Am i wrong??

Options
LynnW52
LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
A couple days a week I take care of an 18 month old little boy, I have a 21 month old of my own.

I charge his mom $2/hr and only for the hrs she is working. So when she drops him off at 2:30 and picks him up after 11, I only charge her from 3-11. I have another part time job and if she works on that day I pick him up from daycare when I pick my son up. I don't charge her for food or anything.

She is a nurse aid at a nursing home and she is working her first midnight tonight, and she keeps giving me *kitten* about charging her less because he'll be sleeping at he sleeps through the night. I'm sorry, but I feel like $2 an hr is still fair. So I asked her if the nursinghome was going to pay her less since the residents will be sleeping? She said well iI'll still be working but you'll be sleeping too. Right, and you'll be making $13 an hr and I'll be making 2.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I feel like I do a lot for her, I don't think asking for $2 is that much. I've never had to pay a sitter for midnights. So my question is, if you've paid a midnight sitter, how much did u pay them? Did they charge the same during the day? Am I being completely irrational over $2 or am I in the right? She never did suggest what she thought was fair. I mean I dint think she could find a high school kid to stay the night at her house for less.

Just curious....

Replies

• VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you are wrong. Good daycare is extremely hard to find and that's why I did my own for years when my kids were little. I think you are helping her out quite a bit. You sound like you go out of the way. I hope she wakes up to appreciate you. Good luck with the situation.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Sounds as if she is getting a great deal and you are getting the short end of the stick. $2 an hour is nothing and your not even charging for food or gas to get him. She wont get off that easy with anyone or anywhere else and get the care he gets. Dont back down ! If anything charge more.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Sounds as if she is getting a great deal and you are getting the short end of the stick. $2 an hour is nothing and your not even charging for food or gas to get him. She wont get off that easy with anyone or anywhere else and get the care he gets. Dont back down ! If anything charge more.

agreed
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I agree. Honestly, I'd tell her that your rates are reasonable and challenge her to find someone who will do it for less. She'll change her tune pretty quickly when she realizes that you're a bargain!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Do you know what the going rate for sitters is??? $2 is MORE than reasonable, it is ridiculous. In fact, can I bring you my kids too??

ETA: kids charge $10 and up an hour to baby sit nowadays. She needs to get over herself.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Its difficult with friends, as most ppl see them as our saving grace
    Be warned tho, friends can be manipulative
    Do your self a solid and see what other options you have
    or
    You can continue to be mistreated.
    The End!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    2$ an hour for overnight is a great deal, and it's way underpaid for daytime sitting!!! She is getting a great deal and she should not be complaining if she doesn't want to lose you as a sitter.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    They pay firefighters for sleeping....really she is going to ***** about paying $2.00 an hour.
  • kimmynw1
    kimmynw1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    A couple days a week I take care of an 18 month old little boy, I have a 21 month old of my own.

I charge his mom $2/hr and only for the hrs she is working. So when she drops him off at 2:30 and picks him up after 11, I only charge her from 3-11. I have another part time job and if she works on that day I pick him up from daycare when I pick my son up. I don't charge her for food or anything.

She is a nurse aid at a nursing home and she is working her first midnight tonight, and she keeps giving me *kitten* about charging her less because he'll be sleeping at he sleeps through the night. I'm sorry, but I feel like $2 an hr is still fair. So I asked her if the nursinghome was going to pay her less since the residents will be sleeping? She said well iI'll still be working but you'll be sleeping too. Right, and you'll be making $13 an hr and I'll be making 2.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I feel like I do a lot for her, I don't think asking for $2 is that much. I've never had to pay a sitter for midnights. So my question is, if you've paid a midnight sitter, how much did u pay them? Did they charge the same during the day? Am I being completely irrational over $2 or am I in the right? She never did suggest what she thought was fair. I mean I dint think she could find a high school kid to stay the night at her house for less.

Just curious....

$2 an hour is a steal at anytime during the day! You are not wrong and I feel she could be taking advantage of your kindness.
    Tell her to go around pricing daycares......especially overnight ones! She will see the error of her ways!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You're not wrong.

Tell her "Good luck finding someone to watch your kid for LESS than $2/hr. Quit your b!tching."
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wow. So daycare should cost less for the hours kids have an afternoon nap? I don't think they'd be too impressed.

Fact is you are still there making sure the kid is safe, soothing him if he's crying or upset, and there to protect him if there's a fire or anything goes wrong in the house. How ridiculous to begrudge $2 for that.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Just ask her whether she feels if u could leave the house while he is sleeping to take care of things u need done. IF u must remain in the house for him there should be a charge. It doesn't matter if he is sleeping, the child must be observed........
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    2 bucks an hour??? Shoot, I'll pay you 3 :-). I've never even heard of anyone asking less tha 8-10 these days. I have a 21 months old too btw, and mine is a HANDFUL!
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Girl, you are not wrong. Two dollars an hour is not much to begin with. it doesn't matter if the child is sleeping as you still have the responsibility to watch him regardless. Maybe he'll wake up? Or feel sick? I don't think you're being rude at all; I think she is being rude for trying to take advantage of you when you are already giving her an amazing deal. Yeesh, you need an income, too.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Day care centers charge for not only when the child is sleeping, but even if he doesn't come to school that day. I would give her 2 week's notice to find someone else to care for her child. You're already being taken advantage of.
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I was pretty sure that I was being reasonable, but I thought it was worth getting an outside perspective before telling her to go kick rocks.

I feel bad for her, she is a single mom with no family willing to help. Her little boy is very sweet and well behaved and he and my son play very well together. I really want to help her but she's making it pretty hard....
  • damienmyers69
    Options
    Its difficult with friends, as most ppl see them as our saving grace
    Be warned tho, friends can be manipulative
    Do your self a solid and see what other options you have
    or
    You can continue to be mistreated.
    The End!

Friends and family maybe awesome in peaceful times, but when it comes to money and taking advantage of those close to them, they are the worst of the worst, as they automatically think, i'm family, we're friends, should do it for free....

virtually everyone in my family is like that, i just tell them go find someone else to do it for less, then get back to me lol...

And luckily, they not talk to me anymore so problem solved lol.

:)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Day care centers charge for not only when the child is sleeping, but even if he doesn't come to school that day. I would give her 2 week's notice to find someone else to care for her child. You're already being taken advantage of.
    This.

I honestly thought it was a typo in the OP when I read the first "$2/hr" - then realized that is what she is actually charging.