Treadmill desk, anyone ever used one?

Options
I am getting ready to change jobs and will be able to work from home 2 days a week. I am already planning to use those days to incorporate a little more exercise into my daily routine.

I have been fascinated with the idea of treadmill desks especially that they help combat the constant sitting at a desk that most people do (and that I will probably do the other 3 days of my job). I found some plans online for a DIY desk that will work with most any treadmill. But before I start rearranging furniture and installing shelves...I wondered if anyone has ever used one.

Thanks!

Replies

• captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I own a treadmill desk, but I purchased a commercial combo rather than building my own. Make sure you have somewhere to work when you aren't walking. First you aren't going to want to walk for a full work day, and second most treadmills can't hold up to that type of stress, you will burn out your treadmill. My treadmill designed for this can only operate for about 6 hours per day.

I really do like my treadmill desk, I am currently walking about 3 hours per work day, with the occasional jump up to 4 hours. I do between 15k and 20k steps each day.
  • livingongraceandmercy
    Options
    What in the world is a treadmill desk, i have to google that because i never heard of it. most people have sit down jobs and who would believer sitting has such an unhealthy effect on your body if you sit for long periods of time, i should know
  • LyraVega02
    LyraVega02 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am able to use my computer without any problems on mine, but I can't write legibly while walking. That's mostly due to my poor writing habits where I have to be slumped over the paper to produce anything that looks decent. I have spent hours on it playing games and watching lectures. Remember to make sure your keyboard ends up being at the right height!
  • slsherwood51
    slsherwood51 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ended up creating a standing desk. It forces me to move around when working, but it isn't as noisy as a treadmill. I talk on the phone a lot when I'm working, so I didn't want the treadmill noise.

Because my standing desk is a stacked on a regular desk, I can sit down and work too if I choose. I like using my standing desk to work. You can see it behind me in my profile picture.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I own two as I have two offices. Walk about six to ten miles a day. Way better than sitting all day but not exercise. More in the line of a waiter/teacher/postal delivery