11 Months and I'm STILL Confused about Calories

Options
Ahoy! Ok, so I've been on MFP for about 11 months now and I'm still not clear about the whole calories thing. I'm a heavy hitter, I weigh 295, down from 327 and I'm 5'7". I've got my counter set at 1lb per week and I eat about 1800-2200 calories a day with the 80/20 appoach, on average which seems like what a lot of people that weigh, much, much less than me eat. Some weeks I get all my workouts in and some weeks I don't. But even still, one would think that at my weight, I'd be able to lose AT LEAST 1lb a week, if not more fairly easily by maintaining a 2,000 calorie diet. Yet, this is not so. I'm averaging just under a pound a week. If I try to cut much below that for any period of time, I end up starving and then binging and that defeats the whole purpose and I break even. If anyone knowledgeable could lay out a guideline for me, and perhaps offer some solutions, that would be great.

Replies

• hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    How much do you work out? What is the intensity level of your workouts? Do you do weight lifting? Etc etc
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I for sure want to watch this thread because I am in a similar boat. I have found that whether I eat 1200 or 2000 calories a day (at 290 lbs), I won't lose a pound if I don't get a lot of exercise in. I have only made significant progress when I cut calories quite a bit. I think the binge triggers would be easier to fight if I were seeing consistent progress, though.
  • tammyvarley77
    tammyvarley77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • feelthelove1964
    feelthelove1964 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i have only been doing mfp for 3 weeks, i lost 10 lb, i exercise for 3 hours a day i just do basic dancing to music i enjoy, i also try and get a 40 minute walk each day . I eat 1600 calories a day but i include a lot of carbs in my diet as it keeps me fueled up , so i am wondering if it is because you r not getting enough carbs and this is why feel hungry and binge eat . I have also got a reason to lose the weight which motivates me into exercise and stick to it , hubby is taking me to disney in florida next year so i focus on that and also if i feel hungry i do something else to take my mind off it. I used to get hungry everyday around 3 in the afternoon , but now i find that has passed and its all down to the routine i was in and instead of the food cravings controlling me i am controlling it . Not sue if this helps but i though i would add my progress .
    good luck .

p.s i don't weigh any of my food i guess at portions and it seems to be working and i wonder if this is because i don't feel deprived by having to weigh all my food , just a though :)
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you've set MFP to 1lb a week and are essentially losing 1lb a week (give or take), then it IS working. I know that we all want to lose weight more quickly (I do!!), but it is much more likely that you will keep it off this way.

If you change MFP to 2lb a week, and stick to that, you will lose more, but if you're less likely to stick to it because you are hungry, then maybe not such a good idea.

For me, as with a couple of your other replies, exercise really is the key; those weeks where I hit my targets I'm much more likely to lose. I do make sure that I have enough 'fuel' in the form of carbs, protein to keep me full, and lots of fruit and veg to fill me up.

(I don't actually know what the 80/20 thing is, I just try to keep to the guidelines that MFP sets).
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Well, I've lost 32 lbs in 49 weeks, which is only about .65 lb/week. However, there were times when I jumped off the wagon for a time. Maybe you are right. I will shut up now.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    32lbs is a great loss, and you have kept it off :smile:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Ahoy! Ok, so I've been on MFP for about 11 months now and I'm still not clear about the whole calories thing. I'm a heavy hitter, I weigh 295, down from 327 and I'm 5'7". I've got my counter set at 1lb per week and I eat about 1800-2200 calories a day with the 80/20 appoach, on average which seems like what a lot of people that weigh, much, much less than me eat. Some weeks I get all my workouts in and some weeks I don't. But even still, one would think that at my weight, I'd be able to lose AT LEAST 1lb a week, if not more fairly easily by maintaining a 2,000 calorie diet. Yet, this is not so. I'm averaging just under a pound a week. If I try to cut much below that for any period of time, I end up starving and then binging and that defeats the whole purpose and I break even. If anyone knowledgeable could lay out a guideline for me, and perhaps offer some solutions, that would be great.

increase your deficit. i think your BMR/TDEE calculations are incorrect. i also think you may have logging accuracy issues with your food and exercise.

assuming you are in normal health, you should be able to lose at 1.5lbs/week or 2lbs/week without a problem for the next few months.

i calculate a TDEE of 2540 for you without exercise. try sticking with 1800 calories (not going over) in order to lose at 1.5lbs/week and make sure to eat back most or all of your exercise calories. if you can, doublecheck your exercise calorie calculations to make sure you are not overestimating them.

