Why eat exercise calories?

Options
This may seem like a stupid question, but why do we get to eat our exercise calories, and what happens if we don't? To me, eating back the calories I worked so hard to burn seems...well confusing.

I'm on a 1500 calorie diet, and on the nights that I work out, I normally do not eat my exercise calories. Is this something I should be doing? Can somebody explain to me why we should be eating them?

Replies

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I don't always eat my exercise calories and I don't seem to have any problems.

Some people worry about starvation mode, but I hardly think I will go into starvation mode when I have fat on my body, it has never happened before and I don't expect it to happen in the future.

If my weight loss were to slow down I would up my exercise from two to three times per week as I have done before - it worked that time and it will work again.

I'm with you on that one :smile:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I figure that if I eat less than 1200 net cals a day it could put my body into a starvation mode, which means its not getting enough cals to function so it starts storing fat instead of burning, so If I do exercise and my net cals for the day are only like 600-700, I will eat my exercise cals back to get to around the 1200 cals (I get 2000 a day).
  • Chelsinicole63
    Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mfp already calculates a safe calorie deficit to lose weight without your body thinking its starving.. If you dont eat exercise cals you increase that deficit, which will help lose weight faster,( until your body adjusts) but once you eat normally you will gain that weigh back
  • TammySimon
    Options
    It's confusing to me also, I very seldom eat my exercise calories!
  • ieatstickers
    ieatstickers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It confuses me, too. I never eat my exercise calories, even when other people tell me I should. I think it's pretty stupid, since that's what you just burned, and to eat them back seems ridiculous. I say, do what works best for you honey. If not eating them is working, by all means do it. Everyone's body works differently. =)
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    As a general rule, I try to have a 1200 cal plus exercise calorie intake. I weighed a lot when I stared and that often meant that for my goal of 1 pound loss, I was under the MFP intake goal... I think it really depends on your goal and weight. If you don't have much to lose, you really need to evaluate how much you expect to lose and maybe you need to adjust your goal. If you are really over-weight, you may be able to get away with not eating your exercise calories. From my understanding, if you have less than 20 pounds to lose, you may need to set a lower goal and eat some of your exercise calories as weight lose will be much slower.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's certainly up to you. I don't think MFP puts anyone on a calorie deficit so low that they would literally run into starvation mode. It's my understanding that for women that doesn't really happen unless you go under 1200 calories or so.

That being said, if you have exercised strenuously, it can sometimes make you feel hungrier. I view the exercise calories as something I can utilize if necessary. It's not permission to cheat, but it is good to know that I may not need to completely deprive myself either in order to reach my goals. Remember that it isn't good to crash diet. If you are really burning a lot of exercise calories, perhaps you are trying to lose more than a pound or two per week, and that is not healthy.
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    In the forum section under "General diet and weight loss help" check out the first topic titled something like links you want to read again. there is a link to a topic about eating exercise calories... very helpful post!!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's all too confusing. I don't eat my exercise calories. Before websites like MFP were created, people kept food diaries and ate to 1200 or 1500 or wherever and exercised without worrying about eating back calories.

Like i said, I don't eat my calories, but when the times comes and I hit a plateau, I might give it a try.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    When you exercise you are burning all those calories. You need to refuel your body with some of those calories so that your body properly functions. I don't think that it is a way to cheat. MFP already does a deficit and if you don't eat some of those back you will have too much of a deficit.
  • snowangel1975
    Options
    1.) Eating exercise calories- there has been tons of debate on this subject. Let me explain it to you the best I can. You body needs 1200 cals just to live. This 1200 cals is what is used if you sit on the couch all day without moving it is also roughly what your body needs to function properly. Now if you move around example going for a 30 min walk to the store and back you will roughly burn ( depending on how fast you move) 200 cals( just an example). So now your body needs 1400- to prevent it from thinking it's not been starved. Because you took this walk and burned 200 cals you have just tapped into the cals your body needs. Hence, now your body only has 1000 cals to live on for this day. It's is medically proven to be not enough!
    2.) Starvation mode- is your bodys way of storing energy. It's not getting the required cals to live on. It will make it harder to lose weight because now your body is storing some "extras" just to make sure. Do you know where it stores it? In your fat cells. Therefore; turning it into Hydrogenated fat. The jiggly stuff that we are all trying to get rid of.

When I started on this site it required that I eat 1480 cals a day. I did, I eat all my excersise cals. I've lost 25 pounds. Now it has me only eating 1280 cals a day, and I still do eat my excersise cals. < ALL of them.
    I don't want my body to be defied of anything anymore. I have been cruel enough to it for 10 years.
    Hope this helps...if you have any questions just message me!:drinker:
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    In the forum section under "General diet and weight loss help" check out the first topic titled something like links you want to read again. there is a link to a topic about eating exercise calories... very helpful post!!

