kettlebell addition

Options
Hi all I have already read the posts about how to add excercises and such but I am having problems. I tried adding Kettlebell workout to my excercises, but it still wont show up. I go to quick tools to just add the calories burned but it doesn't give me the option. I also can not find anything in the database. PLease tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thank You in advance:smile:

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I don't use kettlebells, so this is a bump in case someone here does and has a good way of logging it.

I would probably just log it under "Strength Training (weight lifting, weight training)" or maybe go half Strength Training and the other half "Calisthenics (vigorous)"?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it is under Cardio as Kettlebell
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I googled calories burned per
    workout and looked up what the avg was on livestrong and manually entered it under cardio. I do the Michelle Khai Kettlenetics one and that one burns around 950 calories for a 55 min workout and that is with a 4lb kettlebell but the whole workout has that with aerobic type excercise. But when I do the 18lb kettlebell one for 15 minutes then I log that as 300 calories burned. But I have logged it under cardio cuz its easier to add on this site that way.
  • bleis71
    bleis71 Posts: 22
    Options
    The issue was the web site was not allowing me to add it, but I found a way to do it later last night.

Most websites I have found said that it burns usually 20 cal/minute (20 minute = 400) and I believe it now. It was the first workout and my heart was bangin in my chest, and sweat poring down my face which is easy to do when your 280 lbs LOL.

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it
  • sandiebell
    sandiebell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did my first ever Kettlebell class this morning and had the same problem trying to log mine.

My class was for 45 mins and I used a 5kg weight. It was non stop and I was breathless & sweaty. I am 5.3 and weigh 146lbs.

I logged mine under cardio and calculated my calories burnt at 7cals per minute. (315) just to be on the safe side.
  • bleis71
    bleis71 Posts: 22
    Options
    Sandie, everything I have found shows Kettlebell to be about 20 cal/hr.

It definitely works muscle and cardio at once. I hope you enjoy it. I am trying to create my own workout that burns fat and works mostly on core. So I am looking at a variety of work outs and picking and choosing the moves I want to incorporate into my work out at home. Let me know if you find any really good ones.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i just did my first beginner excersice and it was just a 10 minute video with basics and using my polar hrm, i burned 114 calories in 10 minutes using a 35lb bell, i am 311lbs though. i would have no clue if i didnt have my HRM how many calories i burned. would be great if it was actually in the strength or cardio to add.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I tend to log my kettlercise class as circuit training:smile:
  • Sobus76
    Options
    i just put it in under cardio. be nice if you could add calorie burn under strength training.
  • CharlieSmurfetteFarley
    Options
    That's because a kettlebell is a piece of equipment and not an exercise, so calorie burn depends entirely on what you are doing with it. It would be like putting "barbell" or "medicine ball" into the database.
  • Sobus76
    Options
    That's because a kettlebell is a piece of equipment and not an exercise, so calorie burn depends entirely on what you are doing with it. It would be like putting "barbell" or "medicine ball" into the database.

Really? didnt realize it was a piece of equipment... so you mean it's not like having elliptical or treadmill in the database? because those are just equipment, not an exercise, it depends on what you do on them..
  • CharlieSmurfetteFarley
    Options
    On a treadmill or elliptical/cross trainer you are still generally performing the same movements, and it is the intensity that varies and so you can give a more reliable calorie burn estimate based upon the speed at which you are moving. A kettlebell is much more versatile; an upright row is not going to burn as much as whole body movements such as clean and press, snatch, get ups etc, and then there is the weight of the kettlebell to factor in. So giving a generic calorie burn for such a versatile piece of equipment would be unreliable that's all I'm saying. I'd use a HRM to log kettlebell circuits or go with circuit training as mentioned above :) As for the 20kcal/min vs 7kcal/min both might be right as the burn varies with the weight of the person :) Wasn't meant to sound shirty, just pointing out that it wouldn't make sense to be in the database.