Are 30 sec runs followed by 2 min walks a good start?

Options
I've just got back to exercising. I'm 5'11" and weigh 220 pounds so you can guess I'm not quite fit. I've just started running on a treadmill and to start off with run 30 seconds and walk at a slow pace for 2 min to recover. I've not experienced any pain (as I'd expected) but want to know if this routine will help me lose weight? And how often should I do it considering I repeat the run-walk-run routine for 30 min each session?

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    do it 3x a week. look into the couch to 5 k program as well; i've not done it but a ton of people on here love it and it will progressively increase your run time and decrease your walk time. as for the time being; yes, your plan sounds good :flowerforyou:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    That's how I started. I'm up to running 4 minutes straight (though on no incline, building that up now.) They tell me eventually I'll be able to run like the wind for miles. I believe them.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great plan! I actually did a run/walk approach for my first marathon. It took 7 hours, but I finished. :-)

As others have said C25K will give you some structure, but you have to do what works for you. Anything that you do is better than doing nothing at all and if you enjoy exercise and don't experience pain, then you'll keep coming back for more!

Good luck and enjoy your runs!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how I started. I started C25K back in October. I went from those 30 second runs killing me, to being able to run 30 min straight no problem. I'm one run away from moving on to the 10K version.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Are you moving? Then yes GREAT start !
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Great goals start small at first and then build upon successes!

Any way you look at it = good for you and your'e move move moving it!

Way to go! keep up the great work!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Try to increase how long you can run each week.
  • bhatius
    bhatius Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Kickass! Thanks! Hope I have something to post in 'Success Stories' soon!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I've just got back to exercising. I'm 5'11" and weigh 220 pounds so you can guess I'm not quite fit. I've just started running on a treadmill and to start off with run 30 seconds and walk at a slow pace for 2 min to recover. I've not experienced any pain (as I'd expected) but want to know if this routine will help me lose weight? And how often should I do it considering I repeat the run-walk-run routine for 30 min each session?

!!!??!?!?! Thats a good size!! I am 6'0 m240 lbs :bigsmile: and have run 5K's 8K's and a 1/2 marathon! 11 minute pace. My best advise is to keep hacking at it........eventually you will build up awesome stamina!!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and started at 220lb back in September. Though I'm ten years older, my experience may be of value to you.

At 220lb I was incredibly unfit. Just the thought of running winded me. Brisk walking would get me out of breath.

I started with daily walks. Generally 20 to 30 minutes, but however long I walked, I made sure it was a pace that I had a hard time keeping up towards the end. That pace gradually increased.

I started the Couch to 5K program when I hit 200 pounds. The program is three times a week, starts with similar intervals to what you are doing now, and gradually increases the amount you run and decreases the amount you walk. It's very well structured, and each week will push you just past your comfort zone.

I finished the C25K program a few weeks back, and now I'm 175 pounds and run 5k three times a week, and I'm working on increasing my pace. I'm currently approaching a consistent 9 minute mile.

Coupled with this program, I maintained a good diet and calorie deficit (diary is open). I also strength train two or three times a week. The differences I am seeing in my body are excellent, and most definitely wife approved, if you know what I mean.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    !!!??!?!?! Thats a good size!! I am 6'0 m240 lbs :bigsmile: and have run 5K's 8K's and a 1/2 marathon! 11 minute pace. My best advise is to keep hacking at it........eventually you will build up awesome stamina!!

Good size if you're <20% body fat. I'm guessing OP is more like I was, 220lb and 40%+ body fat.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Good size if you're <20% body fat. I'm guessing OP is more like I was, 220lb and 40%+ body fat.

Good point. ............I just got started running 3 years ago
  • bhatius
    bhatius Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm at 220 pounds and 30% fat. So, yup...not good!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yes. Keep increasing your run. That's basically what the C25K is...
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I like C25K, but for some of us, it moves too fast. So, here is what I suggest.

-1 Get shoes fitted at a running store - 30 seconds is a run in my book.
    -2 Do some leg strength training to avoid injuries. Squats, lunges and high knees at least. (Add some jumping jacks, some push ups and some planks to get a good work out in.)
    -3 If you can't walk the distance, don't try to run it. If your goal is 5K, walk 5K.
    -4 Add in the intervals you can do. If it's 30 seconds with a 2 minute break, that's cool.
    -5 Listen to your body, AVOID INJURIES at all cost.

It might take you a month to get ready for C25K, but this is a lifestyle change. What matters is that you do the 5K 3 times a week.

Have fun, get some music you love, and go for it.

Just remember, 5Ks are a gateway drug for 10Ks, 1/2 marathons and full marathons.
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Just remember, 5Ks are a gateway drug for 10Ks, 1/2 marathons and full marathons.

Great...just what I need....a new addiction..... :wink: