Help with eating out!!

Options
I need help!! I just started about two weeks ago with my weight loss adventure. I lost 5 pounds and I am happy with that. My husband and I do so well eating and exercising at home, but when we travel we don't do so well. We usually travel every weekend to see family and some vacation trips. I am hoping some of you can give me suggestions on some good restaurants and fast food places to eat as well as what to eat there. Unfortunately, I know that it is better to prepare and make your own food. But, sometimes life with a toddler, lack of sleep, traveling, and an overworked husband we don't always have that option. What do you get to eat when you go out?? Thanks in advanced!!

Replies

• chelseap891
    Options
    I would try googling calories, etc in different foods at different restaurants...because you may think "oh, I'm getting a salad, it'll be fine" but what you don't know, is all the crazy, out there dumb ingredients they use that aren't necessary that make those calories go way up. And the grams of fat, too....for example, zaxby's salads...terrible!

You could always get a side of a veggie...like green beans. Or plain side salad with low fat dressing, and grilled chicken...pick off the skin!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I print out and keep a binder of the nutrition guides to every popular fast food place and restaurant in my car. When we are out driving around (with my toddler too!) I have instant access to what I can eat, and what are the best choices. And in a pinch i always try to at least find an applebees or chili's, because they both have a lot of selections on their menu that they mark as under 500 calories. hope this helps!
  • pepprmntkel
    Options
    This is a great question! I don't really have much to offer, but salads with the dressing on the side is always a good option. A vinaigrette is probably the best. 3 oz of chicken is only 60 calories and great protein. I go to golden spoon a lot which is my favorite treat and a mini is only 100 calories and it's plenty frozen yogurt. I think the best thing to do is to figure out the calories for where you go most often and know what the best choice there is. Hope this helps a bit. :)
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, try the MFP free App. I use this site and type in the restaurant name and choose my meal before I even meet the server. And it is a great way to pass time if you have waiting time before they seat you.
  • nd4sxs
    nd4sxs Posts: 5
    Options
    I too Google the fast food restaurants that I will be passing on a road trip. As a mother of 4 young kids, I find that there are times when stopping is inevitable and knowing their nutritional value really helps me figure out what I can eat and what I need to stay away from... you may be surprised at what is hidden in harmless looking food.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Definitely look online. A LOT of places have their info up now, after the California law forced them to! And even they don't, ALWAYS ask when you are in the restaurant. You might get funny looks, it might take a while, but chances are, they'll find it and bring it to you. I do this all the time. Not only that, but I think that the more people are asking, those places that DON'T have it are going to feel like maybe they should if they keep hearing it over and over again!

I really like the idea of printing everything out and keeping it with you in the car at all times. If you are in the car a lot and stop at chain restaurants a lot, that would be incredibly helpful.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I print out and keep a binder of the nutrition guides to every popular fast food place and restaurant in my car. When we are out driving around (with my toddler too!) I have instant access to what I can eat, and what are the best choices. And in a pinch i always try to at least find an applebees or chili's, because they both have a lot of selections on their menu that they mark as under 500 calories. hope this helps!

What a GREAT idea!
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!! But, how do you all deal with the temptation of not ordering that cheeseburger and fries?? McDonald's is unfortunately my weakness!
  • tissyazd
    Options

WONDERFUL IDEA!! Thank you!!
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I usually find out where we are eating ahead of time and then look up the menu/nutrition and try to figure out what I will have ahead of time, but printing them out and keeping a binder in the car is a great idea for those times when I'm not near a computer or don't have time to look them up in advance.
  • tissyazd
    Options
    I would try googling calories, etc in different foods at different restaurants...because you may think "oh, I'm getting a salad, it'll be fine" but what you don't know, is all the crazy, out there dumb ingredients they use that aren't necessary that make those calories go way up. And the grams of fat, too....for example, zaxby's salads...terrible!

You could always get a side of a veggie...like green beans. Or plain side salad with low fat dressing, and grilled chicken...pick off the skin!

Thanks for the advice! BTW, you look great! You remind me of how I looked in college! You are very smart to take control and not lose control now, before you end up like me! I remember thinking I looked good and could eat whatever I wanted and not exercise. Then the lack of exercise and bad food got the best of me. Thanks for the inspiration today! I am hoping to get back to my college weight ASAP!!
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!! But, how do you all deal with the temptation of not ordering that cheeseburger and fries?? McDonald's is unfortunately my weakness!

Sorry, I don't really have any secret for this one, it just takes willpower. However, I find that when I'm eating healthy I usually lose the cravings for fast food.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i have checked most of my favs online before we eat. I also love mcdonald's cheeseburgers!! They aren't too terrible in small portions - a regular cheeseburger is only 300 cals, then I get a small fry (230 cals) & split it with my daughter (also a toddler -3yo) I have a water to drink, not a bad fast food dinner for 415 cals! Its enough to give me the mickey ds fix, b/c I feel like a matyr if I try to get a salad when my husband & daughter are eating the good "bad" food Love the binder idea!:bigsmile:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Some general tips:
    Plain is better -- sauces, cheese, etc. add extra calories
    The phrase "on the side" is your friend. :) If you get a dressing or condiment on the side, you can determine how much to use.
    Drink water... if you must have a drink then get unsweet tea (or at fast food, Minute Maid Lite is a good option!)
    At most sit-down restaurants, 1/2 of what is served is probably what you need to eat! I shared with my 4 year old until about a year ago and we STILL had leftovers.
    Lean meat is always a good choice -- fish, chicken, ribeye if you want steak (saying because I got this today and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected!)
    Asparagus and broccoli are both fairly common sides with low calories that are good for you. I like Chili's black beans too... they are higher in calories but still decent.

