Ideal Body Weight Charts

Options
4_Lisa
4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
So the other day my 15 year old daughter (5'5, 152lbs) came home upset and emabarrased that in health class her Canadian Standards ideal body weight chart says she is overweight! Now we are having the issue of convincing her she is not!

She is 5'5 and weighs 152 lbs... here's the thing - she's an athlete and very muscular! She has large muscular legs and lower body in general, she plays lacrosse year round and is in a highschool lacrosse academy. She trains and works out 3-4 days a week....

Personally I think there needs to be a change on these charts to reflect muscle mass as well, not just saying that this height you should weight this amoung.... anyone who lifts would never be able to make their 'ideal weight'... then they use these as the standard in their studies? SO she is in the 72% of overweight Canadians, but eats and trains and is very healthy and athletic?

I call BS

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You could take her to have her body fat measured which would reassure her that she has more muscle than fat if she truly is just well muscled. 152 lbs at 5'5" is on the heavy side. The fast that she works out won't negate bad eating habits if she's eating back what she's wearing off. Mom's never see their kids as others do.
  • KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Get her to figure out her BMI, because it is probably perfect for her age.
  • carolacitelli
    carolacitelli Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree. There is no taking into account levels of fitness, body type. Especially bad for girls as it gets them off on the wrong track at an early age. I don't know how we could change it though.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You could take her to have her body fat measured which would reassure her that she has more muscle than fat if she truly is just well muscled. 152 lbs at 5'5" is on the heavy side. The fast that she works out won't negate bad eating habits if she's eating back what she's wearing off. Mom's never see their kids as others do.

She is a machine and is all about fueling her body. Monitors what she eats and is all about nutritional value. She has had her BMI levels checked twice in academy and she was 25% at the begining of the year and at 21% just after Christmas. So well within fitness/athletic levels. However the word 'overweight' on her health sheet negates the idea of body fat index. Unfortunately that is how these young girls are taught to think. It's all about the scale, not body fat!
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Those charts are nonsense. Our US state sends reports of our child's BMI via mail. Some of the kids compare numbers and it can be quite an issue.

Somewhere on these boards I saw a picture of two men, standing side by side. Both 6' 200lb, one incredibly cut and one rolly-polly. Quite an eye-opener.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Get her to figure out her BMI, because it is probably perfect for her age.

Body fat %, not BMI. BMI would be of no use to her as it doesn't reflect muscle mass only a number based on height and weight ratio to which the OPs daughter is dealing with. Unless you're obese BMI is a ridiculous measure to use.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue; I've been a swimmer since I was 6 through college and have always been on the far side of the chart for "average" BMI, borderling "overweight". Body fat percentage is much better to use, here's an article I found useful the other day:

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    BF% really would be a better indicator for her. If it's really upsetting her, or it leads to drastic eating habit changes, I'd send her to a nutritionist to get some explanation. perhaps find some articles on the internet about the height/weight/BMI correlation being a general guideline for an 'average", non athlete person. For example, my husband is 5'5" and around 200 pounds. BMI lists him as morbidly obese. When we get our health reports after our yearly blood tests for our insurance, it comes back practically in read and all caps that he needs to get working on his morbid obesity ASAP. Funny thing is, while he may have a little extra fat around the middle, he sits around 15% body fat at the moment (tested by a trainer with calipers). He eats a ton of protein and lifts HEAVY. He's a powerlifter hell bent on gaining strength and mass. So, yeah, we laugh every time we see that.