The Fast Diet

Options
Has anyone tried the new diet that is out called the Fast Diet.

two day of 500 cal only

five days of eating normal

just wanted to know if this works.

Replies

• bkatz31
    bkatz31 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow I am curious now too. : )
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It works for some.

Some people find it hard to adhere to.

Overall it's more important that you hit you stay in a reasonable calorie deficit.

If fasting helps you do it than go for it.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Is that something you're going to do for the rest of your life?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If it works, the reason is that you are creating an overall caloric deficit.

It would be much easier (and more delicious) to just have a small caloric deficit every day instead of two days of an extreme deficit.

http://impruvism.com/simple-weight-loss/
  • BillyWeaver1234
    Options
    This. "Slow and steady " I've tried all these so called diets over the years. Sometimes I would loose a couple pounds but would be miserable and gain it right back a week later. Eat healt, modest portions and excerise. The success I'm seeing now is so much better cause I actually Feel good.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    If it works, the reason is that you are creating an overall caloric deficit.

It would be much easier (and more delicious) to just have a small caloric deficit every day instead of two days of an extreme deficit.

http://impruvism.com/simple-weight-loss/

PLEASE read the link 1CG posted.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I did this for 3 months August to October and lost a pound and a half per week. Ate at maintenance or just a little under on the non fast days.

I stopped while on vacation and never re-started and just held a more conventional calorie deficit after returning from vacation. Will probably re-start 5:2 in a week or so. Currently eating at maintenance for a few weeks to try to break a plateau.

Pros: I lost steadily with this eating pattern. It was nice to have extra calories for social eating on the weekends. I thought I would find occasional extreme deprivation easier to handle psychologically than constant low level deprivation. If that's the way you are, I think it is a sustainable lifestyle. My old GP would fast one day a week for a while whenever he noticed his weight creeping upwards.

Cons. I found the fast days quite tough. A beneficial thing is you learn what real physical hunger is. It is quite different from feeling peckish. I also learned that hunger comes and goes in waves but doesn't get progressively worse, and ignoring it doesn't kill me. No longer afraid of getting hungry.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Question: the how come when this is called Intermittent Fasting, everyone in this site is cool with it, but when it's called the Fasting Diet everyone poo poos it? I'm neither for nor against IF, I just find this to be a curious phenomenon.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't see any upside to starving 2 days/week.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to alternate day fasting, a form of IF like Davpul said.. Its not very fun. But go for it and see for yourself.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • joltek
    joltek Posts: 5
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 since January and I love it. I've lost 9lb in 8 weeks so its slow but steady. The first 2/3 fast days were hard but they have gotten easier each time and now I barely notice them. First few weeks I didn't lose much as I panick-ate on the other 5 days but now I find my appetite is decreasing on the other days and I am feeling much less obsessed by food. My plan is to get to my goal weight then do 6:1 and I feel this is something I would be able to do long term. Early days but worth a try if the idea appeals to you.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the new diet that is out called the Fast Diet.

two day of 500 cal only

five days of eating normal

just wanted to know if this works.

There is nothing new about this diet. It is just a recycled idea/book that is only now getting a lot of attention, positive and negative, by the media. The best book on a similar method of IF came out about three years ago: "Eat, Stop, Eat Extended Edition" by Brad Pilon. I can't condone nor oppose this form of IF since I have never fasted for 24 hours, much less twice per week, but the book goes over the most current studies (or at least current by time of publication) on the subject.
  • beasley65
    Options
    I have tried it for two weeks now. Down 3 lbs. Given I have been going to bootcamp for 3 months and tracking my daily intake the entire time with no change in weight, a 3 lb loss is a huge achievement. I track between 500 and 600 calories on my fasting days and try to drink more fluids than I normally would on those days to try to feel full. So far, all good!