Its been a long 2 days

Options
SO, I just started my new diet on monday...so this is the end of day 2! I am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts.....by the end of my shift I am exhausted and hungry!! When I got off work I went to a local restraunt/bar with my boyfriend to watch the NBA finals...Go Celtics! My usual is to have some beers and eat some chicken wings.....and what did I do..... drank beers and ate chicken wings!! I feel like a ruined the whole day of resisting temptations!! Like i made sacrifices all day to ruin it at the end!!! I went over my calories for the day by 600!!!!! I feel like I have tried a million diets and i lose..then i gain...then i lose.....i feel like i am spinning my wheels!!! How do I go out with my friends and boyfriend when everyone is eating and drinking and fight the urge?? I am desperate to lose 50 pounds....and want it sooo bad.....but I always seem to make bad decisions when I go out!! Any tips?????? ahhhhhhh :(

Replies

• roromclarty
    Options
    SO, I just started my new diet on monday...so this is the end of day 2! I am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts.....by the end of my shift I am exhausted and hungry!! When I got off work I went to a local restraunt/bar with my boyfriend to watch the NBA finals...Go Celtics! My usual is to have some beers and eat some chicken wings.....and what did I do..... drank beers and ate chicken wings!! I feel like a ruined the whole day of resisting temptations!! Like i made sacrifices all day to ruin it at the end!!! I went over my calories for the day by 600!!!!! I feel like I have tried a million diets and i lose..then i gain...then i lose.....i feel like i am spinning my wheels!!! How do I go out with my friends and boyfriend when everyone is eating and drinking and fight the urge?? I am desperate to lose 50 pounds....and want it sooo bad.....but I always seem to make bad decisions when I go out!! Any tips?????? ahhhhhhh :(
  • kimmy666
    kimmy666 Posts: 56
    Options
    don't bash yourself up

just start again today and perhaps try to avoid the pub next time

i know that difficult, i only started diet on monday but already starting to dread friday when i normally would happily drink a bottle of wine or 2 :cry:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    one - if you are a food addict you have to remove yourself from the situations that tempt you until you can control yourself. If it is really what you want, why put yourself in a sit where you know you usually eat wings and drink beers?

Also, try clubsoda with lemon rather than beer and keep the wings Or lite beer no wings? It is about choice and you have the POWER to control your decisions.

You CAN do this.
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    one - if you are a food addict you have to remove yourself from the situations that tempt you until you can control yourself. If it is really what you want, why put yourself in a sit where you know you usually eat wings and drink beers?

Also, try clubsoda with lemon rather than beer and keep the wings Or lite beer no wings? It is about choice and you have the POWER to control your decisions.

You CAN do this.

I couldn't have said it better. clapping.gif
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    a fabulous anecdote to keep in mind: Obstacles are there not to block our way but to show us how badly we really want something.

And it's true - don't beat yourself up! Just start fresh in the morning. You should also take a look at what and how often you're eating as that has a HUGE bearing on your hunger levels as well as your weight loss and is as important as the actual calories. You should never feel stuffed and never feel really hungry. That way you keep your blood sugars in check and your whole system works better.

Best of luck for a fresh start tomorrow!! :)
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It might be wise to avoid those situations just for a while. When I quit smoking, I avoided any possible situation where I might smoke (bars, BBQs, etc.). You don't have to do that forever, just until you think you have it under control. Then, when you think you can handle it, you can go out, get something a little more healthy, and still enjoy the company.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

You had to go watch the game. Just know you were watching history and start again today. Choices next time. Say that three times. Or more if you have to.
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    Have you tried a low carbohydrate plan? That's what worked for me after years and years of trying every plan that crossed my path. And there's lite beers that have few carbs... alcohol has none.. I often have a mixed drink with diet coke.

Maybe it's something to just check into.

Good Luck!!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    roromclarty,
    I am a nursing student and I work 12 hour shifts too. I know the feeling. I have nights where I come home and am so tired that all I want (and usually do) is going to bed and sleep. It depends a lot on how busy that night was. I am sure you have shifts where you do nothing but running all night and putting fires out everywhere, and others are more quiet. As I loose weight and do more exercise this gets better. Recently I actually had the willpower sometimes to go to the gym or out on the bike after a 12.

As to going out with friends, I too would suggest that you stay away from that until you feel more ... well stronger in terms of resisting temptations. Doesn't have to be long. Might be only a few weeks. Give it some time to make your own experiences. Talk with your boyfriend, I am sure he will understand. He might help you to.

This is only your second day. It WILL be difficult many times, but as you can see reading all the success stories it CAN be done.

Last but not least, this is not really about counting your calories and exercise. The reason why all of us here got where we are in terms of weight is the wrong lifestyle. ( (OK maybe most). That is not going to change over night. Took me years, and I still fall back sometimes into bad habits. If you like watching a game, drinking beer and eating wings you will have to find a solution on the long run that allows you to have fun with your friends and not add all the calories.

So give it some time, expect setbacks and keep going:smile:
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I believe everything in moderation is fine, you don't want to give up your life and the things you enjoy!!! Maybe try a lite beer (Michelob Ultra has 95 cals) and instead of the wings order another app. that is a little better on the calories!!! I would still have "a" wing or two, but limit to that......you will start to feel so good about yourself for making these decisions, and start losing!! Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i have to agree with carajo-- a couple wings with some celery or a big green salad and 1 or two lite beers--dont sacrafice the things you love just eat in moderation and add something super healthy to it.

you will be so proud of yourself for watching what you eat while others pig out.

just a quick addition--i have lost 40lbs since sept 07 and i have not given up the things i love and if i do slip up one day hey its one day i deserve it and i get right back on track the next day.

:flowerforyou: never give up on yourself!! :flowerforyou: