Newbie totally bummed

Options
So I joined MFP 2 weeks ago or so and am doing pretty good at logging my food and excercise. when I joined I was travelling and did well although I was eating at restaurants every meal for 3 weeks. I think I have lost maybe 1 pound. I am diabetic and recently got on insulin and am having a hard time with it. My sugars are in the 150-250 range and I can't get those down either despite the fact that I keep carbs to a minimum. I am very stressed at work and at home having recently gotten a divorce. I'm trying to take it one meal, one day at a time but I am so frustrated.

Any thoughts. Thanks so much.

Replies

• Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hi There! I know that being a diabetic and trying to lose is hard. My BF is going through this right now and my sister-in-law is a diabetic. I am willing to help you but not able to see your food diary. Would you be willing to make your diary public so we may see what you are eating? That would be helpful in giving you suggestions.

Also, I am starting to read the DASH for weight loss book and it talks about how it helps level out insulin issues so my friend wants me to tell her how to eat.
  • LegalBeagle83
    LegalBeagle83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I hope all is well for you today. I can tell you this... I started eating differently (healthy mixed with some bad) and working out 5 days a week at the end of September 2012. My weight never moved... for 2 months!!! It was very frustrating. I went to the doc for my normal yearly check up. I told him what I have been doing and the weight isn't coming off. He told me to just stick with it and the scale will eventually start to move. He was right. A few days after it started moving! I lost 16 pounds since then without this site. I just joined this site a few days ago... and I am doing much better with it because it is holding me accountable for what I eat and my workouts. Good news is that my blood pressure is finally in the normal range again. I feel healthy. Total bonus and what this should be all about. Just stick with it. Keep a positive attitude. It will start to come off.
  • pgronzo
    pgronzo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Being away from home and eating out all the time makes it difficult. I too am diabetic, type 2, and am on insulin. Are you on anything else, beside the insulin to control it? My doctor also has me on Janumet, wich is a combo of Junuvia and Metforman. My A1C was originnally 12.6. My last check up I had brought it down to 6.2. It has taken me a couple years, but I've done it. It takes time, and isn't going to happen over night. I try to stay away from most "white foods"...bread, rice, potatoes, pasta (which kills me!)...I eat lots of chicken. It's an excellent source of protein, which helps in keeping the "not hungry" feeling. I remember when I first was diagnosed, it was very frustrating. Not only did I have to watch what I ate for weight reasons, now I had a whole new set of rules. It eventually becomes part of your daily routine, as far as what you can and shouldn't eat. Hang in there, you'll get this and your numbers will be down before you know it.
  • Anon4678
    Anon4678 Posts: 37
    Options
    The best advice I can give - HANG IN THERE. Don't give up after a few weeks. If you continue eating well (fewer carbs, more vegetables, be vigilant about your sugar and taking your insulin) - the scale will start moving. It can be very frustrating to keep it up without progress, but you ARE making progress - even if the scale doesn't say so. If you need support, please don't hesitate to send a friend request. :smile: You're not in this alone.
  • Gailtdoa
    Gailtdoa Posts: 9
    Options
    Try eating something small every two hours, obviously watch carbs, and I have also heard nothing but great things about the DASH book, so that my be something to look into as well.
  • leshrew
    leshrew Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, it seems we all struggle so much to loose weight but you have to remember that we are all so different what works for one person may not another. I think you have your head around it all even the difficult issues. you have had an very hard time so just take it one day at a time and don't be hard on yourself if you fall off just get right back on again. good luck with your weight lose and keep your chin up x
  • MzRealMaFigz
    Options
    Struggling with Diabetes is never easy. My husband is a type 2, and between multiple hospitalizations, an infection scare from a tiny scuff on his leg, and weight issues, he has finally smartened up. I've been on MFP for a year now, and he joined in January of this year. Since then, the weight it's taken me a year to loose he's lost in 9 weeks, and is now off insulin. (He needed to give himself a shot in the tummy once a night.) Literally, all we did was change our eating habits. I know Stress is the number one factor in our lives that is constantly there...what we need to do is learn how to deal with it. Once our eating habits changed, so did the stress levels. We each have breakfast, (maybe an english muffin, or cereal, nothing really fancy...), a snack, (fruit, yogurt, crackers), lunch, (usually a salad or he sometimes does a shake), and then we have dinner. (Usually veggies with a protein.) It's hard for us to cook everyday, so those days you can't, or really just don't feel like it; go out to eat if you can. We usually go to Subway, have a 6 inch turkey club, or chicken sandwich. There are ways to do this; you just have to stay within your calories. I wish you luck in your journey, and hope you find your nitch to make this work for you. :) Good luck
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    Hi...I have been on insulin for about 5 years now. I have been able to eliminate my meal time insulin and dramatically cut down my 2x a day insulin by really controling my carb and with food combining. I never eat carbs alone and use a fiber supplement at lunch and dinner to help control blood sugar spikes. I have not been using MFP for very long and am still struggling to eat the amount of calories suggested without taking my blood sugars too high. I walk and ride my stationary bike to help bring my blood sugar down after meals . I'm not losing any weight right now - but I've learned that plateaus are just a part of life . I have given up on getting my fat intake reduced as long as I am trying to keep my calories up around 1200. As it seems eating nuts and meat is the easiest way to get the calories up to around the amount for the day without havving more carbs. Delimna is if I eat more to bring my calories up then I have to exercise to bring my blood sugar back down..which of course means my calorie allocation goes back up and then I'm sort on the calories again.
  • tarafit2
    tarafit2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a newbie, again. I have been doing the Shred Diet and lost 18 pounds in 6 weeks. I need some new friends from Myfitnesspal to help keep me motivated! Add me as a friend!
  • Figs318
    Figs318 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Struggling with Diabetes is never easy. My husband is a type 2, and between multiple hospitalizations, an infection scare from a tiny scuff on his leg, and weight issues, he has finally smartened up. I've been on MFP for a year now, and he joined in January of this year. Since then, the weight it's taken me a year to loose he's lost in 9 weeks, and is now off insulin. (He needed to give himself a shot in the tummy once a night.) Literally, all we did was change our eating habits. I know Stress is the number one factor in our lives that is constantly there...what we need to do is learn how to deal with it. Once our eating habits changed, so did the stress levels. We each have breakfast, (maybe an english muffin, or cereal, nothing really fancy...), a snack, (fruit, yogurt, crackers), lunch, (usually a salad or he sometimes does a shake), and then we have dinner. (Usually veggies with a protein.) It's hard for us to cook everyday, so those days you can't, or really just don't feel like it; go out to eat if you can. We usually go to Subway, have a 6 inch turkey club, or chicken sandwich. There are ways to do this; you just have to stay within your calories. I wish you luck in your journey, and hope you find your nitch to make this work for you. :) Good luck

