Is a 12 minute mile too slow?

Options

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I think I'm slower than you hehe. It does suck when every other jogger whizzes right past me. Then again, *most* of the other joggers are not doing non-stop endurance runs.

I do have another 20kg (44lbs) to lose and I think running with less weight will help be get faster.
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Tiny Dancer,

LOL...If I could get to 12 minutes a mile I'd be smiling wide as the great big muddy:)

I'm 63, fings change, matelot. Take your time, don't injure things and you'll get there.

YOU have plenty of time.

brendan
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies!! That's really reassuring. I guess I will just keep at it then and try some of your tips to see if I can get faster in future. And avoid comparing myself to the girls at work :-)
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1st off, congrats for even running at all. you are already a step ahead of soooo many people. as far as speed, i've read that some people are distance runners and some people are speed runners. i consider myself a distance runner. i'm not fast by any means, but i can run/walk forever. just enjoy it. if you get faster with practice, SUPER, if not, just keep running...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I first started the process of regaining my fitness, I couldn't even run an entire mile...I'd walk at least half of it and it pretty much took me the better part of 18-20 minutes just to go a mile.

I can now do a full 3 miles non-stop and my pace is around 12.5 minutes for those three miles. Personally, I'm feeling pretty good about it, though, when I was in the Marines I ran a sub 8 minute mile...so that's what I'm ultimately shooting for, it'll just take awhile to re-gain my fitness.

Just enjoy and let the endurance and speed come to you, it'll just happen on it's own if you keep at it and keep pushing yourself.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere...Don't let it get ya down and work on improving.

I actually used to keep trying to push myself more and more, now I am more keen on some going at a relaxing pace. It's helping me to enjoy running again.

If you have a time goal in mind this obviously wouldn't work for you.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    No it's not too slow. You could run that slow for ever and that would be just fine:)
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you were delivering my pizza on foot and were a mile away, I wouldn't be complaining.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 12 minute mile.
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    Personally I'd rather run 5 12 minute miles than run 1 or 2 7-9 min miles. But for my case it's the elliptical. I can VERY nearly do a 15 minute mile (0.98) but I'm going at a pace I can't really sustain over my 45 minute work out. So I take the 3.8 to 3.9 mph pace but do it for 45 minutes.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I was feeling really demotivated after work but now feel inspired again to carry on running. Love MFP for stuff like this.
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are in a car traffic jam on the freeway where the speed limit is 75.

The last 5K i did was 53 minutes, down from well over an hour when I first started doing them 2 years ago.

Improve yourself, don't try and keep up with the Jones'.
  • TIFJAZJUL
    TIFJAZJUL Posts: 13
    Options
    I started running last summer with a 15 min mile pace. I am just now running a 12 minute mile. Your race Your pace :)
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    A 12 minute mile is a lot better than a 0 minute mile. Keep it up and your speed will come.
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's only too slow if you feel like you COULD go faster and still enjoy running and still want to go out and run again tomorrow. Running is so individual! I used to be hung up on my pace.... Now I celebrate that I am going faster than everyone who is still sitting on their butt at home:) Happy Running!!!!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Your race Your pace :)

Love this!
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I improved a lot in my first year of running, but I've remained pretty consistent since then. I started off with probably 8 minutes per km, now it's about 5 1/2 minutes per km. So in terms of miles, it's probably around about 9 minutes per mile. However, for the last two years or so, I really haven't gotten any faster.

I'm not trying to win any races, I'm just trying to be fitter. I'm still the winner, because I'm doing something instead of nothing. And you are also the winner for the same reason.
  • hannahwhelan
    hannahwhelan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started running again after a year long hiatus around 8 weeks ago. The first time I went out I ran/walked 4.89 miles at a pace of 15min/mile. Today I ran 4.75 miles (non-stop!) at a pace of 11:35min/mile :-) Your speed and endurance increase over time, keep pushing yourself to run longer and faster and you'll soon be running a sub 12min/mile!
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter how fast you run - the fact is you're out there! I started at 12 or 13 minute mile! Now I'm at a 9 to 10 minute mile and still working on improving! Don't give up!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Oh, heavens no. It's all relative. Don't compare yourself to others, because just remember - those coworkers of yours running 8-9 minute miles are slow compared to the 6-7 minute mile runners, and even those runners are slower than elite runners...

Some people improve quicker than others, depending on a bunch of factors, but you will improve if you keep yourself healthy and keep it consistent.

Just as others have said, you're much faster than those folks who choose to sit on the couch for 12 minutes at a time. :smile: