Food addiction and Alcohol * sad*

Options
I am so down today so a shame of myself. Hi My name is Julie I live in Indiana, I am 45 years old divorced with no children and I work for a law office. I not only have a food addictions but I have problems with over drinking, they both seem to go hand in hand. I was doing so well, five weeks with maintaining my calorie intake, going to the gym, and not drinking. Last night I decided to have a glass of wine that turned into three and then I ate everything I could get my hands on. Today I feel so bad, so sad that I once again blew it. I would like to connect with other people that have this same problem, become friends and help each other out.

Replies

• tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    OMG I could have wrote that! If I have a drink... it's alllllll over!
  • Bennyflippy
    Bennyflippy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Julie, Have you tried AA for the drinking? That may help as for the food addiciton, I think I have the same thing, but I have gotten so much better about my food choices. I don't keep crap in the house anymore therefore I have to binge on good foor, veggies and fruits. I drink so much water during the day too that helps. Good luck and got beat yourself up about it.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You slipped up, but you didn't "blow it." You don't have to be back at square one. Just don't make the same mistake today, or tomorrow, or the next day... Just get back on track and stay there. You can do it =)
  • monarchangel86
    monarchangel86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the drinking but I had the same problem with food. When you have a bad day like that just remember that every day is a new day. Know where you made your mistakes and change them one day at a time. Fell free to add me I will be happy to help encourage you along your journey. Wishing you the best.
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ah, my alcohol is my downfall. You need to cut down drinking, FORCE yourself to stay at one/two glasses and no more.
  • blackkitty22
    Options
    no I have not tried AA.. my town is so small and I know so many people. I know I should and have thought about it and just always give up.. I try not to keep bad foods in my house. I had some cookies in the freezer for my niece's party this weekend.. got into them.. along with much more.. pop corn is healthy to a point, but not as much as I ate.. it is just a never ending ordeal that gets so OLD!!!!
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! We all have bad days. Just like one good day doesn't make you skinny or fit, one bad day will not make you fat or derail you! Only you can decide to change your pattern =) Learn the lesson (there is a lesson to be learned in everything that we do) and move on.
    Remember that excuses will push you further from your goal. If you keep pushing off your goal, six months from now you will regret not having started. Pushing yourself, trying and not giving up (along with a few bad days) is better than never having started or worse off... quitting! Give it your all and take it step by step. Five weeks is only a drop in the bucket and one bad day is only a drop in the bucket.
    Have you sought help for your drinking issue? I drink almost daily (a glass or two of wine) but I wouldn't say I have an issue. Try to really evaluate yourself.
    Head up and keep on going!
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    dear julie,
    i'm sorry that you feel this way. you admit that you were doing things right for last few weeks and yesterday night you slipped. we all slip time and again but those who are successful they do not fret about it but go on doing the good work on next available opportunity .so, you can feel low and grab another bottle and feel even worse the next day or, take a deep breath, let yesterday night be one exception and go back to your good work and feel better tomorrow.how you are going to feel tomorrow is your choice.take care.
    p.s. if you really feel that alcohol is a problem and your overeating is really an addiction, you should seek professional therapy,better early than late.
    i may sound harsh and kind of too sensible but believe me i feel your pain.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    One night after 2 glasses of wine I ate a whole bag of birdseye steamed broccoli. Thats all I had.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Julie, Have you tried AA for the drinking? That may help as for the food addiciton, I think I have the same thing, but I have gotten so much better about my food choices. I don't keep crap in the house anymore therefore I have to binge on good foor, veggies and fruits. I drink so much water during the day too that helps. Good luck and got beat yourself up about it.

completely agree with this^^^^^^ I am currently in a recovery group called Celebrate Recovery and it is amazing the stuff you learn and it is great to have people that understand what you are going thru and listening to what has and what hasn't worked for others.

You know what works for your fitness goals, so start again today and don't beat yourself up about it.
  • ColleenMertes
    Options
    I quit drinking right before Christmas. I know just having one is not an option for me. When I drank, it was the next day that I ate everything in site because of having a hangover. Please hang in there and if you want to friend me for support I'm here. You don't have to go thru this alone. :wink:
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Consider it a cheat day and move on! I am slowly learning to celebrate the wins and leave the less than great days behind me. So I ate 2.5 good sized no bake cookies and drank 2 (or was it 3?) Blue Moons Tuesday. Wednesday was a new day and I worked it. Stay strong and keep moving forward!
  • blackkitty22
    Options
    Thank you everyone.. Now today I feel bad and I'm hungry and not feeling to good about myself.. so one blown day turns into two.. it's a vicious circle.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a serious problem that requires professional help, regardless of the addiction. You are NOT weak! You just need to learn different coping mechanisms.

Here's something I read on here, that I love, and I fall back on it if I slip (if I can find the topic, I'll post the link). It's a mind set called "Get the **** over it". It's perfect.

Binge eat? Get the **** over it. You HAVEN'T blown it. Restart at your next meal (NOT next week, next Monday, next month).
    Bad day of eating? Get the **** over it. Start again tomorrow.
    Skip exercising? Get the **** over it. Get on the floor and do a few push ups and sit ups.

Basically, stop harping on the slip, or the bad, and IMMEDIATELY start again. This really works for me if I have a bad day - I just get the **** over it, lol!
  • rockyshrode
    rockyshrode Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You didn't blow it: 5 weeks is tremendous, and one night isn't going to erase that. Life can't just be "all or nothing." Turn that shame you're feeling this morning into motivation (because you don't want to go through this again!) and jump back into your healthy lifestyle & choices. We all just do what we can, one step at a time.
  • afrazier128
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! We all have bad days. Just like one good day doesn't make you skinny or fit, one bad day will not make you fat or derail you! Only you can decide to change your pattern =) Learn the lesson (there is a lesson to be learned in everything that we do) and move on.
    Remember that excuses will push you further from your goal. If you keep pushing off your goal, six months from now you will regret not having started. Pushing yourself, trying and not giving up (along with a few bad days) is better than never having started or worse off... quitting! Give it your all and take it step by step. Five weeks is only a drop in the bucket and one bad day is only a drop in the bucket.
    Have you sought help for your drinking issue? I drink almost daily (a glass or two of wine) but I wouldn't say I have an issue. Try to really evaluate yourself.
    Head up and keep on going!

Definitely this! =)
  • blackkitty22
    Options
    I like!!!!
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a serious problem that requires professional help, regardless of the addiction. You are NOT weak! You just need to learn different coping mechanisms.

Here's something I read on here, that I love, and I fall back on it if I slip (if I can find the topic, I'll post the link). It's a mind set called "Get the **** over it". It's perfect.

Binge eat? Get the **** over it. You HAVEN'T blown it. Restart at your next meal (NOT next week, next Monday, next month).
    Skip exercising? Get the **** over it. Get on the floor and do a few push ups and sit ups.

Basically, stop harping on the slip, or the bad, and IMMEDIATELY start again. This really works for me if I have a bad day - I just get the **** over it, lol!

^Awesome! Don't say you will start your diet back on Monday or start the gym again on Monday... do it NOW! There is no time like the present =)
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Black Kitty,

Have you considered Over Eaters Anonymous or Alcoholics Anonymous? You are describing addiction. It is in my family too. I attend Alanon Family meetings and what a relief it has been. It doesn't cost anything and you don't have to say or do anything and you will hear from people who experience exactly what you describe. All you have to do is sit and listen...

It was uncomfortable for me at first because of all the "God" talk. I am not religious but there are others like me and we have all figured out how to make that work for us and our personal belief system.
  • afrazier128
    Options

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing; I'm going to print it out and post it in strategic places!