I think this is the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

It really makes sense. Hope this helps you!
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    1.) Eating exercise calories- there has been tons of debate on this subject. Let me explain it to you the best I can. You body needs 1200 cals just to live. This 1200 cals is what is used if you sit on the couch all day without moving it is also roughly what your body needs to function properly. Now if you move around example going for a 30 min walk to the store and back you will roughly burn ( depending on how fast you move) 200 cals( just an example). So now your body needs 1400- to prevent it from thinking it's not been starved. Because you took this walk and burned 200 cals you have just tapped into the cals your body needs. Hence, now your body only has 1000 cals to live on for this day. It's is medically proven to be not enough!
    2.) Starvation mode- is your bodys way of storing energy. It's not getting the required cals to live on. It will make it harder to lose weight because now your body is storing some "extras" just to make sure. Do you know where it stores it? In your fat cells. Therefore; turning it into Hydrogenated fat. The jiggly stuff that we are all trying to get rid of.

When I started on this site it required that I eat 1480 cals a day. I did, I eat all my excersise cals. I've lost 25 pounds. Now it has me only eating 1280 cals a day, and I still do eat my excersise cals. < ALL of them.
    I don't want my body to be defied of anything anymore. I have been cruel enough to it for 10 years.
    Hope this helps...if you have any questions just message me!:drinker:

I agree with the above! When I first started I thought, "Why eat everything I just burned off", I lost a couple of pounds doing this. Not much maybe 1/2 - 1lb every two weeks or so. Then I realized I was still hungary and binge eating, because my body wasn't getting enough. Because I was only set at 1200 calories and burning around 300 a day. I started eating my exercise calories back a little at a time. And it started taking the weight off alot faster. 1 - 2 pounds a week. Now that I eat about 90% of them back, I am losing every week and I'm at a pretty good pace. I always leave around 20 calories or so, incase of miscalculation. Eating them back has worked well for me.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I try to eat mine and honestly at 1200 cals a day that mfp gives me if I don't earn some exercise cals then I am STARVING! Most days I have to exercise just to get to eat dinner!!! So most of the time I eat them...Just do what your body feels. If you are hungry and you have them, eat them...
  • MissIrvine84
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys, I think I figured out what my problem is. When I first set up MFP It suggested a diet of like 1350 calories. I was afraid that would be too low, so I changed it to 1500 manually, but find myeslf not eating that many calories and exercising on top of it. I think I might just readjust it to 1350 and then eat my exercise calories, which range from 200-400 calories a few times a week. I certainly don't want to go into starvation mode, but with a 1500 calorie diet, and then adding like 200+ calories to it, It feels like I'm eating way too much. Thanks for all the posts, very helpful!

I was on Sparkpepole.com before I joined this website and there was no such thing as eating your exercise calories, and it had put me on a diet of 1550 calories a day. and I was exercising on top of that, but not eating anymore. I guess that is where most of the confusion is coming from!
  • keithinphilly
    Options
    I agree with ieatstickers reply, i never eat my burned calories, it works for me, on april 1st i was 203 lbs, and now as of yesterday i'm 168 lbs, and am excited, but i figure if i'm at , say1000calories, and burn off 1000, i'd be were i was in april, so i figure what i'm going eat for that day, and say i was eating 1000 calories, then i work off 2000 calories, i feel great and really can do more exercises and longer than i could before..
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love my exercise calories, though I don't eat them all everyday. I do eat them so I can still enjoy stuff I love. Tomorrow I'll burn about 1000 cal on a long bike ride, so I plan to have pizza, and I'll still end up under my calorie goal. Yay!
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love my exercise calories, though I don't eat them all everyday. I do eat them so I can still enjoy stuff I love. Tomorrow I'll burn about 1000 cal on a long bike ride, so I plan to have pizza, and I'll still end up under my calorie goal. Yay!

This is what I do, too. Of course, yesterday, I had like 500 cals left over. Today (after a cookout at my family's for Father's Day and no exercise), I went about 500 over! I sure do hope it averages out! Oops.
  • blockeramanda
    blockeramanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is...when you first start MFP it tells you how many calories you need in order to maintain your current weight...look under 'goals'........ but since you're trying to lose weight( i'm assuming) you need to eat less than that.

So say your maintaining calories is 2800 and in order to lose say 1lb a week you'll need to eat 1500 calories. Those 1500 are to be eaten if you don't exercise at all...

So say you workout and earn 300 calories from your exercise so instead of eating 1500 you now have to eat 1800 total. You are still eating the right amount of calories though it may feel like you are eating too many. You need to eat the calories you earn back otherwise according to some you will stop losing weight because you're body will go into starvation mood.

I hope I explained that well enough.
  • TGranneman
    Options
    I ate my extra calories at first, but I haven't for the last week. It didn't make sense to me either. Why go through the trouble to burn calories, if I'm just going replace them with more calories?