I feel bad wasting food

Options
Hello All!

This is a BIG downfall of mine. I always end up eating so much more because I feel like I can't/shouldn't waste food.

How do you guys deal with this? I'm not talking about just when I'm eating out (my husband and I usually share a meal anyways) but at home. When I cook something or buy something that I think my family will eat, and it doesn't get consumed, a lot of times I'll end up finishing it off because I feel horrible throwing it away.

Help!

Replies

• LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I am trying to learn to cook less, as well as feeding my youngest two children left overs for lunch the next day to use up the food I normally would waste!
  • mamitc01
    mamitc01 Posts: 43
    Options
    Maybe plan on meals that can be kept as a leftover, as tomorrow's lunch or something...?
  • gennybunny
    gennybunny Posts: 59
    Options
    The food is already wasted. Whether you put it in your mouth or not. If you can't put leftovers away, put them in a container and give it away, to a homeless persons, a shelter or just a needy person you know. I would rather throw leftovers away then have to wear it. I've even started making a little less food, so I have less leftovers. If my family is still hungry after dinner, they can eat fruit for dessert! I hope that helps a bit.
  • Rivah67
    Rivah67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i put any left overs straight in the dogs bowl that way i'm not tempted and what the dog can't have goes in the bin
  • conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with gennybunny - I would rather throw it out than wear it. Another option would be to save it as a leftover, but not eat it. Wait for it to get moldy, then throw it out - I promise you won't feel bad throwing it away then! :wink:
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is also a huge problem for me
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Ziploc plastic containers.

Sometimes (like right now) I have an entire refrigerator full of them.

If you are measuring out your portions, the "end point" should be obvious--everything else gets put away. Actually, it can be helpful to pack away the leftovers before you even start to eat. You can also try measuring out your portions befor preparing the meal so that there are no leftovers.

It may require that you plan your meals better so that you incorporate the "leftover strategy" into your food prep. Today's roast beef is tomorrow's stir fry. Not only does it prevent wasted food--it can be a great way of "slimming" your food budget as well.

Whatever you do, don't feed leftovers to the dog. That's not really healthy for your buddy.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,661 Member
    Options
    Better to waste the food than to waist it.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Making a food plan each week helps me out a lot with this--I only buy and make enough food for x-number of planned portions for each dinner so that there are no "leftovers"... only extra full portions to take to work for lunch the next day :) I dish out the extra portions into containers and fridge them at the same time I'm serving dinner.
  • SusanSuccess
    Options
    ALL food is wasted.

When I realized that whether I throw it down the garbage disposal or (pardon the graphic) it goes down the toilet after eating it -- all food is waste, that helped me feel like I didn't always need to clean my plate. If I'm having trouble saying NO to what's on my plate I'll say, out loud, ALL FOOD IS WASTE. Then I can push it away.

I am also the freezer queen. Ziploc bags are my friends!!! If it's salvageable, into the freezer left-overs go. They can always surface later as a small lunch or light dinner. And my dogs are sometimes the recipients of a too-full plate.

Just be careful not to give grapes, raisins or onions to the dogs.
  • striker1988
    Options
    Ditto on what many have said already about all food being waste. I took a nutrition class once taught by a prominent bio-researcher/nutritionist and he discussed the "wasting food" issue and that for many of us, it is a psychological throw-back to an old school of thought that was systemic of the pre-1960's that basically encouraged strict parental control of children while at the table. Unfortunately, it's carried through generations and still exists today. You've heard it before, I think Pink Floyd said it very well, "You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!" line. Basically, it conditions (and damages) us mentally to the point where we're compelled to eat or save the food compulsively.

Many have mentioned saving things in the freezer/fridge. Many people I know do this, and the food sits there for days or even weeks in the fridge or months in the freezer and never, ever gets touched. You'll only be wasting space and stressing yourself out if you start saving things for the sake of saving them. Do it only if you know you'll definitely eat the food or you have a lot of excessive room in your fridge/freezer. Otherwise it's an unneeded nuisance for you and others.

