DEATHLY afraid of Loose skin-HELP!

Hi all!
My starting weight was 280 and right now at 262.4:smile: My goal is 150... and I am DEATHLY afraid of loose skin!

Please can anyone help me with how to avoid loose skin... I have heard strength training helps, but I don't really know how to do it that well. I would be open to suggestions on how to strength train as well.

Also, input... do you think by applying lotion often, it would help with the elasticity of the skin and help with the loose skin? Thanks everyone! (ps. I am open for new friends!)

Replies

• dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    I personally enjoy body wraps of all kinds. I don't know if they "lose inches" like they claim, but they feel great and the last time I lost weight - I treated myself to a wrap after I lost 20 pounds. My skin felt great. I think it depends on your skin and body and your own personal chemistry, but I enjoy wraps and perhaps they can help keep your skin nice and supple.
    At minimum, its a nice reward for losing weight.
    All spas offer some kind of body wrap.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    You will probably have some loose skin after losing a large amount of weight. But, depending on genetics it will tighten up some in time.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Loose skin happens. There are way more terrifying things to be afraid of - it's not like loose skin is going to rise from the grave and eat your brains or suddenly explode your car or anything.

Weight training will help some; you can start with a bodyweight program or if you have a gym go with Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting or something like that. It's also just an overall good idea, so there's no reason not to jump on that now.

Lotion doesn't help that much because it's the underneath layers of your skin that are stretched out. It certainly doesn't hurt, though - I've been using a firming lotion that makes everything look a little better, even though it really isn't fixing anything.

Mostly you just have to give it time. Eventually it'll get better. Or you'll get a job with insurance that covers the tuck, which also works.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    I've heard the younger you are the more elastic you're skin will be and that it can take like 2 years for excess skin to become more normal. I think the key is to lose weight slowly, so your body has time to "absorb" excess skin. Your skin is an organ and needs proper hydration and nutrition like any other organ. You can nourish your skin and exfoliate it like you would your face. It helps remove dead cells and increase blood circulation. You could talk with your doctor about getting a cream to increase collagen production too.

Feel free to Friend me. I log and provide encouragement daily. Keep up the good work!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    You look fairly young and that will have a big impact on how quickly your skin will loosen up.

Alot goes into the loose skin

your age

How hydrated you you

Genetics

and how long you were overweight.

Either way I lost 50 lbs and had loose skin but after a year or so it really improved.
  • beckysliva
    beckysliva Posts: 5 Member
    I started at 274# last time and ended at 160#. I worked out--ESPECIALLY lifting weights.

I did my best to do full body weight lifting atleast 2x/week.

I really wanted to focus on bench pressing b/c I didn't want saggy boobs, saggy triceps, back skin... I lost 110# and looked great.
  • liliana51886
    liliana51886 Posts: 38 Member
    Becky you did look great and are such a inspiration. I was just thinking about that today how I want to look like you did b4 bb and how inspirational you are to me. How long did it take you?