Low-cal protein powder CANADA

Options
heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
I’d like to pick up some protein powder again. I did once last year but found it hard to push myself to use it because of the calories. What brand is reasonably priced, low in calories and available in CANADA? Please let me know what you use and where you purchased it. I just went on the GNC site and didn’t see anything there low cal so I’m not hopeful for any grocery or Walmart brands (I purchased Presidents Choice from Loblaws last time – but only since it was so cheap, $29)

Thanks!

Replies

• striker1988
    Options
    Depends, what do you consider to be low-cal? Wal-Mart's Body Fortress brand has about 130 calories and is cheaper than other flavored whey proteins you'll find. However, since you're a female, you could also use soy, although some might have more calories. Male body builders usually shy away from soy because it can have a feminizing effect, but that's not something you have to worry about.
  • Taliko
    Taliko Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use the genisoy protein powder, which I got at Safeway. I don't know where you live in Canada, I live in Winnipeg and safeway is everywhere. Pretty decent stuff, tastes ok. 150 cal per scoop.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone but I guess I’m going to have to go back to the smoothie recipes forum and search sometime to find the low-cal protein that had been mentioned in the past. There is a 60 and 80 calorie one that was mentioned. It may not be in Canada but a name will get me started on the hunt at least.

* On a fun note, my sister just bought this protein powder designed for women so its 117 calories and has 50% of your daily calcium requirement and no sugar. It's in a bag not a tub at Shoppers Drug Mart – neat!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Are you able to order, and have delivered in Canada, from HSN? I use/order, all of my supplements, and my protein powder from the Andrew Lessman line on HSN. His protein powder line, Secure Complete Meal Replacement, has many different flavors. I use the coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and peanut butter. I think there are 2-3 more flavors. The first thing I do, in the morning, is have a coffee shake. I use one scoop of the powder then add about a cup and a half of water and I love it. That is only 77 calories. After my morning coffee I make a smoothie, as my mid morning snack, using the other flavors. I might use a scoop of vanilla with frozen mixed berries, vanilla yogurt, and again a cup and a half of water. Or I use half a scoop of chocolate, half a scoop of peanut butter, vanilla yogurt, one frozen banana, and again water. 1 scoop of vanilla = 70 calories and it is a good vanilla taste. 1 scoop of chocolate = 70 calories, 1 scoop of peanut butter = 81 calories, 1 scoop of pina colada = 70 calories, and 1 scoop of mixed berry = 70 calories. Also, every single one of them are already in the database. He also sells them in individual packets to take on the go. If I am running low on calories, at the end of the night, and I have a hunger twinge, I will make a shake too, to satisfy me. Hope that helps!
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Heathersmilz, can you tell me what brand your sister bought for 117 cal?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Find a popeye's near you.
    Dymatize elite
    117 calories
    24grams protein
    0 grams sugar

Chocolate and orange taste great.
    Stores across canada
    http://www.supplementscanada.com/retail.htm

edit: I see your also in toronto. There are two locations in downtown TO.
    I visit the one in newmarket/peterborough when we go for a drive.

dymatize-elite5lb-choc-info.gif