to consider - you can go get fitted, find the shoe you love, then go online and buy last year's model. Sometimes they can be up to 50% off, with very little change to the design (usually just colors or something). I wouldn't get a generic Walmart shoe, that's just asking for injury.

What I said to triggsta when I got your posts mixed up... Thanks!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Going to a store and getting a proper fitting would be best. You won't get out of the store spending less than $100 and possibly even $135 or more! It is an investment!! I was also told that once you start running more than 3 days a week to buy a second pair and rotate them so the sweat can dry properly and not break down your shoe.

I also found a fitting guide at zappos.com. Maybe you can find a sale with free shipping. I would still spend at least $60. Cheaper sneakers tend to be for a day spent at an amusement park not for running.