Calves problems?

Options
I am really obsessed with my calves, I am sometimes scared to exercise and try different things that I would like to, because I am scared my calves are gonna get to big and not look sexy for a girl. I even avoid to walk up the stairs just because I know they get big like that. Because last year I used to go to the gym and I had a mini stepper at home, which I did like everyday for an hour. and I didn't think about my calves until my mom pointed them out to me, and said its gonna look ugly in a dress and stuff and that they are getting to big and muscular..
I dont know what to do ? any suggestions?

Replies

• fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Embrace the big muscular calves. :flowerforyou:
    If they are muscular, then they aren't fatty and flabby.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like its your calves that are the problem...
  • JennieKillough
    JennieKillough Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Men already think what they are going to think about your calves. They are no different than women. We all see the same things through different eyes.

You were born with those calves.

If your calves are ugly, the guy who loves you is going to love you for something else. He'll think the calves are "cute" and on a bad day, he'll think they are ugly. No lie.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like its your calves that are the problem...
    Exactly!!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i wish a couple of flights of stairs would make my calves big.
  • JennieKillough
    JennieKillough Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wish I could subtract an inch off my thighs and put them onto my calves.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    WOW , THAT IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY!!!! ( eyes are rolling)
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that. As you lose weight, your fat percentage will decrease and this will make you look more toned, more defined. Your calves will be muscular, but defined. And that's really sexy, believe me.
    Your mother's comments are toxic, do not listen to that kind of stuff. You can choose to put whatever you want in your head, and the way it will impact your lifestyle.
  • iilovenikee
    Options
    hmm, thanks guys for your replying. I posted the post and waited and waited and got nothing that I forgot about it :(
    but I am gonna try my best not to think about it and just exercise how I want. :)
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You don't have to worry about growing muscular calves from walking or jumping. The achilles tendon is what's activated when doing those things.

The only way to grow the calves is to train them with weighted resistance. If you're not doing that, then you're going to be fine. If you have time, this is a really good article about training the calves.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves.html

For you, I would say just do the opposite and you'll be fine. lol
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with you because I've always hated that I have thick ankles. Cankles. It took a long time for me to accept the fact, though diet and exercise can help, you can't change genetics. Unless you have surgery or something drastic.

What helps me is to focus on the parts of my body that I do like. I have a pretty neckline, slim wrists, nice skin. I like to wear jewelry and clothing that focuses the attention to the top part of my body.

Rest assured, you are not alone. Many of us don't like our hips, butts, thighs, waist ....or whatever. Do the best you can, focus on the good, and keep going. :smile:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I am really obsessed with my calves, I am sometimes scared to exercise and try different things that I would like to, because I am scared my calves are gonna get to big and not look sexy for a girl.

I dont know what to do ? any suggestions?

There is a lady around here who has like 18.5" calves. IMO, they look very sexy.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get big calves from walking up stair. As ChrisLindsay9 says, the only way to grow big calves, or any other muscle for that matter is through heavy resistance training. In simple terms, heavy weight lifting. As long you're not doing that you have nothing to worry about.