On Exercising and Excuses

Options
Those who know me on this site know that I am a huge proponent of exercise at every stage of your fitness journey. To me, diet without exercise may get you to a weight you want, but it certainly won't make you the fit person that you (hopefully) dream of being.

I came across the following quote in a book I'm reading by John Bingham. If you are looking for motivation to start exercising, especially running, I highly recommend anything written by him!

Anyway, the quote is:

"it finally clicked that as flawed, fragile, and out of shape as I had allowed my body to become, it was still the body that I was going to have to use. I couldn't trade it in for a new, improved one. I was going to get where I wanted to be in THIS body, with THESE feet. That's true for you, too. It isn't a matter of getting the body you want, it's a matter of doing the most you can with the body you have."

How often have you made excuses about not why you can't exercise? When I was younger I was the queen of excuses. I was "not built" to be a runner, I was "too heavy" to go the distances that I dreamed of doing. I was "too well endowed" to do high impact exercise because I couldn't find a proper sports bra. And my favourite: I didn't "need to run because walking was just as good for me". (not looking for arguments on this point- I love to walk, but running burns more calories in a much shorter period of time!)

Well guess what? When I stopped making excuses I constantly amazed myself with what my curvy, heavy, not built for running body could do. I finished my first marathon at my highest weight ever, 231 lbs. It wasn't pretty, but I got there!

The truth is that as much as I'd like to be 5'5, compact and able to run a 6 minute mile, that is never going to happen. I will likely never qualify for Boston (well, maybe once I'm in the "senior citizen" category"), I'll also never be a supermodel, a ballet dancer, or an Olympian. What I WILL be, is someone who does not back down from a physical challenge, who constantly looks for new opportunities to exceed previous limits and who reaps the benefits of losing inches and gaining muscle tone while I do it.

It really is about doing the most you can with the body you have. So put aside the excuses and go surprise yourself with what you can do!

Replies

• SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options

It really is about doing the most you can with the body you have. So put aside the excuses and go surprise yourself with what you can do!

Now - Ain't that the truth!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    great quote.

It pains me to hear people complain and come up with all sorts of excuses. You have to make do with what you have.

And time is the most absurd excuse out there- I work a full time job, a part time job and I'm a serious dancer- which means I'm in class 5 hours a week- plus workshops 1-2 x a month and a long distance relationship. I sew my own costumes- I splice my own music for gigs and I work on other peoples costumes.

I still work out 5 days a week. And I still wear holes out in the thighs of my jeans because my thighs touch. Big deal. I out work most of the people in my gym in my 15 minute work outs- followed by 2 hours of dance.

Just do it. Most people amuse me- if they literally spent half the time complaining about it as they did doing it- think of where they would be now.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Well said! I have to say that since I started running, I also started to love my body more and more every day. It's amazing when you think that with effort and patience you have the power to train and transform it the way you want! My body is not perfect and probably I'll never be 100% satisfied with it. However, I can assure you that every time I put my running shoes on, I forget all about it and I start thinking about how lucky I am to have such an healthy, strong body!!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running, actually just started C25K. When I jog/run, I love looking down at my feet (I know, not the best practice for safety purposes). But I love looking down and thinking to myself "wow, look what my legs/feet can do!"
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I love John "The Penguin" Bingham!! I also encourage people to read his books if they need motivation (as well as good tips for starting running)

My favorite quote is probably his most famous: "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

Edit to add: If you're a cash-strapped person, like me, his books are very often in your public library. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't like the whole 'people are making excuses not to exercise', personally. It just pressures people into doing something they are clearly not motivated or ready to do anyway.. so what's the point? Except making yourself feel better and the other person feel worse?

I mean, my excuses might not have seemed valid to you, but they were very valid to me. And one day I was ready. It's not that I stopped making excuses, it's that I was ready. Big difference.

You got to find a way to motivate people that doesn't involve putting them down.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I just started trying to transition from a walker and Zumba addict to a runner and strength trainer because I want my body to be able to do everything. 65 lbs gone with diet and exercise, last 30 or so to go:-) No more excuses to never go, maybe occasionally one for why that particular day is out :-p
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I don't like the whole 'people are making excuses not to exercise', personally. It just pressures people into doing something they are clearly not motivated or ready to do anyway.. so what's the point? Except making yourself feel better and the other person feel worse?

I mean, my excuses might not have seemed valid to you, but they were very valid to me. And one day I was ready. It's not that I stopped making excuses, it's that I was ready. Big difference.

You got to find a way to motivate people that doesn't involve putting them down.

Agree. OP, I'm glad you didn't turn out to not be built for running, and that you enjoy it.

For some people, those early pains are actually indicators of things going wrong, which can have long-standing consequences. With little warning. And which get started well before people figure out they might need help beyond buying a new pair of shoes.

Maybe the reason they didn't 'like' running (or whatever) isn't moral failure, but physical failure they can't actually control.

People should listen to their bodies more, not less.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

of course they seem valid to you- it's an excuse. it's a justification for why you aren't doing something.

and if you don't want to do something- guess what- you'll come up with an excuse not to do it. Don't rationalize your behavior. It is what it is and you are ABSOLUTELY correct people do it when they are ready- but that doesn't negate the fact they are still making excuses.

People who are dedicated and driven to work out- guess what they don't LOVE working out every single day- they are busy and tired too. They want to go home- they want to eat junk food. They just don't make an excuse up for it- they just go do it.

I hate that people who work out all the time think it's easy- or we don't have our weaknesses- we do. We just don't excuse them. That's the difference- we do it ESPECIALLY when we don't want to- not just when it feels good.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Agree. OP, I'm glad you didn't turn out to not be built for running, and that you enjoy it.

For some people, those early pains are actually indicators of things going wrong, which can have long-standing consequences. With little warning. And which get started well before people figure out they might need help beyond buying a new pair of shoes.

Maybe the reason they didn't 'like' running (or whatever) isn't moral failure, but physical failure they can't actually control.

People should listen to their bodies more, not less.

don't think she meant that everybody had to run, just stop making excuses to sit on the couch instead of getting out there and doing something/anything. It is about trying things you never thought you could do and discovering something you love and that motivates you. For me its Zumba and I also am trying to start running, so far I love it. You never know until you get out of your "comfort zone" and stop making excuses why you "can't" and find what you "can"