Question for Runners/Joggers out there

Options
LH2011
LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
After walking everyday for the last year and a half and being very fit at that I decided to started to jog in January building up slowly in 5 and 10 minutes intervals until were I am now running 1km in 6.5mins for about 40mins and I run everyday but Sunday.

Here is my question at one stage about 4 weeks ago I felt when I went out I could run forever legs felt great breathing good very comfortable but in the last 2 weeks I am still doing the 40 mins but really have to push the whole time legs are not sore but feel tired and slow and if I don't concentrate will get out of breath quickly so not nearly as enjoyable!!!

I am wonder is everyday to much why do I feel this sudden leg tiredness has everyone gone through this before any suggestions would be great.

For me running is to maintain my weight not lose anymore.

Thanks

Replies

• Bufite
    Bufite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    your legs might just not have caught up with your aerobic fitness yet. it takes a while. maybe cut down the distance of one or two runs every week and build slowly. It might be helpful as well to do some weights, or some other cross training like cycling that will build your leg muscles.

You will get there, keep going!
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider adding more rest days to see if that works for you, if you would still like to do cardio everyday you could always switch it up to biking, rowing, and using the elliptical, but honestly many people run everyday and elite athletes usually run up to twice a day. you might want to try the opposite were you increase your intensity for 2-3 runs a week - try increasing your speed in interval training or running hills. For me personally days were I feel the type of sluggishness you describe are days after I have drank alcohol the night before, when I've eaten too much or too fattening of foods and when I haven't eaten enough or when I havn't recieved enough sleep. I hope that helps!
  • MakingChangesToday
    Options
    I am interested to see what comes up here.
    Battling with a similar problem. Beginning of last year I built up to run 10kms in one hour. I then had to take a long break due to surgery in August and struggling since then. Even half an hour at the speed of 9 km per hour feels super hard.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys the run I do is on country lanes so I have lots of hills going to try doing 30 mins Monday, Wednesday, Friday and the 40mins Tuesday and Thursday and see how that goes and maybe take the weekends off??
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    try mixing your running up a little?

do some shorter 20 minute faster sessions and then some longer slow ones too

you can also do some quad/hamstring training so - lunges, squats etc with dumbbells to build up muscular strength

do you stretch after running to reduce lactic acid onset?

perhaps you are just tired/run-down also so maybe try a small energy snack before hand :)