This, and btw I am the hubby she is talking about. For your blood sugar levels it is really REALLY important that you eat multiple times a day. If you do that it will help balance your sugars over the course of the entire day and bring stability to those levels. I know its tough because i have been dealing with diabetes for about 10 years now, but trust me if you stick to your program and eat throughout the entire day you will eventually get to your goal! Dont give up and keep on! Good luck to you.
  • skyler8937
    Options
    I am not a diabetic so I can't really comment as far as that goes....

But, I can tell you that it's SO important to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. If you're going away on business and you know you'll be eating out often, do your research. Make a list of things that you consider acceptable to eat at a restaurant that won't hinder your weight loss efforts....like, salads with healthy dressings, grilled chicken, fish, turkey burgers, etc. and stick to ordering from your list (as long as the restaurant offers it).

I think that when you go to a new restaurant and you're hungry and they give you their menu, it can be extremely overwhelming and we tend to make impulsive decisions. Making your own list gives you more control over what you order. :-)

Or, if you know ahead of time which restaurant you'll be visiting, look them up online and view their menu ahead of time. Make your choice before going to the restaurant and stick to it. :-)
  • bwnorton
    bwnorton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    First off, keep the faith! While I am not a diabetic, several of my friends are dealing with high blood sugar. It's hard to get it down when traveling. It took time for the levels to rise and it will take time for the body to make enough receptors to lower the blood sugar.

I also have to travel. It's amazing what the restaurants sneak sugar and carbs into when it comes to "healthy" foods. Who knew adding sugar to salads and sauces is something I have to worry about.

A quick win that can help you feel good is increase your walking. Because I'm at airports and offices, I try to get in 10,000 steps a day. It's not cardio, but it does get the body moving! The more the muscles move, the more they take sugar out of the blood.