miscarriage? (a question for the ladies)

Options
hey guys, so i wasn't sure where to post this, but i guess I'm kind of looking for support so here i am.

i have been losing weight consistently since i started this journey, but about a month ago i noticed that the scale was no longer moving and i wasn't losing inches from my waist or hips any longer.. i am only 15 pounds away from my goal weight so i just assumed that it was because I'm reaching the end of the road and that the weight will just come off more slowly from here on out.

well, i found out a week ago that i was pregnant (by pregnancy test) and i had my first appointment scheduled for today to make sure. this morning i woke up and was bleeding. i lost the baby at 4 weeks, 6 days along.

my question for you fellow ladies: have any of you had a miscarriage? how is my weight loss going to change from here on out? should i not expect to lose weight for a little while?
this is just totally new for me, and its hard for me to go through alone.

anyone not wanting to post on here for everyone to see, feel welcome to message me. any thoughts would help (:

thanks guys <3

Replies

• debege
    debege Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have not suffered a miscarriage, but dealt with infertility for a long time. I just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss. I hope someone can answer your question for you.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have too, and I'm very sorry for your loss.

Your weight loss may slow for a week or two, or even speed up, as your body readjusts to not being pregnant.

Really, I'm very sorry.
  • melbournemummy79
    Options
    :( Im so sorry for your loss.
    I would give you body a good month to recoup. A full cycle should get your hormones back into check. Take it easy on yourself and make sure you get the emotional support you need.
    *hugs*
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    :C <3 -hugs- I'm sorry for your loss.

This is something I went through about 40 pounds ago. My weight fluctuated like crazy afterwards, I assume because of hormones. Just worry about taking care of yourself and being good to your body, the 15 pounds -will- come off, just maybe expect some ups and downs for the next couple of weeks. I noticed things being more normal after my next period.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I had a miscarriage in January at 8 weeks. It took 5 weeks to get a new cycle, but weight loss started a few weeks before.
  • ameliayaron
    ameliayaron Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss! I had a similar situation, hormones went bananas... the harder thing for me to deal with was my head - I swung between wanting to eat everything and wanting to eat nothing. For a long time I couldn't do much exercise because I was in a lot of pain. Take the time to be kind to yourself for the next little while. Assume that your body is going to be a bit of a pain and won't play ball the way it was. Celebrate the small things - "I went for a walk today even though I REALLY didn't want to"... "I didn't bury my feelings in cheesecake".... I also decided to become vegan about two months after... that actually has helped me immensely to get stable again even though my job is crazy and demanding and my exercise is all over the place.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    hey guys, so i wasn't sure where to post this, but i guess I'm kind of looking for support so here i am.

i have been losing weight consistently since i started this journey, but about a month ago i noticed that the scale was no longer moving and i wasn't losing inches from my waist or hips any longer.. i am only 15 pounds away from my goal weight so i just assumed that it was because I'm reaching the end of the road and that the weight will just come off more slowly from here on out.

well, i found out a week ago that i was pregnant (by pregnancy test) and i had my first appointment scheduled for today to make sure. this morning i woke up and was bleeding. i lost the baby at 4 weeks, 6 days along.

my question for you fellow ladies: have any of you had a miscarriage? how is my weight loss going to change from here on out? should i not expect to lose weight for a little while?
    this is just totally new for me, and its hard for me to go through alone.

anyone not wanting to post on here for everyone to see, feel welcome to message me. any thoughts would help (:

thanks guys <3

Sierra ~ Good evening. I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I personally have not experienced a miscarriage but I have observed 2 separate miscarriages and the weight loss that came with it via 2 friends.

Case 1: 42 years old, white American professional. Was pregnant with her twins. Within her first trimester, she too experienced bleeding in the morning and the doctors confirmed to her later that day, that she had lost one of them. Long story short, she carried the healthy surviving twin to term with the deceased twin still in her womb. Her weight loss post pregnancy was faster than after she'd lost weight following her eldest's birth ~ a single child.

Case 2: 33 years old, Eurasian American. After receiving confirmation from her doctor that she was indeed pregnant, she lost her baby about 3 weeks later. Her case might be similar to yours because despite being pregnant and taking it easy, she chose to continue her workouts with her Personal Trainer. I don't rightly know what her programme was although I am aware that she was a recovering ED and a Cervical Cancer survivor. She was one of the lucky ones - the fortunate few who'd survived Cervical Cancer and successfully carried 2 single babies to term, from her frozen eggs.

Her weight loss following her miscarriage, wasn't easy. I can't say that it was because the programme didn't work; If I had to critique her, I would say she lacked the discipline and the dedication required to lose fat weight. And she had an excess of 40lb of fat before she found out she was pregnant and she hates workouts. Her Personal Trainer was her motivation.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss.

Everyone responds differently when they go through the hormonal changes associated with pregnancy. If you continue to eat healthy and exercise you'll probably find that you start losing in the next two weeks. It also depends on whether or not you use a chemical birth control (or IUD) or whether you use condoms/calendar as birth control. The chemicals and IUDs affect your body chemistry. I won't go into the moral issues here; it's too sensitive for this forum, but whatever you do, remember that it can affect your chemistry and thus your weight loss.

As far as plateauing during pregnancy, I've known people who lost weight during the first five months while still being healthy. Really. They didn't start to gain until after week 20.

I wish you the best of health.
  • jamiemcdonald1
    Options
    First off, I am so sorry for your loss. Miscarriages are not easy and I feel for you. I had a miscarriage when I was 11 weeks along so I was pregnant a bit longer so I don't know if my situation will be the same as yours. However, my hormones went crazy after my miscarriage. After our "one cycle" wait that doctors recommend we started trying again so I wasn't trying to lose weight nor was I weighing myself. But when I did get pregnant and was weighed at my first appointment I realized I had gained a lot of weight since my miscarriage :( Keep doing what you're doing, exercising and eating right and it will all balance itself out but just know it may not happen the way you think. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. I had a late miscarriage in early 2011. I was devastated. Now I have a 7month old. So my body has been in and out of pregnancy for the last couple years, the last one being full term. Your body can and will bounce back. Be patient, eat healthy and exercise. Don't rush the weight loss.

Again, sorry for your loss.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i miscarried at about 5 weeks, i think i lost excess water weight.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I just want to give you a *big hug*.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    A miscarriage that early is referred to as a chemical pregnancy. Many women may even mistake them for a heavy and late period if they didn't take a test yet. They are very common (I had one also at 5 weeks). My period resumed as normal the following cycle.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry this happened to you. The thing I found out when I had my miscarriage (at 20 weeks along) is that once you get to a certain age, pretty much everyone has had one but they'll only tell you when you do. So you're not alone, it's a big boat we're all in.

Take time and be kind to yourself. When you're ready, it shouldn't be any harder or different to lose weight than it was before - if it is, you should get your thyroid checked, sometimes it can get thrown out of whack by pregnancy hormones. Still, though, that's rare, you should be fine.
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i just want to thank you all for your kind words and support.. i was on the pill and using condoms, so its not like i was trying to get pregnant. when the first test read positive i took 4 more tests! i couldn't believe it... i didnt let up on my pretty intense cardio exercises and still did my normal routine today... i just want things to go back to normal.
    thanks again everyone <3