to help you stay at a lower calorie level, increase your protein and reduce your trigger foods. for me, breads and pastas trigger me to eat more because i get hungry again soon after eating them, so i reduce the amount of those foods i eat to help me keep my calories down.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Every person is different as far as to what they feel comfortable with. Some people can fast for months on end and lose all their weight very quickly which is not recommended. There are others who lose 1/2 pound per week and are happy with losing that way. You have been losing close to 1 pound per week which is actually what mfp recommends as a safe sustainable weight loss. So you have been doing an excellent job of losing weight. Lower calories will help you to lose more weight but if you starve and binge then yes it does defeat the whole purpose of cutting the calories in the first place. Slow and steady is much better than quick and quit. Keep up the good work that you have already started. Don't stop doing whatever it is that has been working for you.
  • sugarandspice27
    Options
    Actually, after having just exhausted my research options, I calculated my TDEE based on my body fat percentage ( I have a fairly high lean body mass, always have), which is the most accurate way to calculate. I came up with the figure 2200 calories as a 20% cut. This is the Eat More to Weigh Less theory and I subscribe to it. At any rate, there is an excellent thread going on right now about TDEE and BMR and it helped me greatly. I'm sorry, I'm not going to go with the advice to lower and I'm going to bump up a little bit and see if I can't get things moving.
  • burbunya
    burbunya Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Today was not a particularly good day for me (eating wise) but only because I was feeling unwell. I exercise when I can, most times 1/2 walking everyday.

I don't exercise strenuously as I am looking at it not from a "need to get the weight off" angle but more from a point of view of a life style change. I am trying to implement a minimum of 1/2 walking everyday as something I can do for the rest of my life.

As for the calorie counting it is also a lifestyle change by means of teaching me to choose what I eat more wisely. I now incorporate large amounts of vegetables/fruits and lean meats and have reduced my carbohydrate intake by reducing processed and/or refined foods such as breads, pasta, rice etc.

All I know is that at Christmas I weighed 101.5kg and now I weigh 92.9 which means that I have lost 8.5kg/19lbs thereabouts.

So I guess it's working and I am not hungry nor am I spending all my time exercising :D

Cals 1200 per day or less
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Actually, after having just exhausted my research options, I calculated my TDEE based on my body fat percentage ( I have a fairly high lean body mass, always have), which is the most accurate way to calculate. I came up with the figure 2200 calories as a 20% cut. This is the Eat More to Weigh Less theory and I subscribe to it. At any rate, there is an excellent thread going on right now about TDEE and BMR and it helped me greatly. I'm sorry, I'm not going to go with the advice to lower and I'm going to bump up a little bit and see if I can't get things moving.

i think you're misunderstanding the Eat More to Lose More philosophy. if you are already eating at ~2000 calories, you are well above the range which would cause you to stall by eating too few calories. your results tell me that your numbers are wrong, but if you want to increase your calories, that's your choice.

you will always lose weight staying below TDEE, but i think your new deficit may be slow you down even more. in the 11 months it took you to lose 32lbs, i've lost roughly 75lbs... but what would i know about anything??? :huh:

in a couple of months, if you are frustrated that your loss has slowed, check out the Eat, Train, Progress group where you can find much better information and assistance than you can on the public forums here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Well, I've lost 32 lbs in 49 weeks, which is only about .65 lb/week. However, there were times when I jumped off the wagon for a time. Maybe you are right. I will shut up now.

I'd say you have one of the two main ingredients for weight loss, kcalorie deficit, and now you just need to work on the other, patience. Hang in there, the scale is moving in the right direction. Are your measurements changing for the better?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if there is too much point posting this as it appears that you have decided to go the eat more route, but in case you do:

Is your current intake of 2.000 gross or net?

How accurately do you log your food? Do you log 'cheat meal/days'? Do you weigh all non-liquid foods and weigh/measure liquid? Do you log all condiments?

What are your current macros in grams?

Do you have a thyroid issue or PCOS?
  • sugarandspice27
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! I also lost about 80 pounds in the same time frame (pics in my profile) from a drastic cut and guess what? Gained it back, my dear. Not going to make the same mistakes twice, I'll tell you that much. My understanding of EMTWL is: Do not eat under your BMR. Take your TDEE and cut it 20% to get an appropriate amount of calories. There is no possible way you could accurately assess my TDEE without taking into account my body fat percentage, which I did not disclose. I'm happy what you're doing is working for you but that's not to say what works for one will work for another.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Online calculators are an estimate using samples of a population as their input. If you have any different factors than that population does, including any metabolic issues and also including any difference in the activity level assumptions, it will not the same as your TDEE and could be quite a bit different. The best gauge of your TDEE is your actual results.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! I also lost about 80 pounds in the same time frame (pics in my profile) from a drastic cut and guess what? Gained it back, my dear. Not going to make the same mistakes twice, I'll tell you that much. My understanding of EMTWL is: Do not eat under your BMR. Take your TDEE and cut it 20% to get an appropriate amount of calories. There is no possible way you could accurately assess my TDEE without taking into account my body fat percentage, which I did not disclose. I'm happy what you're doing is working for you but that's not to say what works for one will work for another.

my BMR number for you wasn't far from the one you came up with (only about a 7% difference). good luck to you and don't forget my advice about the Eat, Train, Progress group. there are very patient and knowledgeable people in there who are helping a lot of people who are having trouble setting their macros or suffering on long plateaus.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

How accurately do you log your food? Do you log 'cheat meal/days'? Do you weigh all non-liquid foods and weigh/measure liquid? Do you log all condiments?

This is what I was going to ask as well.