Remember that eating habits should be fluid and based upon your goals. If your goal is to reduce your BMI, you have to think in THOSE terms and those terms only, not about wasting. The second the food was produced, it was already going to meet a demise somewhere, as those before me have said. However, by eating the food for the sake of "saving" it, you're only defeating your own goals. The food isn't sentient, it isn't relying on you to eat it, it doesn't have interests of its own, and quite frankly, anybody else who can use that food wasn't going to get it anyway, unless you gave it to them. So either save it, give it to somebody else or throw it out.
  • libtech50
    libtech50 Posts: 26
    Options
    I started something today and I hope this might help. I started using 7 inch plate. I place measured food on my plate, I also fix my mom and husband plate so I am not tempted to eat what is left on the table. When finish I store the left over for another day either in the frig or in freezer. Hope this helps.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I always remember people telling me not to waste my food because there are children in Africa starving. I could buy a bag of chips and eat only half of it or all of it. Either way, I don't think that bag of chips was going anywhere near Africa. But, you're all welcome to ship my leftovers across the Atlantic anytime.

Food goes to waste. Don't worry about it. I do, however, like the idea of taking big leftovers to local homeless shelters. That's a great idea if you have one nearby.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Remember that eating habits should be fluid and based upon your goals. If your goal is to reduce your BMI, you have to think in THOSE terms and those terms only, not about wasting. The second the food was produced, it was already going to meet a demise somewhere, as those before me have said. However, by eating the food for the sake of "saving" it, you're only defeating your own goals. The food isn't sentient, it isn't relying on you to eat it, it doesn't have interests of its own, and quite frankly, anybody else who can use that food wasn't going to get it anyway, unless you gave it to them. So either save it, give it to somebody else or throw it out.

That is the smartest thing ever said on MFP. You deserve a reward.
  • pamazado
    pamazado Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I save leftovers, if it is enough for one person..at our house It helps me get out of cooking 1-2 nights a week.. we have leftover night and each person gets to pick out of the treasure of left overs. I try to cook things thru the week that have a stronger appeal to one person or another to make it an easy choice on left over night. I agree with others..you can waste food or you can waist food...your choice.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've stopped putting the food on the table when we eat. We fix our plates and then go to the table. It cuts down on the "grazing". We almost always have leftovers...in fact, I usually count on it--that's what my hubby takes for lunch, and it's what I eat for lunch the next day too. If there is not enough for two of us left over, I usually let him take it...but then I have to figure out what to eat. So much easier to have it already decided. :-)

As for the wasting food thing, it is a hard mindset to get stop. I'm trying real hard to not raise my son to feel like he needs to be a part of the "clean plate club"--it's harder than I thought though. I guess working on smaller portions to begin with is key. You can always go back for more if needed.
  • MrsBattousai
    MrsBattousai Posts: 171
    Options
    Hey!

By the way I love this post I was like that all the time my kids would not eat so I would it well that got me to almost 300 pounds but not anymore I really like what you guys were saying waste is waste better in the garbage then more junk in our trucks or love handles. Tk's so much for the post guys it is great!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Better to waste the food than to waist it.

I love this!!!
  • Skinny100
    Skinny100 Posts: 77
    Options
    WOW - Thank you so much to everyone! It was so very kind of you to give me such great advice!!

I don't think I'll be "waisting" food again anytime soon!!!

May all of you have even better levels of success in return for your kind advice.

:smile:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Agree with whats been said about planning and using leftovers.....in winter if Im making a casserole or a soup,I'll always plan to make enough for more than one meal. I dont care what anyone says....throwing out IS ridiculously wasteful,and a very silly, westernised concept. Just planning meals is a really good way of saving food and money. Would you throw a £5 note away.....probably not,but techinically you are when throw wasted food. Not saying finish everything on ytour plate when youre full, but certainly dont throw food which could be made into another meal. :)