This is worth a read.

Options

Replies

• FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Great article with one exception...

"Eat what makes you happy"

Food cannot make you happy. Don't eat to make you happy, because you'll be eating forever, always looking for that one magical bite that will bring you "happiness". He shouldn't have crossed the scientific plain into the psychological one with that one, presumably simple, statement.

Eat foods you enjoy.. but don't look to food for happiness.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Snake Oil diet? Supposedly, the oil causes your body to automatically go into something called 'calorie deficit' without any need to change what you eat or how much you exercise!!

Great article. Thanks for posting it!!

i hear that just makes you go into starvation mode...
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Great read..:drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Food cannot make you happy. Don't eat to make you happy, because you'll be eating forever, always looking for that one magical bite that will bring you "happiness". He shouldn't have crossed the scientific plain into the psychological one with that one, presumably simple, statement.

I think you are taking the words too literally there.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

(Armi Legge? Isn't he Dave Asprey's sidekick? That's kind of surprising that he would write that.)
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options

I think you are taking the words too literally there.

The psychological ties to food patterns and consumption (coping mechanisms, anxiety response, companion/social eating) are a huge factor in weight status and disordered eating. They should be treated as such... so yes, in the interest of the simplicity that the author himself is seeking to promote, I took his words literally. I think he should have selected his words more carefully. But.. semantics. Still a great article. Wow- I'm THAT poster, eh?

I'm a huge supporter of treating the psychology behind the eating patterns and habits that led to overweight/obesity, and even undernourishment, in the first place. When the "how" and the "why" line up.. that's when we get somewhere, so yeah, I'm probably hypersensitive.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Fantastic read!
  • teresab101
    teresab101 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Awesome article. Agree with it 100%.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    “You need to reprogram your genes for weight loss.”

someone once told me this in person. with a straight face. i laughed and marveled at their ability to change thousands of years of evolution based on a few meals.
  • 32thirtytwo
    Options
    Good stuff. Thanks for the posting.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    So. Much. Love.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    So are you against the "famous" road map? I'm not buying it.. I gained a good amount of weight.. starting over.. what fun that is!

Calorie defiicit is the way... why are so many people trying to fight it?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    "..... ignore what doesn’t work, find what does, and spend your time and energy on the latter."

The most important sentence in the entire article....because what works for one may not work for another.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Or Maintaing
    Absolutely agree with everything in the blog post.

(But haaaaaaaaaate to pull out the grammar card on the "article" - they couldn't skim and edit before posting? It's always hard to fully take an article seriously with simple mistakes such as your/you're.)
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    A majority of ppl on this site have good intentions but get severely distracted by all the crap out there. This should be required reading for all. My go to explination I share about weight loss is that it's not easy, but it's simple.

*edited to fix one of the horrid grammar mistakes lol
  • schreck44
    Options
    That was perfect!!!
  • mtc5995
    mtc5995 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting link. Good read. Sometimes its good to hear or read that what a person is doing is right.
  • 1tiamat
    1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    burn more, eat less, don't listen to nutritional salespeople. Got it.