Is less... more?

Options
I am training for the United States Marine Corp. o get down to 145lb to even enlist. I have lost a total of 10lb so far from my default picture but I don't see a difference, taken a month ago. I work my *kitten* off and burn a 1,000+ calories a day. Since I am getting in better shape it harder to burn those cals. I eat from 1200 to 1800cals a day and on here it says I should eat 1500cals. I went into this thinking cals consume are cals that should be burn. I notice a change in my energy level this week and not a good change I feel more tired, I have a hard time consuming food because I am not feeling hungry and when I should be improving in cardiovascular exercise I am slowing down. My base is 6.0 and I should be upgraded to 7.0 by the end of this week but I am going 4.0. I am getting stronger but slower. I def don't want to decrease in my workout because it is my full time job until I leave for basic. Should I increase my food intake and by how much and how much cals should I eat back that I burn? I honestly want to be healthy and don't want my body to go into starvation mode or not provide my body the proper nutrition. I do take one a day.

Some facts. I am 5'6. I weight 179.6lb from last weigh in. Workout 6 times a week and have one rest day.

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    The calorie range you're in really should be fine for your height and weight....I'm the same stats as you pretty much.

How do you know you are burning 1000+ calories per workout?

How accurately are you tracking? Do you take "cheat" days? Do you weigh and measure everything?

Also, have you lost 10lbs in the past month? If so, then really that is fantastic progress. You should also consider taking measurements along with your pictures.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is around 1650. You should net at least this much every day. So, it looks like this......1650+(exercise calories)=net. Looking at your numbers, if I were you I would net 1700. Remember, that means eating back your exercise calories so you NET 1700.

ETA: you have to log everything! Also, you have to make a very close estimate of calories burned. Perhaps use a good HRM.
  • JEmbry515
    JEmbry515 Posts: 46
    Options
    I burn 1,000 cals a day or more. I burn about 400cals/ workout. I use a heart rate monitor that tells me how many cals I burn. I do not have cheat days. I do measure and weigh everything I intake and even olive oil. I try to eat organic. Yes I have lost 10lbs in a month, tomorrow is my weigh in day. I lost 5lb my first weigh in I am sure most of that is water weight so I guess I lost 5lb of actual fat.
  • JEmbry515
    Options
    Your BMR is around 1650. You should net at least this much every day. So, it looks like this......1650+(exercise calories)=net. Looking at your numbers, if I were you I would net 1700. Remember, that means eating back your exercise calories so you NET 1700.

ETA: you have to log everything! Also, you have to make a very close estimate of calories burned. Perhaps use a good HRM.
    alright thanks I will try that
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Increasing your calories will certainly help with how you feel, however you may not notice the same losses in the next month as you have in the last month. Perhaps another option to consider would be to take 2 rest days/week instead of only 1.
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The calorie range you're in really should be fine for your height and weight....I'm the same stats as you pretty much.

How do you know you are burning 1000+ calories per workout?

How accurately are you tracking? Do you take "cheat" days? Do you weigh and measure everything?

Also, have you lost 10lbs in the past month? If so, then really that is fantastic progress. You should also consider taking measurements along with your pictures.

Disagree. OP is taller than me, and also weighs about 15lbs more, and I also work out 6 days a week, and my TDEE-20% goal is about 2000 calories a day.

OP, you've done great this month. But, I think you really need to fuel those workouts better.

Go here and do the math: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

And make sure you're doing strength training, too - muscle burns more calories than fat, so even if it slows your weight loss temporarily, it's good to have. If it's important to you to keep track of the numbers, take your measurements, determine your lean body mass, and instead of just weighing in, use measurements and lean body mass calculations to figure out how much fat you're losing vs. how much muscle you're putting on.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    My bad, I should have been clearer.....1800-1900 calories is a good range, not lower. I'm the same height, weight, activity level as OP and TDEE - 20% is right around the 1900 calories mark.

Completely agree with strength training and that portion of your post.

I need to work on putting all of the thoughts in my head into writing!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, if you burn 400 calories per workout and you burn 1000 per day, then it sounds like you're working out at least twice a day if not more. You might be overtraining. Exercise and dieting can both cause increases in cortisol levels. Cortisol increases over a short time are not bad and are considered normally. Typically if you workout in the morning, there is a cortisol spike, and then levels return to normal. If you do very long, intense workouts (and/or multiple workouts a day), then your cortisol levels may stay elevated for long periods of time. This can have detrimental affects on your health including fatigue, headaches, weakened immune system, impaired metabolism, etc.

TL;DR: Working out too much can actually limit weight loss and make you feel like ****.
  • JEmbry515
    Options
    oh wow thanks everyone. I am def going to take what I read and run with it because at the end of the day I do want to be healthy.
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to take the time to say Thank You for your future service to our country. Keep at it and you will reach your goal!
  • JEmbry515
    Options
    Just wanted to take the time to say Thank You for your future service to our country. Keep at it and you will reach your goal!
    :)