New to MFP and calorie counting. Have a few ?'s :)

Options
Hi all,

I am new to this site and to calorie counting. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer. Thanks in advance!

I am 5'7 and 130 lbs. I have had three kids in the past 6 years. I have ALWAYS got right back down to my pre-pregnancy weight by 6 months post delivery. My youngest is 3 yrs old. I got down to 125 (my normal weight) just fine. My question is that in the past 6 months, I have put on 5 lbs. I am at my wits end trying to lose them. It's not that much, I know but it is to me. Anyway, MFP has me at 1200 calories. I don't work out per say but I am taking care of the house and 3 kiddos all day. I have been on the calorie count thing for 7 days now. I am finding that I am very hungry. I have been staying below and very close to 1200 cals but I am starving! Does this mean I need to up my calories? Is it just my body starting to retrain itself? I never counted calories before and I am a very healthy eater. I would say before I started counting that I was eating around 1600-1700 cals a day. I have not lost an ounce this week but I have read that it takes time to start losing. What is the average? If I do need to up my cals, how much should I add?

Replies

• jk1231
    jk1231 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Anyone?? Thanks in advance.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You should be eating atleast 1500 calories for someone who is 5'7"...probably even more because you have very little to lose.

I would also worry a little less about the number on the scale and more about how your clothes fit, or how you look in the mirror.

I am happier weighing more than I used to and my clothes still fit the same, if not better than they used to when I weighed 8 pounds less.

MFP is very stingy with the calories and it isn't a one size fits all setting.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am new to this site and to calorie counting. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer. Thanks in advance!

I am 5'7 and 130 lbs. I have had three kids in the past 6 years. I have ALWAYS got right back down to my pre-pregnancy weight by 6 months post delivery. My youngest is 3 yrs old. I got down to 125 (my normal weight) just fine. My question is that in the past 6 months, I have put on 5 lbs. I am at my wits end trying to lose them. It's not that much, I know but it is to me. Anyway, MFP has me at 1200 calories. I don't work out per say but I am taking care of the house and 3 kiddos all day. I have been on the calorie count thing for 7 days now. I am finding that I am very hungry. I have been staying below and very close to 1200 cals but I am starving! Does this mean I need to up my calories? Is it just my body starting to retrain itself? I never counted calories before and I am a very healthy eater. I would say before I started counting that I was eating around 1600-1700 cals a day. I have not lost an ounce this week but I have read that it takes time to start losing. What is the average? If I do need to up my cals, how much should I add?

you only have a little to lose, so set yourself as light active (chasing the kids all day) and to lose 1/2lb per week.

add some exercise where you can - walking is good with the kids, and look into some bodyweight/strenght training you can do as you need to 'tone' i would imagine more than lose actual weight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking measurements and photos? How are clothes fitting? Because I gained 10 pounds from my low weight and I'm in the exact same size, so I don't give a rat's hairy bottom. :wink:

Our bodies change over time. Our weight isn't static. What was an appropriate weight for you in your 20s might no longer be an appropriate weight for you in your 30s.

And there's no need to starve yourself, either.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/886672-1-5-million-calories-in-775-days
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi all,

as others have pointed out mfp is pretty low on the calories. But this is a business keep that in mind they want people losing weight fast and spreading the word. They always seem very low on the calories.

The first premise to keep in mind that will not change is calories determine weight loss or weight gain regardless of what foods you eat. So keeping track of your calories is important but honestly my wife is in your shoes and would lose her mind keeping track of every calorie to a "T". I find for people like you keeping general track of your calories and in the 1400 range it often comes off. It seems like there are infinite women with the "I weigh 130 but need to get to 125" thought process.

Also as someone else said I don't know if I'd get so caught up in weight. how do you look? You may lose 5 pounds and say "huh I don't look like I thought I would". My wife started doing basic at home strength training 20 minute workouts 4 days a week and focused on her diet composition and her body composition changed drasticially.

I put her on....

1500 calories
    80 grams of protein (320 calories)
    45 grams of fat (405 calories)
    the rest was filled in with carbs or more fat or more protein

Also when you have so few calories....use them wisely! I work with a lady who got two sausage burritos thinking they are pretty small and she is on a 1600 calorie diet. Well...those to burritos have 700 total calories and are not very filling. For 700 calories she could have eaten 6 whole eggs, greek yogurt, 8 ounces coconut milk, and medium apple. She would have been full for a week and got a whole lot more when it comes to micro-nutrients.
  • jk1231
    Options
    Thanks! I did turn 30 this year. I will keep that in mind. I upped my calories to 1400 yesterday. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
  • jk1231
    Options
    I upped my cals to 1400 and have lost almost 3 lbs so far! I think some was water weight from my lady friend but its progress!!! 4 more to go!