its confusing........NO WEIGHT LIFTING

Options
I just joined a gym and had a nice break sweating aerobics hour , but later i asked the trainer how much weight i should start with but she replied that i shouldnt do any weight lifting cauze its gonna make me bigger.
Do you think thats right or should i just ignore her advice and start lifting light weights ????

Replies

• jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That is BULL****!. I always thought the same thing too, my arms have always been big and was afraid to make them any bigger. but I always do strenght traing after my cardio and they haven't gotten bigger. With the weight loss they are becoming toned and rather nice looking. I am wearing tank tops and sleevless shirts for the first time. My legs are also getting smaller and more muscular. It also helps to boost your metabolism by adding more muscle to your body. Definitely do it!
  • trish58
    trish58 Posts: 1
    Options
    If only it was that easy to build muscle! I doubt you'll get bulky, women don't have the testosterone levels needed to build that mass. There may be a few women who claim they get bulky, but I think they are pretty few and far between.

Go for it! A muscular body burns more fat even when at rest.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I just joined a gym and had a nice break sweating aerobics hour , but later i asked the trainer how much weight i should start with but she replied that i shouldnt do any weight lifting cauze its gonna make me bigger.
    Do you think thats right or should i just ignore her advice and start lifting light weights ????

Yes. I am one of those very rare women who does bulk a little with weights. I'm naturally a bit muscular. But, note, I said a bulk a little. We're talking Venus and Serena bigger, NOT Schwarzenegger bigger! Seriously, weights are not going to make you look mannish. If you do put on some muscle, you'll just look athletic instead of spindly. It takes way more work than you can imagine (and maybe steroids) to look like a female body builder. Of course, weight lifting and strength training do cause water retention around the muscles while they heal, but that's healthy and normal and it does go away. Maybe that's what the trainer was referring to. Besides, weight bearing exercises have huge benefits. They raise metabolism and make you stronger. Being stronger means exercising more effectively overall. (I know doing downward-facing dog and plank poses got waaaaay easier now that I'm doing strength training!)

Hit the weights, and enjoy your new bigger muscles if you get them. :wink:
  • dougsheldon
    Options
    Yeah thats not true at all. It's all in the reps though. Relatively light weight for 12-15 reps will actually burn fat and make you more lean, whereas less reps of heavy weights will build up your muscles.
    Everybody should do 2-3 days of weight training a week though, no matter what their fitness goals are.
    I don't know how that girl became a trainer though haha that's like weight training 101.
    Anyways good luck!
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is an important part of any fitness routine. It helps build bone and muscle mass and increases metabolism. I have always used free weights, never going above 10 pounds when I was at my fittest, and my arms looked amazing. Keep the poundage low and the reps high, then you will start to see more muscle tone. Best of luck!

xoxo
    Maggie
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I am surprised a fitness instructor gave you such inaccurate information. Weight training will help you in sooooo many ways and you will not 'bulk up'. :glasses:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Unless you are taking anabolic steroids there is no way you're going to bulk up with moderate weight lifting. Weight lifting is key to weight loss because it reminds your body to prioritize keeping muscle over keeping fat, and because lean muscle helps keep your metabolism going as it slows to preserve your calorie reserves. Basically strength training helps you outsmart your survival mechanisms that make losing weight harder. I think it might be wise to ask your question of a different trainer, and if they all give you that answer, MFP can help you find plenty of studies to show them about the benefits of strength training for weight loss and for women.
  • TammySimon
    Options
    I personally like to call it strengh training, I lift 5 days a week and take weekends off. Light weigh high reps. The scale may not go down as quickly as I would like it to, but I remind myself that I am trading fat for muscle. I like to lift the do my cardio. After 2 weeks I have lost 3 pounds and lost 1 inch in my waist and hips. Just an example. Hope this helps, Have fun with it and train hard!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Total BS, but unfortunately something that is told to women a lot. You need to strength train for lots of reasons. And, unless you are juicing, you won't "bulk up". It's seriously hard for a woman to gain size with moderate strength training.

This "information" is repeated a lot, though...I had a Dr. tell me the same thing. I now have a new doctor.
  • Boston01810
    Boston01810 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I have been working out with a personal trainer three times a week for the past 16 months. Cardio, nutrition and weights. If you are a female, you will not get big arms. You will gain definition thats all. Your muscles tone up, the flab decreases!! GO FOR IT!
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else has said. That was really bad advice you got. Every study I have ever seen comparing cardio only/cardio plus weights groups indicats that cardio with weights burns fat much faster.

You simply will not, unless you were deliberately body building and had a body type suited to that, get a bulked up look. Strong lean muscle is dense and much less bulky than fat. In fact I have a propensity to bulk pretty easily, yet deliberately avoid doing so. But my whole programme (and protein-biased diet) is designed to develop a leaner denser muscle. It has a bit of a paradoxical effect. In my gym singlet people remark how I pump up and am looking more muscular. In street clothes I am looking leaner and leaner. It's the difference between superficial bulk that is half fat, and true lean muscle that looks strong but is not bulky.

I don't think that any form of exercise is wrong for men or women. Most people getting real results are mixing it up. Guys I know into kick boxing start doing balance and stretching classes, or even ballet. Women push some serious weight but look really lean. It's really good (and fun) to try new things, so your body has to keep adapting. For example one thing that everyone should consider is some boxing (not contact sparring, but training). Incredibly good for cardio-vascular fitness, and core strength. You won't suddenly sprout a moustache, deep voice and 20 inch biceps (grin). You'll get leaner and very fit and develop a great deal of self-confidence.
  • redtulips
    redtulips Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanx everyone for the advice, i will difinetly go for it .:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Boston01810
    Boston01810 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    You will be happy with your decision. Years ago I lost weight doing cardio alone. It was good and I got down to a size 10 pants. Now I am the same weight but due to the core / abd/ weight training and strengthing I am solidly in a size 8. (10's are too paggy). It will make a difference- Enjoy