Strange stomach shape!!

Options
Hi all
I have a weird question.. I have a really oddly shaped stomach. Its ok on each side but then I have this area of fat in the middle - like a U shape around my belly button that just looks really odd. I have noticed in certain light it casts a shadow and looks horribl!! :( Some my friends are bigger than me and they dont have this - they have a slightly rounded stomach but not this weird U shape around their belly button. Does anyone else have this? How can I fix it? I know you cant spot reduce so I am looking to lose weight overall and tone up through exercise and diet. I also want to tone my bum as I have a bit of cellulite and it wobbles! Currently I am 5"2 and 112lb.. I have never seen anyone else who has a belly shaped like this so I am feeling really alone :(

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to focus on lifting weights in order to reduce your overall body fat.
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have that too. Mine's sort of split down the middle as well, so I have two bumps that U over my belly button. Mine's gone down over time, but like you said, you can't spot reduce, so all we can do is keep at it and it'll come off eventually. Believe me, though, I know how frustrating it is.

Edit: I just read you don't have any / a lot to lose, so like the others have said, lifting weights will really help a ton with reshaping your body.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Could it possibly be from where your waist band sits below it?
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would look into this post on separated abs: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/587099-fixing-separated-abdominal-muscles and/or an umbilical hernia. The hernia was it, in my case. OR, as others mentioned it could be genetics. But I'd rule out the other options too.
  • Imustgetfit16
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I dont think its from the waist band of my clothes. Its definitely fat deposits! I just dont understand why its not deposited evenly! So when you guys say lift weights - you mean arm exercises? (sorry I am new to all this).. Would a pump class be good to go to then? I dont really like going to the gym as I never know what to do but I love classes that push me and keep me interested. My favourite is step class but I think pump is more for toning? I am really trying hard with my diet too and cutting out processed foods and limiting things like bread and potatoes.. Thanks
  • Imustgetfit16
    Options
    Can I upload a photo on here to show you guys what I mean?. Its really annoying because i am only a size 6-8 so i am what i call skinny fat... small in frame and size but veerrry untoned!!
  • rosha267
    rosha267 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Omg I have the exact same problem!! I always felt like a freak cause it looks so abnormal. So far I haven't found a cure but I'm starting Pilates and I hope that helps.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you're totally new to weights here's a nice beginner body weight workout to get you started without having to go to the gym~

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to tone your abs, do ab exercises. If you're trying to tone your butt, do butt exercises. If you need specifics, do Google or Youtube exercises, but choose your words wisely.
  • Imustgetfit16
    Options
    thanks all. I am going to start weight training as well as more cardio
  • oliviar1998a
    Options
    Can you post a picture? I feel like we have the same issue but I'm not sure!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.

I love it, that is your answer to everything. I mean you aren't wrong its just funny that when you choose to post its on peoples threads who should be lifting heavy weights.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.

This, don't just do "ab exercises" or whatever, lift weights.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options

Start weight training and drop the cardio. At this point, you want to eat closer to maintenance and get about 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. When you eat closer to maintenance, it will allow you to maintain your muscle, so your losses are purely fat. If you still struggle to get that body you want, then you will probably have to add muscle (aka bulk) and then follow it with a cut to get rid of any new fat. In fact, some of your issue might be from low lean body mass. At 112 lbs, you are at the lower end of your weight range. So it's something you may have to consider.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to tone your abs, do ab exercises. If you're trying to tone your butt, do butt exercises. If you need specifics, do Google or Youtube exercises, but choose your words wisely.

No don't do that.

Do a compound lifting routine with progressive overload. Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or New Rules of Lifting are all good choices.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Start weight training and drop the cardio. At this point, you want to eat closer to maintenance and get about 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. When you eat closer to maintenance, it will allow you to maintain your muscle, so your losses are purely fat. If you still struggle to get that body you want, then you will probably have to add muscle (aka bulk) and then follow it with a cut to get rid of any new fat. In fact, some of your issue might be from low lean body mass. At 112 lbs, you are at the lower end of your weight range. So it's something you may have to consider.

And this.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Hi! I have the same type of tummy. What's shrinking it for me, is, as everyone else said- lifting weights.

I still need to lose 15 lbs so I incorporate cardio into my lifts. But I lift every day moderate weights. Starting in a few weeks, when school is out, I'll focus on lifting heavier weights. It's really helping me reduce my inches and that flabby belly has noticeably started shrinking after 1 month of strength training mixed with cardio 5-6 days a week.

I even have lil' muscles showing on my shoulders and biceps.