Things I like at certain restaurants (mostly fast food because that is mostly where we end up eating out!). Watch out for sodium!

Taco Bell -- Fresco Bean Burrito, Fresco Hard Shell Taco
    McDonalds -- Kids 6 piece chicken nugget meal with apple dippers/milk, fruit & walnut salad, for breakfast I get a fruit & yogurt parfait or an Egg McMuffin
    Chick Fil A -- one of my favorites! I usually get a 3 piece chicken strip meal with fruit and diet lemonade... other healthy choices are their salads and grilled chicken. Their chicken noodle soup is really good too. Lots of info on their website.

I think the biggest changes I have made dining out are drinking water (which also helps with the sodium) and not feeling like I always have to eat bread. Fortunately for me, we don't eat out THAT often so I can usually balance the rest of the day or week out with having eaten out.

You also mentioned visiting family... I know that when I visit family we often eat IN but since I'm not preparing the food I don't have much say! My only experience with this this time around is visiting my mom over Memorial Day weekend. You can look at my food diary (which is public, check it out if you want to) and tell it wasn't great but it was better than it would have been before. I tried to stick to items I knew fit into my "diet"... like eggs for breakfast. Besides that I just tried to make the most of whatever I was offered. I was glad to find salad at the Memorial Day cookout, but I ate a hamburger too.

Hope that helps a little.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to places that have their nutritional information posted online. When in doubt, applebee's and chili's are great franchised restaurants to go to. They both have low fat/low cal menu items. As for restaurants that don't have nutrition values posted, I try to stick to fish, chicken, and veggies. Don't be afraid to ask them not to cook your meal with too much butter or oil. Also, I say stay away from salads unless you plan on bringing your own dressing or not having any dressing at all. If you want a salad, try asking for light dressing (chances are that any restaurant will have some kind of light dressing available). But, remember, not all light dressing are very.... light, lol. :)

Then there's buffets. Stay away from them. :sick: Well... At least until you learn portion control. The only buffets I can go to are chinese ones, because I'm perfectly content with having a plate of sushi and a cup of miso soup. :)
  • itslovelly
    Options
    I travel a LOT with work so I know exactly how you feel. I often don't have time for anything but fast food when i'm racing for the airport or trying to find my hotel.

What I have been trying to do is order what I want, and then only eat half of it. When I go to sit down restaraunts, I split my plate in half before I start eating and only eat the half portion. then to resist eating the rest of what is on my plate, I'll dump some water or soda or salt on it and stir it all up so it's no longer appetizing.

My personal trainer has also suggested getting a "to go" box and putting half of the food in it before I start eating.

With fast food it's a little more tricky, but I'd say to try to have the cheeseburger OR the fries. One cheeseburger is not going to kill you.

My trainer has told me to try to avoid the deep fried foods, unfortunately the fries would probably be the best to resist. OR maybe start out by getting a small instead of a large fry.

I'm not always perfect at this, but I'm learing that every LITTLE step in the right direction is still leading me towards my goal. So far I've lost 8 pounds since I started mfp and i haven't been counting calories. I've just been cutting down the huge portions that the restaraunts in our society dish out to us.

Good luck. I know eating out is a BIG challenge!!
  • funkyspunky871
    Options

I think you'd be surprised that you can actually eat at Mcdoald's and still be under your calorie and fat goal. No, you shouldn't order a big mac and large fries, but a regular cheese burger has only 12 grams of fat and a small fry has about 11. That's not too bad if you keep it low fat the rest of your day. Everything in moderation. :) Maybe decide between french fries or a cheeseburger. Have a cheese burger, but get apple slices as your side. Have french fries and get a grilled chicken (without the mayo) sandwich as your entree.
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    What I have been trying to do is order what I want, and then only eat half of it. When I go to sit down restaraunts, I split my plate in half before I start eating and only eat the half portion. then to resist eating the rest of what is on my plate, I'll dump some water or soda or salt on it and stir it all up so it's no longer appetizing.

Haha, that's great! I do that to my family's leftovers when they're done. :) I shove a dirty napkin in their plates so I'm not tempted to pick at their leftover french fries. LOL!
  • tissyazd
    Options
    Some general tips...

Hope that helps a little.

Thank you so much for the awesome reply!!
  • tissyazd
    Options

I think you'd be surprised that you can actually eat at Mcdoald's and still be under your calorie and fat goal. No, you shouldn't order a big mac and large fries, but a regular cheese burger has only 12 grams of fat and a small fry has about 11. That's not too bad if you keep it low fat the rest of your day. Everything in moderation. :) Maybe decide between french fries or a cheeseburger. Have a cheese burger, but get apple slices as your side. Have french fries and get a grilled chicken (without the mayo) sandwich as your entree.

That is exactly what I need to do, thank yoU!