Is a 12 minute mile too slow?

Options

Replies

• CasiiD
    CasiiD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Most of my runs are 12 minute miles! For a race, I average 10 minute miles and I am good & wiped out once they're over. You're doing great.

I always try to only compete with myself and not compare myself to others.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It depends on what is chasing you. :)
  • cherylscanlan
    Options
    Tinydancer - your pace is your pace it is not too slow it is perfect. As a new runner you are safely building up your mileage and strengthening your body. Congratulations on starting and following a program. Focus on distance and feeling fabulous once you are comfortable running 5k then you can work on speed or increasing to 10k ;-) If you cross train and add walking hills you will naturally get stronger and faster. Be proud of your pace and body think of how many people are not able to run. Happy trails.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I personally don't' think it's too slow at all. I'm at a 13.5 min mile right now. I run/walk though. I think each and every person is different.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Although I would also like to lose a few pounds, my main reason for joining MFP was to get fit. I began by doing workout DVDs and about 8 weeks ago I started running. I've been doing the Couch to 5k programme and it's going quite well - I'm actually enjoying running, which I never ever thought would happen!

My problem is that my pace is SO SLOW. I actually didn't realise how slow until I spoke to three coworkers today. They have been running for much longer than me, but were saying that they run between an 8-9 minute mile. I was too embarrassed to admit that I run a 12 minute mile on average!

I just wanted to get some advice from some more experienced runners. Is a 12 minute mile too slow for a beginner? At what point should I start trying to speed up? Is there anyone out there who started off like me and is now running at a 'fast' speed?

I'm 27 and have a normal BMI, so I have no real excuses (other than the fact I genuinely was a bit of a couch potato before I started). Thanks in advance!

12 min/mile is only too slow if you are being chased by a bear running an 11 min mile.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    A 12 minute mile is great for a beginner! Keep up the good work and your pace will improve. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i think the first time i ran in september of 2011, i did two miles in thirty minutes.

you go on with your bad self!
  • xiantan
    xiantan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started running a 12 minute mile and now I am happy if I do a 10 minute mile. But you know, I have increased my distance from 1.5 miles to about 5 miles. You might consider getting a heart-rate monitor just to track your health progress.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    In high school, running a mile in 20 minutes meant you passed the gym class for the year, and if you couldn't do it in 20 the first time, you had to run it again. I was not remotely overweight in high school, but I was a terrible runner -- I always came in within seconds of hitting 20 minutes (and I practically killed myself to do that year after year, there was no way I was going to have to run it again! LOL!). So, in my eyes, running a 12 minute mile is great!
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    A 12 minute mile is still a mile.

Seriously: it's great. As a beginner don't worry about your time... just run. When I started running my first 5k was 48 minutes. Now I run them in 28 minutes. I didn't focus on the pace... at all. But, the more I ran the faster my pace became just naturally.

Don't worry about it for now. And good luck to you! C25K is a great program! :happy:
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    #1 the only person who is too slow is the one on the couch, still. :)

#2 you cannot compare pace between runners, and most runners won't. (in other words, no need to be embarrassed. it's like being embarrassed about hair color or height)

#3 12m/m is a very respectable pace. my ex tried to get fit enough to do a fire fighter's exam, for which he had to run a 12 minute mile (back in his early 20s!) and he never could do it!

I started out much slower than that, and I run about a 9m/m now, after 3 yrs, but since I run trail ultra marathons, my usual race pace is between 13m/m and 16.5 m/m....can't run as fast on a trail! ;)
  • PriscillaTison
    Options
    I just started running in the last few weeks. I am also VERY SLOW. Today I ran a 16 min. mile. Most runners would probably laugh at that, but I am an overweight 40-something mother (of many) with scoliosis, so, asking your question seems almost funny to me. Too slow for whom? Whose standard are you attempting to find? Who are you trying to impress? If you are told you should be speeding up, is it going to make it more doable? If you need someone to tell you you are doing fine, take it from me. You are at least no longer on the couch and that is a major improvement, so pat yourself on the back. You may not be fast, but you are still toning.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    If the concern is whether a 12 minute mile means you aren't pushing yourself hard enough, just snag a heart rate monitor (about $35 from Amazon), and check if you are coming in around 85% of your max rate. As your fitness improves, your times will drop.

Also, weather can make a huge difference, as I'll do 13 minute miles in icky hot humid conditions, and 10.5 in cool crisp weather for my 5k runs.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether you're running it or driving it. If you're running it, you're doing great!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I believe any speed at which you get off the couch is a good speed.

I'm a slower-than-average runner as well...and while we all probably want to improve and maybe even compete with our fellow runners...the above is absolutely true.

A six-minute mile, a sixteen-minute mile...still equals a mile.
  • PurposefulPractices
    Options
    Your race Your pace :)

Love this!

Me too! :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest, just gradually improve. I do intervals walking and running... Seem to improve that way. Just be careful. Injuries are awful setbacks, so push yourself but don't kill yourself trying to beat some goal you're not ready for. You're doing great. Keep it up :)
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    "No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch" ...I read that online and it inspires me daily when I run at my 5.2mph pace (approx 11.5 min mile). It's not how fast you go, it's how great you feel!! And running definitely can make you feel amazing :)
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I strted at 12-13min miles (even ran that in High School) bow I can run one in 9 minutes. Just put your shoes on and go, pace doesnt matter until you get more used to it. :) You are doing awesome!
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 12 min miles and was proud of myself that I managed to run for 33 mins without stopping. That to me far outweighs anyone else's times, I too was a serious couch potato! You should be proud of yourself too!!