Is a 12 minute mile too slow?

Options
Although I would also like to lose a few pounds, my main reason for joining MFP was to get fit. I began by doing workout DVDs and about 8 weeks ago I started running. I've been doing the Couch to 5k programme and it's going quite well - I'm actually enjoying running, which I never ever thought would happen!

My problem is that my pace is SO SLOW. I actually didn't realise how slow until I spoke to three coworkers today. They have been running for much longer than me, but were saying that they run between an 8-9 minute mile. I was too embarrassed to admit that I run a 12 minute mile on average!

I just wanted to get some advice from some more experienced runners. Is a 12 minute mile too slow for a beginner? At what point should I start trying to speed up? Is there anyone out there who started off like me and is now running at a 'fast' speed?

I'm 27 and have a normal BMI, so I have no real excuses (other than the fact I genuinely was a bit of a couch potato before I started). Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    GOSH NO.

I've been running since Dec using that program and I used to be a sprinter - 7mph - now I run at 5.2-5.5 mph. Right now J'm working on my speed. Don't worry. You'll speed up, worry about getting through those intervals! Haha!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    12 minute mile is fine for a beginner. Heck, my normal race pace is between 11 and 12 minutes per mile and I've been running for almost 2 years. The fastest mile I have ever run was 9:48 and I couldn't have gone much further at that pace.

Just don't compare yourself to others. Run because you enjoy it. The speed will come with time.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Nope, not slow to me. I've been running for three years and started at a 13 minute mile, now I average between 11 & 11:30 minute mile (faster during races).

Would I like to be faster? Sure, who wouldn't want to run fast... but I'm just happy that I can run at all! :tongue:
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Certainly not. The speed will come as your body adapts and becomes more efficient. Finish up your couch to 5k (which is excellent) then look for a next stage plan. A good mix of easy runs and interval work later on will bring it along nicely.

Your 12min mile is a lot faster than the people sat on the couch are achieving......
  • linusr
    linusr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As you get fitter you will find you can go faster. You are a whole lot faster now than when you were sitting on your couch. We all run our own runs; don't get down on yourself, just work steadily and you will improve.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have been "running" since last October, and have only just reached 12 min mile pace. I don't think it's slow. Just enjoy your running.
  • KatyCrum6969
    KatyCrum6969 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I ran a 15 minute mile in 6th grade.
    I remember because I had the slowest time in class, slower than the fat kids.
    Of course, I was a rebel and walked 3/4 of it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I started at a 12 minute mile, and now I can run a mile in just over 7 minutes, and a 5k at an 8 minute mile pace. And even if you stay at a 12 minute mile, so what?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Better to have a slow pace then a too fast of pace and injure yourself.
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I ran a 15 minute mile in 6th grade.
    I remember because I had the slowest time in class, slower than the fat kids.
    Of course, I was a rebel and walked 3/4 of it.

When i walk the dog, i walk 4 miles in one hour...or a 15 minute mile.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I believe any speed at which you get off the couch is a good speed. When I first started doing 5 and 10K's I was running about 12 minute milles. One time I came in last but got a first place ribbon for being first in my age group. The main goal for me was to finish!

12 minute mile...:)

Shirley in Oregon with a 15 minute mile walk.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    a 12 min mile is to slow if you are a hs track star if you are just running for exercise it is not too slow.

Did you know you burn more calories running a 12 min mile than I do running a 8 min mile over the same distance?
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Eh? No.

Sitting on the sofa instead of going for a run - THAT is what's too slow :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I hope not. That's where I am. Sometimes 13.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    To slow...for whom?

You stay accountable to YOU. You are the one who sets your goals and boundaries.

You can only improve from hereon out.
  • luvmynook
    luvmynook Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    12 min mile.......................I can only wish..............I think that's pretty good!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Keep it up and you will be running faster. I used to be at 12 minute miles and now I am between 8-9 for shorter distances and 9-10 on ling distances. You will build up endurance and speed over time. Just remember, you a running faster than the people who are sitting on their couches doing nothing!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    12-minute mile? No problem.
    Everyone starts somewhere around there.
    My wife runs five times a week. She runs somewhere between a 9- and 10-minute mile.
    I had knee surgery a year ago in January, and, until recently, I was slogging along at an 11-minute mile pace. But it is getting better for me now.