Need a good HRM?

Options
Looking for a good heart rate monitor (HRM). A wrist one, chest step? Thoughts?

Replies

• shackelfordt
    shackelfordt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Polar is the best! You have to wear the chest strap and they have a wide assortment of models.
  • JPG1313
    JPG1313 Posts: 59
    Options
    Polar
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just got the polar T4 and love it!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you want a 'do everything' model, the Motoactv is pretty good - you do need to buy an additional HRM strap and the device isn't that cheap - however it does a lot of stuff - daily calories via pedometer, measuring 40+ sports, GPS, other sensors like cycle ones.
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    POLAR! Is the best. In order to get an very accurate reading, you'll need to wear a chest strap. I only have polar so that's all i could give you my opinion on. But I have heard the fit bit is good, biggest loser contestant's wear this and so do the trainers. (Jillian michaels, bob harper,etc.) I have the polar ft7. And its great and gets the job done. I got mine from ebay to get a little discount.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    POLAR FT4. Love it.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    POLAR F4...I bought mine 5 years ago and it is still going! Love it! It keeps an excercise diary for me and everything. I recommend making sure you purchase one with a chest strap. The polars are the more pricier on the market but it is a great investment.
  • MarkoPolo40
    MarkoPolo40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The MOTOACTV is pretty good and it has an 8/16 gig MP3 player so you don't have to carry/wear your telephone or another piece of equipment. It has GPS so you can see where you've run and a pretty good website that breaks down the stats (though it could be better organized.) I bought mine on Amazon for $150 (refurbished) for the 8 gig model. Good luck. Polar will probably be more accurate if you are an athlete, but for me it was about having wireless music and the HRM as well as the ability to track my runs in one device. Be warned however that Motorola is being hush hush about whether they are going to continue produce the MOTOACTV. Currently you can only buy the product on Amazon or similar and the price has gone up from just a few months ago. Also, you will need a compatible HRM strap.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Polar is great, works as advertised. Garmin I thought was a little better and Sunnto is hands down the best. I own them all and really just depends on what you want and are willing to spend. It's kinda like comparing a timex to Swiss chronometer. Sure, they both do a good job keeping time.
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    POLAR FT4! I compared to the machines at the gym when I enter weight, age, etc. and it is pretty spot on. Definitely get one with a chest strap. I agree that they are great investments. Great motivation to push through a workout when you can see the cals you are burning!
  • Rhiana1188
    Rhiana1188 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    In my experience, Polar is the best. They have monitors for all training levels. I have the Polar ft4 and I love it. I've had a wrist one, but it was not at all accurate. Then I got the SportLine Cardio 660. I liked it a lot but it totally crapped out 2 weeks after I got it. Polar is the most popular HRM out there. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sorry, have to play devils advocate here. "Polar is the best" it was not at all accurate and the other one crapped out after two weeks. Lol. I swim and complete mud runs in my Suunto. No signs of slowing down yet.
  • sbussert
    sbussert Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My wife and I will try the Polar and see how it goes.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    http://www.polaraustralia.com.au/au-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT4

Polar is the way to go. they have a wide range of chest, wrist models in designs to suit your style and they are reasonably priced and the beauty is the chest unit is removable from the strap so if it dies all you need is another unit not another watch/strap aswell also the watch will register any chest strap i think not just the one it comes with.

wrist monitors as someone else said is not accurate, you need to test your heart rate at the source for an accurate reading. same goes with blood pressure monitors, where the bicep is the best spot, wrist ones are innacurate
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    POLAR FT4! I compared to the machines at the gym when I enter weight, age, etc. and it is pretty spot on. Definitely get one with a chest strap. I agree that they are great investments. Great motivation to push through a workout when you can see the cals you are burning!/

THats weird cause mine was registering alot higher then the machines by a good 10-20% :)
    Granted it has since died on me, the last few times i apparently died seven times in 2 days lol but the 2 weeks b4 that i was burning like crazy and the machines tho the HR was accurate the calories burned was alot lower.